rwordenjr

What is a “Runner” to YOU ?

Everyone probably has a different idea on what a “runner” is. I have a few cars that I’m afraid to run at all out of fear of breaking them (parts aren’t the easiest to get in the USA). For me, a runner is a vehicle I use frequently. What is it for you?

The ones I look at each month thinking "I could drive that right now" but don't.  I'm in shelfer denial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Blista said:

The ones I look at each month thinking "I could drive that right now" but don't.  I'm in shelfer denial.

Which ones are those ? For me, it’s the nova fox and super levant 

The XV01 rally car and CR01 crawler.  All they need is a charged battery and they're good to go, but then I start thinking about having to drive around to find somewhere to use them and I put it off for another day.

I've put off getting a buggy for a long time, even though I'd like one, just because I know it'll see even less driving time without somewhere nearby to use it.

• Like 2

I like to think all my cars are potential runners, its just some would be run more aggressively than others!

• Like 5

All mine are runners and used bar my Avante which will be forever a shelf queen! It's good to go but I just can't bring myself to trash it in any way what so ever... I really should pull all the electrics out of it 🙄.... 

• Like 1

A , Runner , to me is a car that gets to run.

To say its a runner as it has all the elecs etc, is like me saying ,as I've got legs and could go running, so therefore, I'm a runner.

The cars I didn't run that often I sold, (Marui Ninja's , Kyosho Maxxum etc) and bought new race cars, to run, race, enjoy and make memories.

• Like 1

The ones I can get parts for easily and cheaply...these are my real runners...

Lunchbox, Hornet, Blitzer Beetle No2, CC01, DT03 and my FTX Outlaw. 

Nice to have and run in moderation...

TXT-2, Clod, CC02, Monster Beetle. 

Sits on the shelf...

My Blitzer Beetle No1. Took a long time to paint and looks lovely.

• Like 2

I have each car in a category -

Runner, To fix, To finish, To build, To restore,  Box,  Shelfer

A runner is a car ready to go as soon as I can put in an Rx and battery. Runners currently stand at 2 with 4 to fix.

I only have one shelfer!

• Like 1

My runners are TT02 Drift, DT03, Lunchbox, Konghead and Comical Grasshopper at the moment. They also become my shelters when they're not being run. I'm not really one to have unused vehicles on the shelf.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rwordenjr said:

Everyone probably has a different idea on what a “runner” is.   What is it for you?

Hi to the OP @rwordenjr and I think you got that first part spot on !

I have vintage runners.  I also have vintage runners that became retired and went "straight to the pool room", (Darryl Kerrigan style) ....... they are still runners.  I have Tamiya re-release runners that allowed for some of the vintage runners to be retired.  Then I have casual runners, (DB01, CC01, TA02T, DT02's) that see all the action and can be tidied up, modded, fixed and generally played with  etc.

• Like 2

My aim was for 3 runners, 4wd buggy, 2wd buggy & a 4wd touring car.

I ended up with a TT02B, DN01 & TA03f.

They buggies are cars I can run (crash) & not be to bothered about, the TA03 I'm not so sure about abusing it now so will probably look for something else.:D

There are a couple of shelfers which I just like looking at but they have all run at some point.

• Like 1

My fleet consists of three categories: Runner, Potential Runner and Shelfer

In my mind, a Runner is a car that has turned a wheel in anger. How regularly it does so is irrelevant to me - once it has done so, it is no longer a shelfer. Most of my fleet fall into this category.

A Potential Runner is one that has yet to turn a wheel in anger, but I firmly intend to let it do so when circumstances allow. With lockdown in place, this category currently has more members than usual - there is a Grasshopper, TA-02, FF-02, FF-03 andTT-02 Type S - but usually there is only one car in this category at a time. I don't really consider a project fully complete until I have found a setup I am happy with, and this invariably involves running and testing the car. I also prefer not to start a fresh project until the previous one is complete.

The Shelfer category in my head is reserved for cars that have never turned a wheel in anger and probably never will. As I build all my cars with the intention of running them, either regularly and vigorously or seldom and gently depending on their rarity, this is a very small category indeed, with only one member in the form of my F103 15th Anniversary Edition. WIth its very rare status and the unique "15th Anniversary Edition" script on the underside of the chassis, I just can't bring myself to risk running it even under theoretically ideal conditions.

I do have a fair number of pristine shelf shells and wheelsets though, which chassis wear when on display. They don a different, typically cheaper and more common body and wheelset when in use.

• Like 1

I run all the cars I have at the moment.

For me a runner is a car I can use without worrying about spares when I crash it or something has worn out.

• Like 1

A runner to me is the car in my collection I “don’t mind” if it hits the curb at full speed or flips and slide down the road on its roof.

all of my cars are able to be run BUT I don’t run them.

eg - mint 80s bow tie clod, mint as new 80s falcon, mint as new 80s terrascorcher, completely modified rere wild one, mint modified bear hawk etc etc ha

(see my project thread)

JJ

• Like 1

If I can stick a battery in it and go, it's a runner. 

