Finnsllc

Corona Spending

So as we are all unfortunately staying home, i'm in the US and i know we are all locked down. How much have you spent on the lockdown? i have defiantly gone overboard. Between receivers and kits i'm certainly $2000 US dollars into getting parts and kits and pieces. I'm not complaining, just wondering what you all have overspent while we are dealing with this world issue  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Finnsllc said:

So as we are all unfortunately staying home, i'm in the US and i know we are all locked down. How much have you spent on the lockdown? i have defiantly gone overboard. Between receivers and kits i'm certainly $2000 US dollars into getting parts and kits and pieces. I'm not complaining, just wondering what you all have overspent while we are dealing with this world issue  

Around $1500 so far for me. Might be over the $2K mark by the end of the week lol 

• Like 1

Totally am now committed to builds i started and kits on the way, waiting for japan orders, amazon orders and online hobby shop orders. Obviously non of us want this going on but that being said, i've definatly had alot of fun building. Only problem is now i'm going brushless and learing that i dont know brushless. so i ave no battery connectors and i now need to learn LIPO

I thought I was going overboard at about £300

• Like 5

Back in March, before anybody in the UK was really talking about Corona as much more than something happening elsewhere, I decided to break into a rainy day fund to get myself an SMT10.  So I was already spending big before lockdown arrived.  Since then I've been focussing on staying stocked with sundries - screws, allthread, alu sheet and bar stock, paint, tools, anything that I can use to finish off these hundreds of projects I have.  My spending is nowhere near others in this thread but I'm 75% thru April's leisure budget already.  This morning I spend yet more money on a paid version of VRC Pro.  I'm hoping I don't have to spend any more this month as it would be nice to keep some cash back for bigger purchases next month.

I see people spending money on power systems, batteries, motors, receivers etc and I can't help but wonder why - I can only run stuff in my garden so there's no point in me spending money on speed.  I might as well buy parts and kits to enjoy building at home and wait until things are a bit more normal before I buy power.  To be honest I only really run my cars at public events and we have no idea how long it will be before we can have any public events, so it could be ages before I need to spend on power.  I'm just doing my best to enjoy some custom-building and giving my projects the attention they deserve.

As I've mention elsewhere, between full-time work and childcare, I have less spare time than I did before lockdown so it's all about getting the absolute most out of it and doing my best to stay sane.

• Like 4

I tried to convince the wife ... we're saving £1k a month on Childcare, so... NOW is the time for me to get these new kits and teach our boy how to build.  It'd be educational.

She didn't buy into it.  Still on a £300 budget.  The government needs to introduce a "prevent dad's going insane during lockdown" fund B).  I do wonder if there will be a load of freshly built kits for sale after we all come out of hiding.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I’ve spent £150  on Tamiya and around £300 on other items to entertain the kids. 

So we are doing ok and I’ll try and keep it that way,  I’ll sell some models to offset what I have spent on me and as everything we booked up has been cancelled and we can’t go out to eat or to the pub and there are no travel costs we are in a fairly good place.

Food bills are understandably higher and my income will take a massive hit for the next 6 months from this month onwards, but at as I can see that coming I can prepare for it in advance. 

Most importantly we are all healthy, well and still sane 😳 

• Like 1

I'm saving £100 a week not going to the boozer, so bought a Toyato Bruiser and an iPhone SE2020

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Ive spent more money on kits to build. We here in the USA are dealing with a high level of the corona. I'm on the North East corridor so we are getting hit hard. Anyway, we have been shut down for a month, kids are basically not going back to school til   september. Cant say im upset to be forced home, only wish i could get hobby supplies as online is really slow I've been waiting for servos for a month. Have three kits coming that i have to deal with, one came yesterday, two next week. two of those are for my boys, each, to build together with me. But, ive got a reciever problem. As i cant get them delivered. @Butler Our liquer stores are open. haha

I’ve bought 3 kits (manta ray, Subaru brat, Durga)

plus bearings, paints, parts 

plus some stuff to get the grasshopper back to mint 

I reckon £600

BUT

sold my clod #2 for £300, sold a number of Lego kits for about £600, sold some car parts I had laying around for about £200

so it’s defo the time to sell 👍🏻

JJ

• Like 1

I've spent the last few years racking up projects and parts for them so I haven't needed to buy anything new yet.

I did make a Shapeways order so £40 spent on RC so far.

As @Mad Ax said, 

1 hour ago, Mad Ax said:

, between full-time work and childcare, I have less spare time than I did before lockdown so it's all about getting the absolute most out of it and doing my best to stay sane.

