cowboyjon

The Racing Fighter: best tamiya for your buck?

... and I haven't even built it yet! 

For £90 this buggy comes complete with cva shocks, a torque tuned 540 motor, tamiyas brushless capable esc and a modern chassis. Compare that to the £84 we spent recently on our grasshopper, which we admittedly love, which comes with toy grade friction shocks a 380 motor, and a 24 year old chassis design.

We all know tamiya shafts us with nostalgia prices but it really hit home for me when this Racing Fighter turned up at the door. Obviously you get a lot more for your hard earned cash with other brands but for these both to be tamiya just kinda blows my mind! 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cowboyjon said:

... and I haven't even built it yet! 

For £90 this buggy comes complete with cva shocks, a torque tuned 540 motor, tamiyas brushless capable esc and a modern chassis. Compare that to the £84 we spent recently on our grasshopper, which we admittedly love, which comes with toy grade friction shocks a 380 motor, and a 24 year old chassis design.

We all know tamiya shafts us with nostalgia prices but it really hit home for me when this Racing Fighter turned up at the door. Obviously you get a lot more for your hard earned cash with other brands but for these both to be tamiya just kinda blows my mind! 

I was looking at kits the other day for a friend who is wanting a car but is coming to terms with the price - its a lot when you have to buy everything.

I reckon the Manta Ray takes the bang for buck title. Its still a capable chassis and comes with CVAs and rcmart have it for USD92. It seems excellent value for money. I dont have one but assume that it'll perform as well as a Top Force for most backyard racing, and the Top Force is my favourite runner, but cost well over twice as much. It has the right balance of proper buggy and modern handling

• Like 1

The Racing Fighter is a great basher chassis and I've always wondered why it's so cheap.  It shares parts with the DT-02, which is a lot older and more expensive.  The DT-03 is no less advanced than the DT-02, it just follows a slightly different design principle.

I love my DT-03.  I'd love to have a DT-02 as well but the price always puts me off when compared to the 03.

• Like 1

I'm looking at buying either this or an aqroshot next, where did you get it for £90?

49 minutes ago, BP2411 said:

I'm looking at buying either this or an aqroshot next, where did you get it for £90?

Jadlam, last week. 

There was a UK wide shortage of them, then a shipment must have came in because suddenly everyone was selling them. 

Sold out pretty fast too. 

I got mine from Tamico for €89.

Including postage it worked out something like £84.

Love it, brilliant buggy, other than bearings needs nothing to make it a great runner.

• Like 1