Blista

Tamiya TC-01 chassis teased.

A new touring chassis from Tamiya.  Looks like it has a Formula E body.  Shaft driven 4WD but no other information that I could see.

• Like 4

Looks like it. But when you hear or read the abbreviation "TC", Touring Car comes to mind first. So If it ain't a touring car chassis, they should re-name it to something else like "TE" or "TF".

• Like 1

Interesting.  Given the TB05 is pretty new and doesn't have an R or MS version yet, and the TT02 is still being developed with the Type SR, where do you think this one would fit?  Other than the obvious of using the resources that should've been used on the DB03!

It's interesting that they didn't go for Fxx name. Does it mean that chassis won't be exclusively for formula type bodies?

• Like 1

Not knowing whether its an entry level, top end or somewhere in between chassis makes any speculation very erm....speculative. 

Might make a great base for a Zakspeed Capri though.....here's hoping .

• Like 1

This is an image taken from the video that's circulating online. Looks interesting to me. 

20200421_104642.jpg

39 minutes ago, Bromley said:

Not knowing whether its an entry level, top end or somewhere in between chassis makes any speculation very erm....speculative. 

Might make a great base for a Zakspeed Capri though.....here's hoping .

That would be excellent 😁

Well...  Er...  I have no idea what to make of this.  I'm not really a fan of 4wd formula cars since they are (almost by definition) RWD, and RWD RC F1 is already a successful thing.  So I have no idea if this is supposed to be a spiritual successor to the F201, or a replacement for one of the other smooth-surface touring chassis, or something entirely new.  Can we even be sure it is 1:10 scale..?

Formula E car huh?

Probably be more exciting than the real thing :lol:

I've been after a Formula 1 style Tamiya for a while but always put it off because of lack of places I could run something that low, but my F103GT seems pretty resilient so maybe I can be tempted by this...

I'm actually pretty excited for this since I am a big fan of Formula E. My 2 guesses are it will be in the "Star unit" lineup (Lunchbox mini, Dancing Rider) and be low cost, or be M-Chassis sized.

• Like 2

In the teaser you can see the sponsors. Search the sponsors and you find this. 

At first the thinking would be “TC = Touring Car” - but this is simply the next lineage of TA and TB - so a new chassis family.  The B in TB doesn’t stand for belt either remember. 

DFB77F23-DCC9-49B4-A1B4-E2B9D465CDC8.jpeg

• Like 5

Given the Formula-E tease, I'm hoping it has lay-down suspension on both ends to accommodate that sleek body. My F201 is getting jealous at the thought!

• Like 1

I am glad that they are at last making a Formula E car, but I wonder at their choice of yet another subject-inappropriate drivetrain choice for it. Given the unpopularity of the F201 compared to the enduring appeal of the F103 and F104, it seems an odd decision.

2 hours ago, jupitertwo said:

This looks like the body that was created for the Formula E launch event

I believe the body (or bodies, I think he made around 15 for that short ad) was made by a UK based individual rather than Tamiya though he used Tamiya underneath.

Just as fascinating are the tracking vehicles they created to make the as...

Not to get off topic but can I say how much I hate teaser videos?  If it's a new rc that is innovative and or interesting, I'll check it out.  The trend of teaser videos has to go away!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

I am glad that they are at last making a Formula E car, but I wonder at their choice of yet another subject-inappropriate drivetrain choice for it. Given the unpopularity of the F201 compared to the enduring appeal of the F103 and F104, it seems an odd decision.

Maybe Tamiya will give us something crazy like shaft-driven RWD :P

While not a fan of Formula E, in the slightest, it's always nice to get a new chassis and see how creative minds implement it.

Personally I would like to see a Jaguar XJR-9 on a suitable chassis. Whether this could be it I have no idea.

But it would be a very cool release.😁

On 4/21/2020 at 5:48 AM, Hairyjon313 said:

This is an image taken from the video that's circulating online. Looks interesting to me. 

20200421_104642.jpg

I'm intrigued by this.  Since it's a TC (like a TA or TB) and not a F10x, maybe it has a 257 mm wheelbase?  I keep looking at the front fenders and exposed suspension arms, and I wonder where the dampers are.  Is there a new IFS setup?  Are they copying Awesomatix's rotary dampers?  It also makes me wonder about new 1/10 low-nose bodies.  They have a license for the Lancia Stratos in their static model lineup; this chassis looks like it could support such a body.  Regarding drivetrain, 4WD is definitely easier to drive...  Looking forward to seeing more details when they come out.

• Like 1

This seems an unusual release to me, very limited market? I guess they can produce a number of liveries off of one tooling commitment, but who is this marketed too? Maybe the Japanese Domestic market were looking for a new class to race. Don't get me wrong it looks very interesting, and I'm keen to see under body shots.

I think that the market will be a fair bit bigger than just the JDM. Formula E has a lot of followers, some of whom might not have considered getting a RC car until this comes along. Plus there are the Tamiya fans who will want to try something different, who are spread throughout the world. I think it will sell quite well. And yes, with Formula E cars all being the same shape, it'll be dead easy for them to release a bunch of different liveries to represent the different teams in the series.

I think this is neat idea. 4WD is easier to drive, independent suspension car drive on rougher surface and semi-closed FE body protects chassis better than F1 body, so it'll be more suitable to drive around just for fun.

A few photos from the latest clip give a hint about the suspension set up.

CBf2Hv9.jpg

jnNgWtB.jpg

WNOFcHH.jpg

• Like 2