Northern_Ben

Stripped a chassis thread! - CA glue?

Morning everyone,

I managed, somehow, to strip the thread from the plastic on my CC01 chassis last night. Weirdly, it only seemed to strip when I was undoing the screw, but anyway.....

Thinking that a small amount of CA glue in to the hole should mean that the screw can bite again. Does that sound about right? Epoxy resin is surely too hard? 

Other options seem to be new chassis, helicoil kit or drill through and use threaded rod and nuts. What's the group opinion!?

Thanks 👍

There's a known fix for this using superglue and cotton buds.

Yes I’ve filled a stripped hole with CA glue, let it set then cut a new thread with success before, but have since heard about an even better method, being “Add a drop to the hole and add a drop of oil to the threads of the set screw. Install as normal. The oil will prevent the glue from sticking to the threads but form very tight to the screw and hole.”

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Butler said:

There's a known fix for this using superglue and cotton buds.

Ah I've not heard of this. Is it just a case of using the cotton bud to swab the inside of the hole with CA glue?

2 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Yes I’ve filled a stripped hole with CA glue, let it set then cut a new thread with success before, but have since heard about an even better method, being “Add a drop to the hole and add a drop of oil to the threads of the set screw. Install as normal. The oil will prevent the glue from sticking to the threads but form very tight to the screw and hole.”

Sorry for being a bit slow, do you mean add CA glue, to the hole and let it set, then add oil to the screw and screw it in?

If it’s a set screw and not a self-tapper, I believe Schumacher also do a special kit where you insert a miniature helicoil type thread. So maybe check their website.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Northern_Ben said:

Sorry for being a bit slow, do you mean add CA glue, to the hole and let it set, then add oil to the screw and screw it in?

Sorry, add a drop of glue to the hole, then screw in the oiled screw immediately so as the glue dries in the shape of the threads. I haven’t actually tried isn method myself, but in theory it makes a lot of sense. The person who suggested 5his has done it a lot on shock ends that are stripped with success

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Sorry, add a drop of glue to the hole, then screw in the oiled screw immediately so as the glue dries in the shape of the threads. I haven’t actually tried isn method myself, but in theory it makes a lot of sense. The person who suggested 5his has done it a lot on shock ends that are stripped with success

Brilliant, yeah it does make sense, think that'll be my first step. Then the helicoil/Schumacher kit if that fails! 

Any suggestions on which CA glue is best? 

1 minute ago, Northern_Ben said:

Brilliant, yeah it does make sense, think that'll be my first step. Then the helicoil/Schumacher kit if that fails! 

Any suggestions on which CA glue is best? 

I’ve found that glue that I buy from Japanese “cheap” stores very good, otherwise a good tyre glue will do the trick

44 minutes ago, Northern_Ben said:

Ah I've not heard of this. Is it just a case of using the cotton bud to swab the inside of the hole with CA glue?

You cover the bud in glue, push the whole thing into the hole and cut off the rest sticking out. You then screw into the inserted straw of the cotton bud.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Butler said:

You cover the bud in glue, push the whole thing into the hole and cut off the rest sticking out. You then screw into the inserted straw of the cotton bud.

That also sounds like a solid option, thanks!

If it doesn't work I would drill through and use a nut and bolt if possible , it won't happen again .

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

If it doesn't work I would drill through and use a nut and bolt if possible , it won't happen again .

Yeah that's the final step, 3mm threaded rod and a couple of nuts should sort it out if the CA fails 👍

• Like 1

Thick or medium CA works well to repair stripped holes. In high stress areas, I've glued a long set screw into the stripped hole to use as a stud, which has worked well on several regular runners.

• Like 1