Reliver

Slowing down a neo scorcher for my kids

I recently asked about bigger wheels for a scorcher and was very impressed with the help.

Also looking to slow it down for the kids.

Some threads have suggested limiting the travel of the controller (I have read that running at low speeds for long can cause damage?) but what about a crawler motor? If so which one...would it be 55t and with brushes?

Any help appreciated?

Alun

Yeah.  That's my first thought.  But wont running the car at low speeds for long cause damage? I mean for a motor that's meant to go faster. 

A 50t or 80t motor works best. I have run both for my kids in a few different cars. 

A brushed motor is cheap and the kids can just keep it wide open all the time and worry about the steering 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

Why not just put the silver 540 in?

JJ

A silvercan is still to fast for kids in a confined space. They need to be able to just keep it wide open and just steer to start with.

• Thanks 1

That’s why I suggested putting something behind the trigger - Lego blocks

3    2 x 1 flats 

then you can reduce slowly and the car gets faster 

JJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks guys. Will have a look at both options.  Lego is a great idea.  What would be the top speed on a 50t and 80t?

16 minutes ago, Reliver said:

Thanks guys. Will have a look at both options.  Lego is a great idea.  What would be the top speed on a 50t and 80t?

80t was about right for 6-8 and the 50t was ok for 8+.

My son is 10 now and is just about getting it with a silvercan in a confined space.

I have a 50T spare if you want it. Just cover the postage. Drop me a pm

• Thanks 1

You will then need to build a new car for yourself at full speed 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd give the kids more credit than that. My son has been playing with Tamiya's since 2 1/2 and is almost 7 now. Hes running his HB D413 with a 17.5T and Ae B6D with 13.5T in our backyard at full speed. His HB is a tad slower than mine and our B6's are evenly matched, and mine are both setup for stock class racing so are really too fast for the backyard

I bought radios with EPA rather than slower motors to start with as the silvercan was obviously too fast for him at the start. That way the cars could be slowed down for him and his friends but back to normal for the next person without stopping play.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Jonathon.  I wondered why the model shop hadn't suggested the controller to do that.  I expect none in stock. Any model of radio you'd suggest?

21 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

You will then need to build a new car for yourself at full speed 😂

That's the plan. Although my wife was horrified at the initial cost for a childs toy...although we all know it was for me.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Reliver said:

That's the plan. Although my wife was horrified at the initial cost for a childs toy...although we all know it was for me.

Same thing happened to me when I built the first 2 TT02B's. I didnt know about Banggood, Hobbyking, RCMart etc and spent about 40% more than I would now for the same thing.

22 minutes ago, Reliver said:

Thanks Jonathon.  I wondered why the model shop hadn't suggested the controller to do that.  I expect none in stock. Any model of radio you'd suggest?

My son found  stick controller easier when he was younger. Since I didn't know any better I boguht the Futaba 2HR and just used a bit of foam to stop the travel of the stick. The Flysky FSi6 works but you need to add a spring to the throttle and also lock the extra movement of the sticks. A few people have done it with 3D printed parts, i think you can order them. @ThunderDragonCy uses one I think. These open up a lot of other things you can do too. With 6 channels you can make tanks and diggers and stuff, using cheap parts from Banggood.

If they like the pistol type then the Flysky GT3C is the way to go for a cheaper option, not the B as that use 8AA batteries so its heavy. The C comes with a lipo too if you order from Banggood (it may do from all the other places too). The GT2 doesn't have EPA and only has single model memory, the GT3C has 10 model memory I think.

My son uses the Futaba 3PV which is great as its quite small so its good for little hands. Its about twice the price of the Flysky, and recievers are about 5 times as much too...but Futaba quality. There are also 3rd party receivers around which are much cheaper. I use Sanwa and receivers are about USD60 or something but I just got a couple of clones for NZD40 from banggood and they seem to work fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Reliver said:

Yeah.  That's my first thought.  But wont running the car at low speeds for long cause damage? I mean for a motor that's meant to go faster. 

I don't think it does.  Maybe it did 20 years ago when I had to spend $100 for an ESC.  Nowadays, electronic parts are so much better, it won't damage the ESC.  As far as the motor is concerned, it doesn't know whether it's getting full power or intermittent power.  If anything the motor will last longer.  

Flysky GT3C has EPA (end point adjustment).  

But if you want to get a motor instead, 

Stock silver can 27t would have 15,000 rpm

35t would have 13,000 rpm

45t would have 9000 rpm

55t would have 7500 rpm

However, you might find that after getting a 45t or 55t, it might still be too fast. Because how fast is so subjective, it changes all the time, even for me.  In that case, you'd have to adjust EPA anyway.  But if you get a 55t motor and decided not to use it, you will have to buy a crawler.  You can't let a perfectly good motor to go waste.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Juggular said:

I don't think it does.  Maybe it did 20 years ago when I had to spend $100 for an ESC.  Nowadays, electronic parts are so much better, it won't damage the ESC.  As far as the motor is concerned, it doesn't know whether it's getting full power or intermittent power.  If anything the motor will last longer.  

Flysky GT3C has EPA (end point adjustment).  

But if you want to get a motor instead, 

Stock silver can 27t would have 15,000 rpm

35t would have 13,000 rpm

45t would have 9000 rpm

55t would have 7500 rpm

However, you might find that after getting a 45t or 55t, it might still be too fast. Because how fast is so subjective, it changes all the time, even for me.  In that case, you'd have to adjust EPA anyway.  But if you get a 55t motor and decided not to use it, you will have to buy a crawler.  You can't let a perfectly good motor to go waste.   

Does it have separate endpoint adjustments? I have found on some of mine you can turn the range down so it is nice and slow but then you get no brakes.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Does it have separate endpoint adjustments? I have found on some of mine you can turn the range down so it is nice and slow but then you get no brakes.

On both my FSi6 and GT5 (both flysky) you can adjust the forward side only by using the throttle dual rate adjustment instead of the end point. Turn the dual rate down to 40 on 50% on the throttle side and leave it 100% on the brake side. I have done the opposite with some curve adjustment too in order to try and tame the overly harsh brakes on the 1060 copy esc i have in the Comical Hornet. It is possible to adjust the end points separately too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi all.  Thanks for all the information.  

The flysky controllers do seem to be the way forward. Interesting how much you find out after just buying the car.

Appreciate the reply on the overheating question @juggular 

All-Great controller advice

Must admit.  Had to read all the threads several times before I understood!

• Like 3

Just a swerve ball, food for thought 🙄,

My 5yr old daughter had kind of got used to my stick controller, and was up at 50% on the end point , running 2s, 15t Firebolt in a Boomer.

A mate said one of his lads preferred sticks, and one prefered ,a wheel, so I bought a wheel to try, and an ,Absima landed on my doorstep on Tuesday. 

Yesterday she was quite happy at 70%! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

Just a swerve ball, food for thought 🙄,

My 5yr old daughter had kind of got used to my stick controller, and was up at 50% on the end point , running 2s, 15t Firebolt in a Boomer.

A mate said one of his lads preferred sticks, and one prefered ,a wheel, so I bought a wheel to try, and an ,Absima landed on my doorstep on Tuesday. 

Yesterday she was quite happy at 70%! 

Thanks for that and food for thought.  We have almost finished building it so cant wait to see how he gets on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1