LeMans77

Mantaray Steering Arm

Hi, I have a Mantaray that from 90's and the steering arm broke.

Picture attached. 

Model is sitting on non original carbon frame. 

Can anyone recommend a spare preferably not plastic and without having to buy whole sheet of parts. 

Thanks

IMG_20200418_164202.jpg

Try if you can find the same parts from GPM that's the original brand that makes them.

I got the arm parts... In terms of assembly if I am the right the part next Alan key this I think goes in middle whole? Does it go in from top or underside? Then what? Does anyone have a pic of this assembled? TIA. 

IMG_20200605_200257.jpg

I got the arm parts... In terms of assembly if I am the right the part next Alan key this I think goes in middle whole? Does it go in from top or underside? Then what? Does anyone have a pic of this assembled? TIA. 

The next quest does is this the way to assemble arms? This olwould omit the original black screw and wash shown centre

IMG_20200605_202108_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

Correct. The bearings and top hat washers replace the need for a stepped screw.

12 hours ago, LeMans77 said:

Does anyone have a pic of this assembled? TIA. 

2020-03-29_07-27-55

This steering set is a bit fiddly to fit, as if you just put it together and tighten everything up, it binds and won't steer at all. The little drag link screws need to have threadlock placed on their tips, then one needs to slide them through the arms and bushings and screw them into the drag link, carefully adjusting them so that they don't bind but don't have excess slop either. Once the threadlock has set, the big screws that go through the main bearings and their spacers to attach the rack to the chassis can be added. Again careful adjustment is needed so that the bearings aren't sloppy but don't bind.

Once installed and adjusted though, it is a good, sturdy setup, far smoother and less sloppy than the stock plastic arms and bent wire drag link. I use these sets on my DF-01, TA-02 and FF-01, all of which have held up well to use.

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

This steering set is a bit fiddly to fit, as if you just put it together and tighten everything up, it binds and won't steer at all. The little drag link screws need to have threadlock placed on their tips, then one needs to slide them through the arms and bushings and screw them into the drag link, carefully adjusting them so that they don't bind but don't have excess slop either. Once the threadlock has set, the big screws that go through the main bearings and their spacers to attach the rack to the chassis can be added. Again careful adjustment is needed so that the bearings aren't sloppy but don't bind.

Once installed and adjusted though, it is a good, sturdy setup, far smoother and less sloppy than the stock plastic arms and bent wire drag link. I use these sets on my DF-01, TA-02 and FF-01, all of which have held up well to use.

Do they work on the Top Force or just the plastic tub cars?

22 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I tried mine on my top force, didn’t work well, I’d get a TF specific set. Will speed make some nice ones in the UK

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Thanks for all the useful info. Going to have another go at it then. I may be back! 

Finally getting back onto this... Is this as seen in picture the correct assembly for going throughbthe middle whole? What part do you thread lock? 

On 6/5/2020 at 8:07 PM, LeMans77 said:

IMG_20200605_200257.jpg

On 6/5/2020 at 8:29 PM, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

i don't have the manta ray steering but found two builds that have it installed. i would message this person for more pics as still around. hope it helps.

4ADE54C0-EBAA-4848-9A1E-260A8FE97AFD.thumb.jpeg.a4ac4ab0280dcefa0db9aff78f5dac8d.jpg

2018-08-11_10-33-19.thumb.jpg.9be62aebc3c02890e755ea5ceb3cc9d1.jpg

IMG_20200628_184837.jpg