junkmunki

The wizard put a spell on me.

I have always had a soft spot for the humble road wizard. I love the simplicity of the chassis, and the fact that they came with two shells long before the re re Brat did, so you could have a shelfer, and a basher.

I have many examples of the F1 chassis cars, but the box art on the road wizard is definitely my favorite.

Any one else have a thing for the old on road stuff?

J

• Like 2

Totally not an on-road guy myself, but the Road Wizard would be one of the few exceptions for me. I love it. The unique boxart (and layout) plus the two bodies and the delicate, almost graceful nature of the car all work together for me as well. I even like the unique name.

Just realised, there should have been a picture in the first post!

I think i've covered just about all the livery combos that the road wizard came with.

J

spacer.png

• Like 1

They look great. Any pics of the chassis? How do these fit in the timeline of the F1 series of cars?

32 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

They look great. Any pics of the chassis? How do these fit in the timeline of the F1 series of cars?

The road wizard was the first of the onroad chassis that had the frp chassis with the plastic front arms. It was the pre curser to the F102 chassis.

The main difference is the front arms are different, these were redesigned to be stronger, as the Wizard had a tendancy to snap the rigid top arms, and the body mount positions were move on the later cars, but the lower chassis plate is basicaly the same as the F102,103 and F201 that came after, with just a different top plate.

The motor mounting cage and axle mount is slightly different on the later cars, with the shock absorber mounted across the top of the motor down to the base of the rear wing mounting point, and the way the rear wing stay mounted is also different. The F103s and later cars, only differed in small detail.

J

Jspacer.png

Road wizard on the left, F102 chassis on the right.

spacer.png

The front arms were modified to stop them snapping.

• Like 1

No, this is kind of the first F101 chassis, although when they produced the next batch of kits, it was renamed as such. It was only with the F102, that major change came.

J

• Like 1

Thank you - its a shame about the sponsorship side of things now as back then just the colours alone were instantly recognisable to almost everyone even if you werent a motorsport fan. Iconic!

I just gotta say: the JPS livery is still one of the prettiest race car paint jobs of all time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markbt73 said:

I just gotta say: the JPS livery is still one of the prettiest race car paint jobs of all time...

I totally agree.

I have two of the 58020 Lotus 79s in the JPS livery. I will be completing the restorations and posting them up soon.

J