toyolien

Monster Beetle Questions / Help please.

One of the kits i always wanted as a kid was the Monster Beetle. Since the re-release I've been considering getting one, but after doing a little reading the issue of the diff and shafts popping out keeps coming up. Now, I have a couple of MIP diffs, one of which is going in a Brat build I'm doing, so the other one could sort out the Monster Beetle diff quite nicely. 

That just leaves the shaft issues. My question is: How much does this issue effect the actual use/driving? I am going to limit the travel of the rear shocks a little to help. But i don't want to start having to cable tie the rear arms up etc...

Anyone have one that they are completely happy with, or am i better off avoiding it and getting something else from my 'wish list'. Thanks

I just built a re-re blackfoot with a MIP ball diff.  I've run it 3-4 times now and I'm super happy with it.  If I pull back the rubber tubing, the dogbone into the MIP c-cup is a little on the shallow side when the wheels are hanging at their lowest but I haven't had it pop out yet when driving.  I did some hard driving with it too, some jumps and rumbling over piles of sticks and hard turns and skidding out.  No issues so far.  The dogbone that Tamiya provided *could* be a bit longer but for me it's not yet been an issue.

• Like 1

Thank you. That's good info. I'm currently deciding between a Monster Beetle and a Super Hotshot.... Can't have both apparently...

• Like 1

I've been wanting a Monster Beetle lately too.  Getting real hard not to pull the trigger on one!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 78Triumph said:

I've been wanting a Monster Beetle lately too.  Getting real hard not to pull the trigger on one!

The kid down the road from my grandparents had one in 1987. I had a boomerang at the time, and the red Beetle was just ACE! I seem to get more and more nostalgic as i get older....

• Like 3

I was a bit concerned about the Diff & Drive shaft issues before buying a BF, I just put 2 shims 0.5 shims either side of the Diff when I built it and hasn’t given any trouble at all with a 17.5 brushless in it. I think it’s when people overpower them the trouble starts. I intended to get a MIP Diff but haven’t needed to yet. The universal drive shafts have been fine too. I have the suspension on the softest setting (no spacers) which might help.

F9AC05E9-DE6B-499E-B2F1-2F309D152C58.jpg

ECE6E14F-6B41-48A4-AED4-2B861FFF3066.gif

10 hours ago, 78Triumph said:

They are great and I can recommend the Black Edition as you can see here the dark chassis is very nice 👍🏻

http://E66A2928-727B-48AE-BC15-27E756E644C5.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, toyolien said:

Thank you. That's good info. I'm currently deciding between a Monster Beetle and a Super Hotshot.... Can't have both apparently...

You can. I have both. It’s good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had the original when I was younger back in 1980-something, (Goldberg’s joke), I don’t remember any particular issue. I suspect it’s over written about and not really a big problem.

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

I was a bit concerned about the Diff & Drive shaft issues before buying a BF, I just put 2 shims 0.5 shims either side of the Diff when I built it and hasn’t given any trouble at all with a 17.5 brushless in it. I think it’s when people overpower them the trouble starts. I intended to get a MIP Diff but haven’t needed to yet. The universal drive shafts have been fine too. I have the suspension on the softest setting (no spacers) which might help.

F9AC05E9-DE6B-499E-B2F1-2F309D152C58.jpg

ECE6E14F-6B41-48A4-AED4-2B861FFF3066.gif

They are great and I can recommend the Black Edition as you can see here the dark chassis is very nice 👍🏻

http://E66A2928-727B-48AE-BC15-27E756E644C5.jpg

Yes the black chassis is quite nice looking!

• Like 1

Go for the MB! I still have my original from 85 and I drive the heck out of it with all stock parts, no issues. 

I think chances are you'll enjoy it and with normal driving you should be fine. If a problem arises you can always deal with it with some easy replacement parts. 

On 4/21/2020 at 9:19 PM, toyolien said:

One of the kits i always wanted as a kid was the Monster Beetle. Since the re-release I've been considering getting one, but after doing a little reading the issue of the diff and shafts popping out keeps coming up. Now, I have a couple of MIP diffs, one of which is going in a Brat build I'm doing, so the other one could sort out the Monster Beetle diff quite nicely. 

That just leaves the shaft issues. My question is: How much does this issue effect the actual use/driving? I am going to limit the travel of the rear shocks a little to help. But i don't want to start having to cable tie the rear arms up etc...

Anyone have one that they are completely happy with, or am i better off avoiding it and getting something else from my 'wish list'. Thanks

Not bad many issues with drive shafts and I’m running a brushless set up 

JJ

4 hours ago, Problemchild said:

Not bad many issues with drive shafts and I’m running a brushless set up 

JJ

Thanks that's good to know. My Monster Beetle kit has just been delivered 😁

• Like 3

Matteo did a video on his MIP diff in MB if you haven't seen it...

On 4/21/2020 at 9:19 PM, toyolien said:

My monster beetle has been great.  I have a much cheaper alternative to the mip diff.  A tamiya club member called mheald used to sell 3d printed gearbox braces which bolted round the diff on the outside of the chassis plates.  Only cost me around £12. Got 2, one on my backdoor and one on the beetle.  This fixes the diff problem and is very simple. I am sure one could be easily of fabricated out of metal

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Matteo did a video on his MIP diff in MB if you haven't seen it...

I love all of Matteo's videos but the test drive here is one of my favorites.  When he pulls the trigger and that puppy shoots off, tearing off some of the body.  An awesome scene!

Yep, I've watched that a few times. Love the MIP diff, but I don't think the car is happy with that power. Good to know the diff will take it though.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 4:58 PM, slimleeroy said:

My monster beetle has been great.  I have a much cheaper alternative to the mip diff.  A tamiya club member called mheald used to sell 3d printed gearbox braces which bolted round the diff on the outside of the chassis plates.  Only cost me around £12. Got 2, one on my backdoor and one on the beetle.  This fixes the diff problem and is very simple. I am sure one could be easily of fabricated out of metal

Hello

Would it be possible to have a link to those braces?

Cheers

Jack

Slightly different question, my MB needs a need servo saver, the C clip on mine is weak and opens up when the serbo turns, which means loads of play in the steering. Was going to get a kimbrough, but don't know what size - medium? large ? heavy duty ? not sure which one would fit.

The chassis on mine is an original and thus far I haven't had any drivetrain sisues, but the braces could be a good idea so would appreciate a link too please.

• Like 1

I use a med sized Kim in my Frog and a HD large Kim in my Bush Devil. 

Terry

1 hour ago, Mark_C said:

The chassis on mine is an original and thus far I haven't had any drivetrain sisues

All of my cars with this type of drive have the old Hex drives in the rear and I've never had an issue with any of them dropping out or otherwise being a problem as they are set up right to start with and maintained regularly .

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 4:58 PM, slimleeroy said:

Got 2, one on my backdoor and one on the beetle

Backdoor ?  well that's different - typo surely - ;) I had a chuckle

• Like 1

On 5/13/2020 at 8:55 PM, Monster_Beetle_Jack said:

Hello

Would it be possible to have a link to those braces?

Cheers

Jack

Jack - you can’t get them any more BUT there are the plans for them on his garage I think 

have a read through this...

Last page there is a link to the design

I don’t think they are printed but cut out of FRP

JJ

On 5/17/2020 at 9:56 AM, Problemchild said:

Jack - you can’t get them any more BUT there are the plans for them on his garage I think 

have a read through this...

Last page there is a link to the design

I don’t think they are printed but cut out of FRP

JJ

👍👍