Jeyk01

1:1 Scale Tamiya Sand Scorcher

Great build, I was lucky to see the Bug Box Scorcher on Maikäfertreffen in Hannover back then, but yours Looks as good as it, too!

If I remember correctly, the Bug box guys used a spacing "frame" between the chassis plate and the body, to get a bit more space for the big tires / suspension movement. Looks like you did not need it. Drawback was funny, the Driver couldn´t see much, until the seat did also get raised….:lol:

Very clean work! I can understand the work behind, as I also have a restored my beetle and are still working on my fathers convertible...

What engine did you choose for it, something bigger than 1600ccm?

Just curious, I guess it will never go Offroad, too precious.;)

Aircooled greets,

Matthias

10 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Great build, I was lucky to see the Bug Box Scorcher on Maikäfertreffen in Hannover back then, but yours Looks as good as it, too!

If I remember correctly, the Bug box guys used a spacing "frame" between the chassis plate and the body, to get a bit more space for the big tires / suspension movement. Looks like you did not need it. Drawback was funny, the Driver couldn´t see much, until the seat did also get raised….:lol:

Very clean work! I can understand the work behind, as I also have a restored my beetle and are still working on my fathers convertible...

What engine did you choose for it, something bigger than 1600ccm?

Just curious, I guess it will never go Offroad, too precious.;)

Aircooled greets,

Matthias

I had a 1600 dual port in it. It was plenty of power. Yeah I was inspired by that German build. Tamiya had commissioned them to do it with a budget of 100k! I think I was able to to mine for around $3500. I still have the decal files I made using Adobe Illustrator on disc somewhere, so I can definitely do this again someday. That was the hardest part of the build, and the most satisfying when I applied them. It was like having a giant rc car. 😂

FC3DB7D1-44C1-4B4E-B608-88E0CDC9750C.jpeg

• Like 3

Yeah, the bug box guys didn´t have to care about money! But your work is just outstanding, also knowing the budget!

Cool, that you did the decals yourself! But must be a thrilling Job to apply them, they are so much bigger and more difficult to handle than the original ones!:lol:

I assumed you would use a dual port.

Do you still own the car, or did you sell it in the meantime?

4 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Yeah, the bug box guys didn´t have to care about money! But your work is just outstanding, also knowing the budget!

Cool, that you did the decals yourself! But must be a thrilling Job to apply them, they are so much bigger and more difficult to handle than the original ones!:lol:

I assumed you would use a dual port.

Do you still own the car, or did you sell it in the meantime?

I sold it a few years later for a huge profit. It’s one of those regretful sells though. I do plan on building another one in the future, possibly with a Subaru or Ford 2.3 motor. I also want a full size Wild Willy some day. 😁

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Mate,  that is just gorgeous 👍🏻 Love it.

Thanks! When I had a garage I used to build a lot of custom vehicles. I also did a cool Military Jeep using a 2001 TJ as a platform. 

E6A9DAC3-F1D8-4CF7-893F-03CE9FD40F93.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Jeyk01 said:

I think I was able to do mine for around $3500.

Wow that’s a bargain 👍🏻, when you think an original vintage Tamiya 1/10 SS sold for $4000 once I believe before the re-re’s came out. 

10 minutes ago, Re-Bugged said:

Wow that’s a bargain 👍🏻, when you think an original vintage Tamiya 1/10 SS sold for $4000 once I believe before the re-re’s came out. 

Wow! That’s expensive. But I guess if I had millions of dollars I’d probably buy a NIB vintage SRB for several grand. 

• Like 1

Well I was thinking once you’ve got your 2nd 1:1 Scorcher and Wild Willy Jeep done, how about a Ford Ranger replica too?
Should be a walk in the park for someone of your calibre, I mean a big Ford body on a V-dub chassis how hard could it be 😉

http://24516984-9334-4F51-A481-533991C66248.jpg

And then a Rough Rider, Super Champ to round off a nice SRB garage full.

7 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Well I was thinking once you’ve got your 2nd 1:1 Scorcher and Wild Willy Jeep done, how about a Ford Ranger replica too?
Should be a walk in the park for someone of your calibre, I mean a big Ford body on a V-dub chassis how hard could it be 😉

http://24516984-9334-4F51-A481-533991C66248.jpg

And then a Rough Rider, Super Champ to round off a nice SRB garage full.

Yeah that would be pretty cool. 👍