Sign in to follow this  
Hl0107

Blackfoot Servo recommendation

Hello guys,

I recently got a ReRe Blackfoot and want to know what servo would be good for it.
And any other recommendation for upgrades before I assemble it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Hector

Mny servo choices around, but nowadays I would not save too much money on the servo. For a Blackfoot, I´d recommend at least 9kg steering force and a Speed below 0,12sec for 60°. Nobody wants a slow servo nowadays. I have Savöx 1251MG from a previous car in my Monster Beetle, and it´s even perfect in the Monster truck. Power enough, and not "self locking" gear. You can easily push the saver when current is off. So during hard hits off the wheels, the Servo saver and the not locking gears can give in. So I haven´t destroyed a knuckle since 2012. (And these are from 1986 and probably quite brittle  now.)

But Prices for them are still high (ca. 50-60€). For sure there are maybe some cheaper variants of other brands, that are on the same level from performance.

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 1

My Monster Beetle started out with a Futaba s3003 and that was fine despite the low torque. It now has s cheap metal gear servo, MG995 with about 12kg and .14sec and that works well. I only swapped as I wanted tue Futaba for something else.

As for upgrades, bearings and the MIP ball diff. With very light use (silvercan, NiMH, often EPA turned down) the stock diff started clicking after about 10 packs. I tried shimming it and it was a short term fix

• Like 2