gregdogghurst

Should I buy? DN 01 Zahhak

Literally stumbled across this in a shop window todayC4848AB5-9420-4070-9D38-EB43DB762AB1.thumb.jpeg.c09dddd8cf9fa7feabe7b92f0e3175aa.jpeg

I did some research and read through a couple of build/mod threads when I got in and seems to be a well regarded chassis. 

My concern is how available are hop ups and spares these days? Am I right in saying TRF stuff is no longer produced?

I’m also nearly finishing my modded Super Astute so how would they compare?

Im assuming the DN 01 is a much more race orientated and tougher buggy...

Any opinions are welcome! 

Greg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gregdogghurst said:

Literally stumbled across this in a shop window todayC4848AB5-9420-4070-9D38-EB43DB762AB1.thumb.jpeg.c09dddd8cf9fa7feabe7b92f0e3175aa.jpeg

I did some research and read through a couple of build/mod threads when I got in and seems to be a well regarded chassis. 

My concern is how available are hop ups and spares these days? Am I right in saying TRF stuff is no longer produced?

I’m also nearly finishing my modded Super Astute so how would they compare?

Im assuming the DN 01 is a much more race orientated and tougher buggy...

Any opinions are welcome! 

Greg

How much is it ? That's the determining and most important factor. 

7 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

How much is it ? That's the determining and most important factor. 

I had a quick chat with the guy and he told me it’s a customer return so opened box and price is approximately £208 (I don’t live in uk). I feel like he might be open to an offer though so I was thinking around 160 mark possibly

15 minutes ago, Problemchild said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264646137004

but you’d have to pay tax/duty

JJ

I’ve had a look around and seems a good price especially if I could get a deal...

theres a TRF201 around for 350 also.

im kicking myself for buying the SA in spur of the moment lockdown madness now... then spending another 200+ on modifications 🤣🤣

I had a zahhak i did some hop ups to, because hop ups, but really it's a lovely thing out of the box. Put nice sensored brushless motor in it and gear appropriately (i was running 13.5 with a 72t associated b4 spur which is a direct fit and 27t pinion) and its great. Ball diff needs careful building with proper greases, but shoulfd be good. Kit tyres are good for hard dirt/clay but are proper 2.2" so again spec appropriately. I ran schumacher wide 4wd cut stagger on the front and mini spikes on the rear for grass and astro. I put some stick on weight on top of the servo to weight the front a bit and it was great. Super fun to drive. 

• Like 3

It's the most advanced buggy in my fleet.  M07 might be similar in terms of engineering that went in, but that's an on-road car.  

You might end up losing taste for vast majority of Tamiya buggies (like Hornet) after Zahhak.  I always say leave the most delicious stuff till last. (My neighbor Maria is a great cook. But her husband is skinny. His food intake is limited by what one person could cook. He can't eat anything else, because everything else is terrible in comparison)  Also, first or second buggies pay the bill for learning.  It's more likely that they get destroyed than 3rd, 4th or 9th one.  If I were not used to 2WD buggues, I would get a carefree DT02 or DT03 first. Run that to the ground.  If you still like 2WD buggy, then get DN01. 

Having said all that, though, Zahhak is a good buggy. TRF parts are not as abundant as DT02 or DT03. But they are still available.  So I would keep it in my radar, if there is a good deal, I'd snatch it up. If only to build later.  I didn't upgrade much because it's a backyard basher (which is a waste).  If you want to upgrade, getting a good deal on a TRF201 would end up being cheaper.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gregdogghurst said:

I had a quick chat with the guy and he told me it’s a customer return so opened box and price is approximately £208 (I don’t live in uk). I feel like he might be open to an offer though so I was thinking around 160 mark possibly

That’s a good car but I would stay away from customer returned unless you’re okay with some missing items possibly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gregdogghurst said:

LiteraC4848AB5-9420-4070-9D38-EB43DB762AB1.thumb.jpeg.c09dddd8cf9fa7feabe7b92f0e3175aa.jpeg

Am I tripping balls or is that a 4WD (DB01) - FRONT wheel and tyre fitted to the left hand REAR of the box art model......  :blink:

4 hours ago, Thommo said:

Am I tripping balls or is that a 4WD (DB01) - FRONT wheel and tyre fitted to the left hand REAR of the box art model......  :blink:

It does look narrower than the other side?!

On 4/23/2020 at 7:51 AM, Thommo said:

I dunno what is going on here?! :huh:

Picked up the kit this morning got home had a look through the box/manual etc. all good...

Took out the wheels and tyres and started to put them together (I always do this first with new kits for some reason)

AND IT HAS GOT DB01 FRONT TYRES FOR THE REAR!!!! :o

image.thumb.jpg.c2c3acb2c5c61f49ff40e4a3375172b0.jpg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, gregdogghurst said:

I dunno what is going on here?! :huh:

Picked up the kit this morning got home had a look through the box/manual etc. all good...

Took out the wheels and tyres and started to put them together (I always do this first with new kits for some reason)

AND IT HAS GOT DB01 FRONT TYRES FOR THE REAR!!!! :o

image.thumb.jpg.c2c3acb2c5c61f49ff40e4a3375172b0.jpg

Uncertain if your just playing funny ******s, mine came with proper rear tyres. It’s a fantastic handling buggy, makes DT02/3 seem like a joke. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gregdogghurst said:

100% swear on my dogs life!

i’ve ordered some  rears 54186 and these ones are going up front

Remember ? 

“That’s a good car but I would stay away from customer returned unless you’re okay with some missing items possibly”.

2 minutes ago, rwordenjr said:

Remember ? 

“That’s a good car but I would stay away from customer returned unless you’re okay with some missing items possibly”.

😂😂😂 certainly do!!