Sign in to follow this  
A-Baum

Tamiya Japan closing up

Just talked to a guy at a hobby shop as I inquired about Terra Scorcher deliveries, he said he should have some coming in next week but may be delayed due to Tamiya Japan closing its doors due to increase in Covid cases there.  This doesn't sound great for acquiring kits, especially in the states where we have limited options.  I had a kit back ordered on Tower that said mid April until last night it changed to mid June.  I think it's safe to say that if you find a kit you want and it's in stock, pull the trigger.  Could be a while before anywhere gets new kits.  There's already a stock problem and it's just going to get worse. 

I think to add to it, their plastic factory is actually based in the Philippines... which is also having an uptick with Covid cases... 

5 minutes ago, dannymulder said:

OH no now I have to spent 100.000 euro on kits fast before they are al gone:P

I have an Egress 2013 for sale only 99.998€ inkl. Shipment leaves 2 for an ice-cream 😂😂

2 minutes ago, waterbok said:

I have an Egress 2013 for sale only 99.998€ inkl. Shipment leaves 2 for an ice-cream 😂😂

sounds like a good deal :D:D

Sooooo glad that I decided to pick up a TT-02 yesterday even though it wasn't the body I wanted since I was on the fence about waiting. (Wanted the Mk. V Supra, got the Mazda 3) Guess my Hop-ups may have to wait though.

16 minutes ago, dannymulder said:

sounds like a good deal :D:D

You think PayPal friends may work.

1 minute ago, waterbok said:

You think PayPal friends may work.

I prefer cash in a nice suitcase, so I can launder some of my drug money:ph34r:

44 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

An egress for €100 - it’s just the box yeah?

JJ

For you only 99,997.99€

1 hour ago, No Slack said:

A Dutch deal?

Looks like it, as we are both Dutch. 🌷🧀

3 hours ago, A-Baum said:

Just talked to a guy at a hobby shop as I inquired about Terra Scorcher deliveries, he said he should have some coming in next week but may be delayed due to Tamiya Japan closing its doors due to increase in Covid cases there.  This doesn't sound great for acquiring kits, especially in the states where we have limited options.  I had a kit back ordered on Tower that said mid April until last night it changed to mid June.  I think it's safe to say that if you find a kit you want and it's in stock, pull the trigger.  Could be a while before anywhere gets new kits.  There's already a stock problem and it's just going to get worse. 

In the UK (at the moment) the terra scorcher is plentiful I got mine from modelsport and it's still showing "good stock" however a lot of the other tamiya kits are out of stock but I'm thinking the importers (the hobby company) must have stocks in the distribution centre? And hopefully by time they get short supplies this rubbish will be over.......glass always half full?

23 minutes ago, moffman said:

In the UK (at the moment) the terra scorcher is plentiful I got mine from modelsport and it's still showing "good stock" however a lot of the other tamiya kits are out of stock but I'm thinking the importers (the hobby company) must have stocks in the distribution centre? And hopefully by time they get short supplies this rubbish will be over.......glass always half full?

I heard that The Hobby Co ordered very low volume earlier in the year due to Brexit spending fears, that people wouldn't be spending on frivolous rc cars! The distribution centre is spent, waiting on containers due in May.

Hence why spare parts are on such a long lead time too. 

More importantly, lots of shops are out of polycarb paints, probably due to a run on lockdown builds!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ChrisRx718 said:

More importantly, lots of shops are out of polycarb paints, probably due to a run on lockdown builds!

As soon as I saw this topic in the forum I jumped over to Tower and ordered more paint.  I can live without new kits, but everything comes to a stop without paint...

10 hours ago, ChrisRx718 said:

I heard that The Hobby Co ordered very low volume earlier in the year due to Brexit spending fears, that people wouldn't be spending on frivolous rc cars! The distribution centre is spent, waiting on containers due in May.

Hence why spare parts are on such a long lead time too. 

Oh well if that's the case best make the projects I've got last!:unsure: what I've noticed (mentioning no actual retailer) that now much prices of the available rc cars have gone up in the last few weeks and the price cap on free p&p I ordered a super astute few weeks ago £219 free p&p then just over a week later £249 then this morning I've looked £279 and the free p&p amount has doubled?? I really don't like to criticise any retailer especially at the moment but why make the goalposts more expensive in times like these? The public do have memories and do remember and it will always come back to bite them! I don't think its tamiya dictating or the hobby company or whatever courier company they use because in the case of the super astute its always been in stock so it's the same batch?.........its just something I've noticed!

I've noticed prices have been steadily rising and stock selling out across the board.  A stock shortage due to Brexit fears makes sense, now compounded by high order volumes during lockdown.  I also noticed a lack of Tamiya PS paint UK-wide but managed to get everything I need from my LHS (local personal delivery by the shop owner) and from another UK stockist who quoted 30 day delivery times but delivered in around 5 days.  I have wondered for a while if Japan has been on lockdown or the factories running on reduced staff.

We may well have a big shortage of Tamiya kits and parts worldwide as things get back to normal.  On the plus side we probably won't be breaking many parts as many of us can't run anything.  I have considered some new kits but seriously I have enough stuff to be working on for the next few years.  Getting a new kit is really just scratching the itch of wanting a big new box to land on the doorstep and a little bit of excitement for a couple of days.

Let's also remember - Tamiya are not the only RC car company.  Schumacher are UK-based and are still taking orders, and AFAIK their cars have not gone up in price since the start of the pandemic.

Now please all don't rush off to modelsport to buy a Top Cat Classic because after Tamiya shortages and price hikes it as moved to the top of my wishlist.

I just said in another thread, put a Schumacher cat xls in basket on modelsport last night and it said there was a 7 day delay due to demand!

I’m a ‘need it yesterday’ kind of person with my toys so didn’t go through with the order.  I’ll be back at work soon so 7 working day delay has saved me money I didn’t have to spend anyway.

Went on another site and it said something about huge demand for Tamiya kits.

Must be ‘worse’ than Xmas for them.

I've gather your best bet is finding little mom and pop shops that might have some inventory. You never know what pricing will be, but at least you can find some kits where as Tower is I think out of everything except the super clod and international shipping is dicey at best these days, especially to North America.