burakol

Kit Box - do you keep it?

I only like the older style white box art.

I keep those for my spare parts. Newer boxes get binned.

50 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

If anyone has a clod Buster box I’ll buy it off them :)

JJ

Unfortunately my Original Clod Box is full of original parts (no bow tie though 😭)

I'm a box hoarder, unused parts, sprues, instructions etc.

Can't bring myself to throw them away. To me, it's part of the car.

There is even a pile of motor, ESC, RX, servo boxes too.

I have a plan to scan the front of the lids, print, laminate and pin on the wall at some point.

This is the oldest and rattiest box I have.

2IMG_20200422_212148.md.jpg

• Like 2

keep all I receive. in what ever condition they are in.  Would even be happy to receive boxes of cars I don't even have if it was saving them from being thrown out or recycled for other purposes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Keep, just can’t bring myself to get rid of them

49767685253_2d1c7e7d91_k.jpg

That's both ridiculous and excessive.  I want it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I keep most of my Tamiya boxes purely because they have awesome artwork and it's a perfect place to keep spares in and together organised by car. Boxes for old race tackle that's either been consigned to the loft or sold usually find themselves heading into the recycling. The same thing goes for boxes that are huge like the ones that Axial rigs come in. 

Must admit i keep every box from everything, wrapped in cling film and stored. Thats just me.

2 minutes ago, superted said:

Must admit i keep every box from everything, wrapped in cling film and stored. Thats just me.

It’s really useful if you want to sell too

adds value 

JJ

I agree with you there mate they dont weigh a lot so store them in the loft.
and like you say its nice if you want to sell something and you have the original box.

Throwing a Tamiya car box away?

It takes me back to the 80’s and can’t even describe the joy at seeing the box art on them in model shops as a lad.  Should be a law against the thought of one being buried in landfill or shredded.

I keep the box for pretty much anything of value.  As mentioned, the difference in value alone is enough to warrant putting a box in a cupboard or the loft just for the time you sell it.  For example I wouldn’t even bid on a re release Tamiya on eBay if it didn’t have a box.

But you’re either that type of person or you’re not.  My best mate is pure minimalist and wouldn’t keep any type of package.  Even when he had an RC car (when we both got back in to them about 15 years ago) he’d run the car and take it home and put it up in his loft!  Mine would be on a shelf to look at.  Mind you, he’s got a cleaner in an already immaculate 1 bedroom house!  Must be the easiest money she ever makes haha.

4 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

I don’t know how people live in minimalist houses 

mine is full of junk 

JJ

Mine too, well not junk it’s all gonna come in handy you know!  I’m not exactly one of these hoarders, I’ve still got floors but I’ve certainly got cupboards full of stuff and loft full of stuff.  But we’re all different I guess.

I go in my mate’s house and it’s like sitting in a new house showroom and feels so un-homely to me.  But he comes to mine and I can see his eyes looking round thinking how can he live in a place that isn’t like a sterile empty box.  

• Like 1

I guess I'm keeping the box then... I still do have my GF01, Tt01 and Tt02 boxes anyway... what's another box to keep right? 

I might have to sell my train stuff to make more room then... I told my wife I will start unloading my trains in favor of starting an RC collection. Hehe

• Like 1

Yes, I keep every one. They are nearly as important as the kit is to me. Its all part of the Tamiya experience in my case. My parents forced me to throw out my old kit boxes from back in the day. They never really understood me. Of course, I just secretly cut them up and stashed them flat, underneath my bed. It was better than trashing them. I keep about 7 of the boxes on the top shelves above my collection. The rest go in a closet. Every couple of months, I rotate them so I have different boxart to look at. I recently bought a Grasshopper. I always liked the look of the buggy and needed one for the collection. Honestly, about half the reason was also to have the leaping boxart as a "companion" to my leaping Frog boxart. I'm strange. 

• Like 4

I keep them all, but very carefully fold them flat along the lines to make sure they can be un-flattened when required.

I do the same with Lego boxes.

I agree with @jameswrx and @problemchild - minimalist living is definitely not for me! I like to enjoy my toys and collections, and as long as they don't limit my ability to use my house (I make sure floors/desks/flat surfaces are all clear) then I don't see it as "clutter."

• Like 1

I try to get a box for every kit I own and have purchased kits recently just for the box. in this thread I restored a Tamiya TGS nitro that was rare and had little information:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88272-tamiya-tgs-xbg-nitro-restoration/&tab=comments#comment-732040

Later down the line I came across a kit being sold, the first I had ever seen and purchased it purely for the box.

i-img600x451-1577250660gjkcht347094.jpg

My problem now is that I have a fairly large collection at around 250 RC and that means you need a lot of box storage space!

I’ve kept all my boxes so far, fortunately none of the Tamiya ones have been damaged. My Kyosho Javalin came with a small hole in but nothing inside was harmed. Although it’s nice to see the true representation of the contents on a Kyosho box as a buyer so you know exactly what you are getting, they just don’t have the same magic as the Tamiya box art ones.  I find the sectional diagram/illustrations on the side of the Tamiya just as fascinating as the hypnotising as the main face of the box, to the extent that I intend to frame a couple of them. I was hoping to have had a Sand Scorcher box to frame by now, but any reasonably priced kits would seem to have all gone.

I always kept the boxes for Matchbox cars as a kid but mum threw those all out as I had a few. She does regret that now, and a shame because I liked to keep my favorite cars in pristine condition, and they would never get played with outside so the wheels didn’t get scratched. 

• Like 1

The white boxes are a must to keep! It's all part of the model? The boxes with the actual photos are still very good but just not as appealingly and tend not to have the thickness of cardboard and inserts (more just there to do a job) my avante box got destroyed by a iron:angry: I put it on the shelf (while I was building it) with the iron the iron fell against the box slowly emptying its contents of scented distilled water while I was away on holiday! the cardboard willingly excepted all that water and completely did the cycle of soaking it up then drying!........to say I was gutted was the understatement of that particular year!!! 

• Sad 1

Bin them or sometimes sell the odd one (postage is a bit of an issue though). If there nice, I can see why people might want to collect not just the car/ buggy etc but also the box, instructions, period radio gear and so on. There just not for me. 

I have a few boxes but no where to display them. I was thinking of a way to hang them from the ceiling though. While eating at Red Robin, I noticed they hang pictures from the ceiling and I thought that would be a cool way for boxes. 

9FDFCD0B-B515-4609-8334-7234F2C9E63A.jpeg

• Like 2

i keep the box for storage of the RC car itself, or for spareparts. i have also used it for transport if taking the RC places.

Before anyone discards a box maybe search ‘box art’ in here ?

No point repeating points already made but I’ve kept all my vintage 

And some newer 😇