Crossboyz

Lunchbox - advice

Hi. Just nearly finished building my first RC kit - The Lunchbox. I’ll be completely honest, I am not very technically minded but bought it as something to focus on during the lockdown. Having completed the chassis yesterday evening, the front wheels are quite turned in. It doesn’t look normal. I have tried adjusting but with everything now ‘clicked on’ with regards to the front suspension and servo there isn’t much opportunity to adjust it and I am not confident enough to try to strip it down again without  breaking something. 

is this normal for the Lunchbox, or should the front wheels to be pretty flat and aligned with the rear? Concerned it’s going to affect the driving experience and ruin my fun if I can’t fix it. 

Have you got the shocks on? These tend to have massive toe in at full compression.

If not then adjust the length of the steering arms to suit.

Oh and welcome to the fold, I recommend getting your second kit on order now due to delayed delivery times

Hi, Yes shocks are on. I did adjust the length of the steering arms which did improve it, just wasn’t sure if this was expected for this model or if I had done something wrong given my lack of experience. 

thank you 👍🏻

Hi, welcome unto the fold child. Expect to part with a lot of money here-on-in and to become adept at hiding large boxes ;)

I'm sure you haven't - but just double check you've not installed the servo saver upside down (it should have the tab facing out away from the body, not in towards the front.)

Aside from that, it could just be down to small adjustments needed on the arms - it doesn't take much to make a big difference at the wheels. 

I think it's step 19 that says to adjust the arms as needed to bring the axles in line - As far as I know they don't say to do this on any other chassis - so it's obviously something peculiar to this. 

oh, and don't worry about breaking something - it would take quite a bit to do that. The ball connectors will usually just twist off the balls (if you have a pair of pliers use those of the plastic adjuster to twist it off, otherwise use a pen or something similar to lever it off)

Are we talking "toe" wheels pointing in or out at front.

Or camber?. Wheels sticking out top or bottom /\ negative camber 

\/ positive camber.

I think I got the positive and negative the right way, but it doesn't matter. Yes the lunchbox has camber on the stock set up.

Toe just affects the steering angle.

Camber affects tyre contact with the road.

You can adjust it slightly by stripping the shock and fitting a plastic bushing on top of chassis so shock is slightly compressed.

spacer.png

Hi - the front wheels if you look at the model are both turned in slightly. See picture. Just looks like I have done something wrong. 

2D8C63FE-B04A-4768-A9F2-2988F4B8DB29.jpeg

nah that's normal

plus, once you've got a battery in there and all the other stuff it'll straighten out a bit more. But it's normal - just how the suspension works

x2 that is normal

I do something different on mine to remove a bit of the angle. I like to put a servo grommet on top of the shock shaft so that its located against the hex head on the shock shaft. It serves to act as a bump stop for the shock shaft during rebound. It will be pressed between the shock shaft head, and the frame when the shock is not compressed. It makes the steering, handling, and CG a bit better.

4b.jpg

d5f.jpgMP 010 (WinCE).jpgMP 011 (WinCE).jpg

Sorry another question. I have just powered her up for the firs time. Sadly the servo is not centred and so I’m going to need to fix that 🙄. Didn’t know what it meant in the instructions regarding this - I do now!! I also have a slight delay with the motor when I push the joystick to drive forward but no delay for going backwards. Does that sound right? 

5 hours ago, Crossboyz said:

Also seems to spin faster in reverse 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reverse the direction on the controller and then swap the wires on the motor. Your current forward on the controller is reverse on the ESC

On 4/24/2020 at 12:31 PM, Crossboyz said:

Hi - the front wheels if you look at the model are both turned in slightly. See picture. Just looks like I have done something wrong. 

2D8C63FE-B04A-4768-A9F2-2988F4B8DB29.jpeg

Perfectly normal. You can reset it a bit by cutting the tubing bump stops in half (to 9mm) and putting a bit before the rod goes through the chassis then the other bit at the bottom as normal if you wanted.

You may want to adjust the "toe" angle when you get it running.

I find a little "toe out"  \/   so the wheels point out slightly at the front, helps with straight running at high speed.