Sign in to follow this  
mtbkym01

Mould Release Removal

Probably been asked a million times, but what do people use to remove mould release from tyres? I just fitted the Black Clod tyres to the wheels, and a lot of mould release has appeared on the tyres. Normally I would spray them with simple green and hose off, but I don't want to risk exposing the Black Chrome wheels to that?

Any tips?

would normal dish washing detergent or iso propyl alcohol not be enough?

• Like 1

Probably a silly question to ask of someone as knowledgeable as yourself, but did you clean the tyres first and the mold release has exuded since?

10 hours ago, Falcon#5 said:

Probably a silly question to ask of someone as knowledgeable as yourself, but did you clean the tyres first and the mold release has exuded since?

I’m thinking I’ll take them back off the wheels (beautiful black chrome finish) and just give them a scrub. My thoughts were that more mould release agent would be “released” again when I manipulate them back onto the wheels. I did brush some simple green on 1 of the tyres, but it didn’t seem to do much :o

**Edit - The tyres were nice and black in the box, its the manipulation of fitting them to the wheels that 'exposes' the mould release white agent

Edited by mtbkym01
Extra Info

Pulled them off the rims, filled the kitchen sink with hot water and Morning Freshh, scrubbed with a scrubbing brush.........and they’re still not nice and black 🤬, got a cleaning agent that Mrs mtbkym01 suggested I try, so once they’re dry I will give them a spray and soak with that

• Like 1

Well that didn’t work either, so Next was some Wet Look tyre shine for my 1/1 car, that gave them a nice shiny look, but left a residue that I wanted to remove, so a quick spray with Simple Green (after leaving them to adsorb the tyre shine for a day and a half) and a rinse of with water and.......

49858426671_9f386750ed_k.jpg

• Like 2

Well done mate!

Your pain has been for the greater good, you now have the solution for everyone else. B)

• Thanks 1