A few days off last week meant I could work on some stuff but I'm back WFH now so no Tamiya time for the foreseeable.

BUT this is not a moan - I am grateful for being in work and still healthy. My kits have waited this long, they can wait a little longer!

• Like 2

I havent spent too much extra since the lockdown, probably about $30 on some balsa wood and lead. I have a bunch of leftovers from my first build so just need a bit of balsa and lead and I am very close to building a second. Once I'm further along I'll probably spend another $130 on a decent sail servo and another Flysky FSi6 so we can use them both together. Oh an paint.

I also made a special for for some hicaps which was really just to support a local LHS and the dyna storm chock tower to mount them.

Otherwise my purchases have been stuff I was buying anyway, or replacements for broken parts. A new shortie and some broken HB parts

I would say we are saving on not going out but i don't think we really are. We have fuel efficient cars so that was cheap, we don't go out that much other than to friends which is cheap, so we are probably spending more being locked in as all the craft breweries are essential services and delivering...

I've spent zero. Income is in the toilet and will be for the foreseeable future. My girlfriend said she would break up with me if I buy any more "car stuff." I absolutely agree with her. I broke the rental contract on my second apartment and she helped me clean it out, in the process discovering the full extent of my Tamiya addiction.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

I’ve bought 3 kits (manta ray, Subaru brat, Durga)

plus bearings, paints, parts 

plus some stuff to get the grasshopper back to mint 

I reckon £600

BUT

sold my clod #2 for £300, sold a number of Lego kits for about £600, sold some car parts I had laying around for about £200

so it’s defo the time to sell 👍🏻

JJ

Out of curiosity, how are you posting the items? 

I have a few things to sell but don't want to head to the post office. 

39 minutes ago, cowboyjon said:

I am using Myhermes. They collect from the house for 60p extra.

I know they don’t have the best reputation but I have always found them to be ok

Andi

• Like 2

Until recently where they completely lost an xbox one I posted with them I'd have agreed with you! 

I'll never use them again. 

10 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

I know they don’t have the best reputation but I have always found them to be ok

The guy that delivers Hermes packs to me is very reliable - can't complain

Not overspent on RC stuff , but the food shopping bill has gone through the roof !! - a lot of beer in there though to be fair

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

I see people spending money on power systems, batteries, motors, receivers etc and I can't help but wonder why - I can only run stuff in my garden so there's no point in me spending money on speed

I've seen a few cars in the local park , but the Police patrols move people on for just sitting on a bench ,let alone running a car incase it causes a 'crowd' ,  so you're right , not a lot of opportunity to run cars anywhere really without some hassle . I guess some guys like to complete the car ready to launch once were out of this mess - fair play :)

I missed the boat on the 'cheap' TA02SW GT2 Porsches at around £120 last year, so naturally I've bought all the bits separately in order to build my own :rolleyes:

With the help of some TC members I hope the bits will arrive before the lockdown ends, especially with bits coming from so many sources, as it could all go missing by the time I get to build it!!

1 hour ago, cowboyjon said:

Parcel2go - it’s a compare postal service

most go hermes 24hr 

£6 for up to 30kg but limited to something like 2.2m^3

JJ

24 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I missed the boat on the 'cheap' TA02SW GT2 Porsches at around £120 last year, so naturally I've bought all the bits separately in order to build my own :rolleyes:

With the help of some TC members I hope the bits will arrive before the lockdown ends, especially with bits coming from so many sources, as it could all go missing by the time I get to build it!!

I was just talking about this with a friend today - he’s gutted he missed them 

JJ

I'll be planning my financial splash out for about 2 weeks after it's all gone back to normal (August 2021,2022?) And I can swoop in like a vulture to go over all the kits people built out of boredom and decided they didn't like or the old junkers the turfed out of the loft during a deep clean :D

In all seriousness I have likely overspent, I'm probably upto £50 per month over £10-30 normally but I am making more money through overtime at work as I'm the only one left. I think I'm up maybe 200 a month which makes the constant barrage of eBay trinkets easier to justify.

4 hours ago, Butler said:

I'm saving £100 a week not going to the boozer, so bought a Toyato Bruiser and an iPhone SE2020

Quality, I’ve got 5 teenagers to house, clothe and feed, 1 expensive ex wife and a expensive new wife so there will no Bruiser for me 😂

• Haha 2

I ordered another Flysky receiver and a Hobbywing ESC.  Trying not to go overboard with spending since I'm now on unemployment.