burakol

Kit Box - do you keep it?

For the avid hobbyists out there, do you keep your boxes in pristine shape, or do you throw it after? When you order online and found out that the box was damaged (but contents are ok), do you contact the seller and complain? 

Just curious. 

I have always kept the boxes.  I leave all spare parts in it and sometimes store the built car in it if it fits.  Plus they look really cool and they stack nicely. 

• Like 2

I definitely keep them.  As a collector of multiple things, I like to display them at different times and boxes with good artwork/pics/colors make an excellent backdrop. 

If a box was a little bent up here and there no big deal, but if it was bad I would absolutely send it back.

If space is limited, you could always carefully break down the box to stack them flat and reassemble with tape inside at the corners if you ever wanted to re-use.

• Like 2

Always keep

for everything 

even if they all end up in the loft or in the bottom of cupboards

these aren’t just disposable toys, they are collectibles (in any state)

0JmTDL6.jpg

ive just sold many many Lego sets - in the box with instructions and the little plastic bags - £80...... without anything.....£40

same with RC Cars 

JJ

• Like 7

That's my initial thought... keep the boxes.. but the box on my Re-Re Manta Ray is not up to my standards... I contacted the seller and showed them pics of it... Problem is, stock is now limited of this kit... I mean, I am not an avid collector but it would have been nice to have the box in a better shape... or maybe im just nit picking?

20200420_183811.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, burakol said:

That's my initial thought... keep the boxes.. but the box on my Re-Re Manta Ray is not up to my standards... I contacted the seller and showed them pics of it... Problem is, stock is now limited of this kit... I mean, I am not an avid collector but it would have been nice to have the box in a better shape... or maybe im just nit picking?

20200420_183811.jpg

Get the iron out :)

tbh the box is there to protect the contents 

JJ

I don't think the iron would do the trick on this side... hehe... yeah, that's what i figured... as long as the contents are all good... 

20200420_183734.jpg

• Like 1

I always throw them away, I have no room for them, and they have no value to me to keep them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

I'm keeping this box!  (nah... but I might just cut out the box art and keep that) 

E3Z3kfv.jpg

The shell took some damage too.  But I took a gamble at a $80 kit.  

8VYMa51.jpg

• Haha 1

I only keep the boxes of the older models. (Lunchbox, frog, etc) Everything else gets recycled.

• Like 1

Nope. Right in the recycle bin they go. I don't save candy bar wrappers either. The good stuff is inside the packaging.

I have one kit box, for a Futaba FX10, that I can't bring myself to get rid of because it's "vintage," and it's like an albatross. Takes up a ton of space, and all that's in it is leftovers/spares for the FX10. I keep thinking I should disassemble the car and put the pieces back in the box, so I have a reason to keep the box.

I do have a bunch of NIB static kits, some quite old, and those boxes I'll keep. But most of those models won't be built for years and years anyway, and they're much smaller boxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

@Juggular Did the courier drop kick that over your fence?

id not accept that - or get a big discount 

JJ

I did a pillow fight (box fight) with the courier.  

It ended up being about $50 discount, so I'm not complaining!  

I have a few in the loft but I think the more I destroy the more the values for the box polishers goes up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

I'm keeping this box!  (nah... but I might just cut out the box art and keep that) 

E3Z3kfv.jpg

The shell took some damage too.  But I took a gamble at a $80 kit.  

8VYMa51.jpg

I have a minor damage on the shell but I figured that part will be cut off anyway... Don't get me wrong, I don't have the intention of returning or asking for a huge discount over this... I think it is quite insignificant, however, I think I needed to point out to the seller that they should be more prudent when packing their items... also, for an item that is listed as a bnew kit, I expect the box to be sealed in its original wrapping... 

I did keep the box for my other 3 RC kits, but over time, they will eventually wear down anyway... I like the idea of cutting the top/front of the box and displaying it as a wall art. 

20200420_185342.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

I've seen people selling just the boxes on ebay, asking $50!

Do the people that buy them keep the boxes they come in?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

56 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

I've seen people selling just the boxes on ebay, asking $50!

I’d pay £30 for an empty clod Buster box 

JJ

8 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Keep, just can’t bring myself to get rid of them

49767685253_2d1c7e7d91_k.jpg

That’s superb

and when we sell these on (as we keep telling ourselves) the buyers want to buy the whole experience. The box, instruction, the plastic spurs with no pieces on, a few left over decals.

i love all that 

JJ

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Do the people that buy them keep the boxes they come in?

Yep, got loads in my loft  . I keep every kit box that comes my way - love 'em

I keep the boxes but I keep them empty, chuck the finished sprues and compile all the spares. There’s a lot of spares with Tamiya kits, huh.

My problem is that our cat loves boxes so I have to hide them. Unfortunately she is ancient and demented, she got hold of the SW-01 box & it will never be the same again :( :angry: :lol:

I always recycle them or use them to send sold cars out if they still fit in when  partially dismantled.

I like box art but I just can’t be doing with storing anymore than is required and the boxes hold little or no value so off they go.

If it was a vintage box worth a few quid then it would get eBay’d as I’d rather have the cash.

• Thanks 1