Sign in to follow this  
Mrowka

Converting a Javelin to ball diffs

I have an OG Javelin on the way, what parts will I need to convert to OTW101 factory upgrade ball diffs?

I understand that, as part of the process, I will have to convert to belt drive, which will require the diffs themselves, the belt and the belt tensioner gear. 

What else will I need? FWIW, I am pretty new to r/c cars, but not r/c.

I think what you mentioned are all that you need in order to use OTW101 ball diffs.   I can't say for sure since I haven't built mine yet, but I think they are a drop-in replacement for the belt drive gear diffs supplied in the kit.

Here is part of a page from the optional parts PDF:

image.thumb.png.88f3650a38c944fb72cb8d225af67a9d.png

• Like 1

Saw that, thanks. I would ask whether the OTW101 and a belt drive would be everything, but when my Javelin showed up, it already had the belt drive and ball diffs installed.

Thanks once more.

• Like 1

I just realized you said "OG Javelin", not re-re Javelin.  Whoops, sorry about that.  Glad it came already configured with them.

Post pics!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Champ85 said:

I just realized you said "OG Javelin", not re-re Javelin.  Whoops, sorry about that.  Glad it came already configured with them.

Post pics!

Yeah,  I'm a bit reluctant to bash this car much, because the rere parts don't necessarily always fit the original Javelin, and I don't want to spend $TEXAS on parts when I break.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrowka said:

Yeah,  I'm a bit reluctant to bash this car much, because the rere parts don't necessarily always fit the original Javelin, and I don't want to spend $TEXAS on parts when I break.

That looks to be in great condition!  I like the Pargu wing.  Definitely don't bash that too hard.   Get a re-re to do that!! ;)

The original tires are so much more aggressive looking than the re-re tires.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, it's pretty minty, if I may brag a little. So I don't want to drive the snot out of it.

It also has what look like Kyosho Gold shocks,  belt drive conversion, and appears to have ball diffs fore and aft.

So it is hard not to drive the snot out of it.

I have a re-re Javelin but haven’t had a vintage Javelin taken apart in order to compare mounting points for the drivetrain conversion.  If your familiar with the internals of yours, compare it to the manual for the re-re:

http://www.kyosho.com/jpn/support/instructionmanual/buggy/pdf/30618-T01_JAVELIN_IM.pdf

The ball diffs for the re-re are the same front and rear, and there is a belt tensioner involved that mounts inside the tranny.

• Thanks 1