My boys and I were wondering - all you lucky chaps with shelves full of cars, are they all complete with full electrics or are they basically just models on a shelf? 

• Like 2

Yeah I always put an servo, receiver, ESC and motor and pair it to a transmitter 

Things like this are too nice to drive 

bf3LjH4.jpg

GVdrYj4.jpg

pB91hCD.jpg

JJ

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

Yeah I always put an servo, receiver, ESC and motor and pair it to a transmitter 

Things like this are too nice to drive 

bf3LjH4.jpg

GVdrYj4.jpg

pB91hCD.jpg

JJ

I followed your build thread. This one is a very nice build.

I'd still want to own two of these. Build one as box stock looking but upgrade to bearings, a nice servo, 27t brushed motor while I'll custom build the other one and change a lot of parts to modern hop ups like TRF shocks, blue turnbuckles, 21t brushed motor, waterproof ESC, waterproof digital servo and probably customize a few carbon fiber parts. Put wider wheels in front to distribute more weight up front.

Anyway, a runner to me is a build that is ready to be driven. Not necessarily to be used on a regular basis but at least can run anytime it needs to be.

• Like 1

Runners are the broken ones waiting to be fixed 

• Like 2

I've given up trying to classify them. A runner is a car that is currently moving under its own power and accepting commands from a transmitter in my hands.

Everything else is just part of the collection. I might run them, I might not, they might be ready to run at a moment's notice, they might not, they might be covered in dirt from the last time they were run, or they might be covered in dust because they've been on the same shelf for ages. I might, on any given day, decide to pull a "nice shelfer" down and go run it through a mud puddle, or take a "basher" and disassemble it completely and put it into a storage bin, or rebuild it as something completely different. I usually don't do those things, but I have given myself permission to do so if I choose.

I've decided to do it this way because nothing in my collection is particualrly rare or especially valuable, and I never want to feel like something is too "precious" to enjoy. I can run a car, or sit back and admire it, or just walk by and squish the suspension up and down, or take it apart and repaint it, or whatever. It's very freeing, and it keeps me from buying too many new kits. Nothing is "finished," so I'm not looking for that next project. If I want a new project, I take a old car and do something new with it. And that may or may not involve it moving under its own power.

• Like 2

A runner to me is a car that I can either just drop a battery into or a battery and receiver into and it'll go. Everything else is either waiting to be fixed or needs a bit of forward planning to get ready to run. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Problemchild said:

A runner to me is the car in my collection I “don’t mind” if it hits the curb at full speed or flips and slide down the road on its roof.

all of my cars are able to be run BUT I don’t run them.

eg - mint 80s bow tie clod, mint as new 80s falcon, mint as new 80s terrascorcher, completely modified rere wild one, mint modified bear hawk etc etc ha

(see my project thread)

JJ

Hee hee - I'd say that's more of a 'basher', but I know what you mean...

I'm the same, all my models are technically runners - in that they have electronics installed and can take a battery (they are RC cars after all!) - but in my collection there are some which just sit on the shelf 99% of the time, and those which I do end up driving more often.

Currently I'd say my runners (ie. those I tend to choose to drive most regularly) are the Defender 90 and the Jeep YJ - they are the ones I get most pleasure from actually driving, typically on trail and rock-crawling type terrain.

Conversely, from a personal point of view, I don't think I'd ever want to own an RC car that was simply a 'shelfer' - ie. a non-runner, or one I was afraid to run for fear of damaging it... these things are made to move!

Jenny x

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

Hee hee - I'd say that's more of a 'basher', but I know what you mean...

I'm the same, all my models are technically runners - in that they have electronics installed and can take a battery (they are RC cars after all!) - but in my collection there are some which just sit on the shelf 99% of the time, and those which I do end up driving more often.

Currently I'd say my runners (ie. those I tend to choose to drive most regularly) are the Defender 90 and the Jeep YJ - they are the ones I get most pleasure from actually driving, typically on trail and rock-crawling type terrain.

Conversely, from a personal point of view, I don't think I'd ever want to own an RC car that was simply a 'shelfer' - ie. a non-runner, or one I was afraid to run for fear of damaging it... these things are made to move!

Jenny x

8 minutes ago, JennyMo said:

I don't think I'd ever want to own an RC car that was simply a 'shelfer' - ie. a non-runner, or one I was afraid to run for fear of damaging it... these things are made to move!

I agree but when you move it right into a curb on accident and the bumper cracks, it's the worst ! :wacko:

Any rere for me i run

or something i have loads of spares for.

with the exception of my nissan king cabs and my Porsche 959 or any new unused new built vintage kits.