The light in the workshop was getting a bit difficult to photograph in (too much light and shadow) so I came out onto the bins to get some complete chassis shots.

P4040043.jpg

P4040044.jpg

I had a quick drive up and down the lane.  The truck tracks straight and true and bounces a lot over the a raised kerb.  On 3S with silvercans it's quite driveable although not blisteringly fast.  Probably fast enough for me in this area, but it will feel really slow on a big track.

Anyway, then it was time for the final touch to the body - the name!

Now, there have already been some hints in the right direction, but no spoilers.  I have already mentioned I have two '79 bodies and that they will be sister trucks.  In a previous photo there was a shot of a new-build standard Super Clod chassis.  So we've got two Clods - one standard, one custom.  Once my ideas-jamming session took me down the avenue of twins with a myths-and-legends theme, I found myself buried in ancient Greek mythology and reading through the names of hundreds of twins.  After some time, the answer jumped out of the page at me.

Phobos and Deimos.  Twins in Greek mythology, the gods of fear and terror.  Apt names for monster trucks and fit squarely in my swords-and-sorcery theme.  Phobos and Deimos are also the names of the moons of Mars, and while they aren't famed for having much in the way of colour, Mars is.  The Red Planet.  Well, technically it's more orange, hence the orange livery.  The white was really there to break it up a bit - an entirely orange truck wouldn't have looked right.

After that, I had to decide how to decorate the trucks.  The names didn't seem to want much in the way of graphics, just some name decals, so that made life easier.  Now, I was a big player of the original Doom back in the 90s (and I still regularly play modern ports of Doom even now - IMO it is still the original and best single player first-person shooter).  Doom Episode 1 was set on the moon of Phobos, and episode 2 was set on Deimos.  So it felt natural to borrow some Doom imagery for the truck names.

P4040045.jpg

P4040046.jpg

• Like 2

P4040048.jpg

P4040049.jpg

P4040050.jpg

P4040051.jpg

P4040053.jpg

P4040054.jpg

P4040055.jpg

• Like 3

Well - that's got to be about the quickest monster truck rebuild I've ever done.  It would have been a driveable chassis last week if I hadn't had to give up some time for DIY.  So basically 2 weeks to build from the pile of parts I had to start with.  Actually I'm kinda disappointed because I expected it to take so much longer.

What's next?  Not much, really.  If I feel like cash it a bit spare I might swap in some different servos - the Alturn 780s work well enough but the rear will get a bit of a shimmy on under full throttle.

I could consider hotter motors.  The ESC is a Traxxas EVX-2 so it can handle 4S and/or hotter motors.  I was running it on Titan 550s on 4S but the motors are a bit too big for the space, and they draw so much current the ESC constantly goes into cutoff mode.  I might look into what the Sport Mod trucks run in the states and go down that road.

The shocks are a bit too stiff.  They're using a medium spring.  I disassembled them and fitted the softer spring but even with 4-hole pistons and the lightest oil I could find (Losi 25) they were pretty slow to extend even in my hand.  I might go back and try them again with some Axial 30wt.  For now, when dropped, the truck just bounces off the tyres - the shocks don't seem to do much at all.

Beyond stuff like that, I think I'm done.  Now fingers crossed I can find some place to run it over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

I like the Doom reference. They are also very cool moons. Can the next cars be Titan and Enceladus? 

• Thanks 1

L-ove it!

Love orange -the first RC I painted was orange.

Love a bit of Greek myth (part of my uni course).

Love Doom (spent far too much of my time at uni designing levels for my housemates to duel on)!

Oh, I like Ford's too.

I think you made that truck for me :D

• Thanks 1

This was another truck that had a chance to run at the Tamiya Junkies meet.  I didn't put it on track much as it felt a bit lost out there, but it had plenty of racing around on the grass with @Ministrone's yellow Clod.  The big tyres are right at home on grass.

The last time this truck got run in anger was at the Junkies meet last Feb, when it was still wearing its Full Metal Jacket body.  Back then it still had the K2-3S chassis with its high centre and steeply-angled lower links, and it lasted about 3 minutes on the grass before it snapped a rod end.  This time (admittedly running silvercans instead of Titan 550s) it fared much better and came home in just the same state it went out in.

If there is a complaint, it's a bit, well, slow.  I might have to do some experimentation to find a better motor combo.  I'm using twin silvercans on 3S in Fifty-Fifty and that is fast enough, but I guess the Clod has lower gearing as standard (even with those big wheels) because it just doesn't have the same feeling of pace across open ground.  It's not exactly slow, it just doesn't feel that fast.  On the track it's hard to drive because it's hard to get enough speed to clear the jumps, and landing short means a hard impact.  I could try to find an adjustable motor mount to run taller gearing (it's probably got enough torque) or look for some lower turn options.  I have a few Etronix Sport Tuned motors which are quite cheap and have adjustable timing, so when I have a moment I'll see if they can be set to 0 degrees or even reverse timed so I can run them on the rear of the Clod.

Once I've got more speed I'll probably come up against all kinds of handling and reliability issues and maybe have to spend more on servos to keep it all in line, but that a problem for future ax.

• Like 1

Haven't been around much lately but just saw this thread and love what you did with this.  Definitely a much more race-oriented stance than you previously had it set up.  Lower links parallel with the ground is what you want for racing and it definitely has the "racing" stance as it sits.  Body looks great as well.

For power, Sport mod trucks run 17t brushed motors (Reedy Radon, JConcepts) and 2S power so with stock gearing it makes for a slow truck, but you are allowed to modify gearing in Sport Mod so that's where it gets fun.  I've never set up a Clod for that class, mostly use SMT-based trucks, but going with the largest pinions you can fit in there would really be all you can do.  Most guys in that class run the largest pinion they can fit because of the relatively short heats.  If you just want to have fun with the truck then why not throw dual brushless in it?  Twin 4000-4600kv setups would get that thing moving in a hurry.

• Like 1