Grumpy pants

Konghead What’s it like to own and use?

Looking at this more often now-

It has a Futaba S3003 servo.

A Quicrun 10BL120 ESS with a fan and perhaps a capacitor.

Foams in the tyres.

A Revtech 24K  17.5 brushless motor.

None it means anything to me, but it’s shiny and looks fast 😂

And these shocks all round-

image.jpg

• Like 1

She runs and drives - something very likeable about this truck 😊

I think the WW2 wheels, Monster truckish stance and oddness of 6 wheels makes it really interesting.

image.jpg

• Like 1

I've bought the King Yellow. OK, it was an alcohol-fueled purchase, but it's A BUS and I bought a second body wich will become the body of CATBUS. I've splurged on a 4WS-capable TX with a Flysky GT5 so 4WS is go. It's third or fourth in the build queue though, so maybe I'll have it done by about June. Totally looking forward to it though it looks like total fun!

• Like 1

Find yourself something steep and watch it climb with ease. It's pretty incredible how steep it can go without issues.

• Like 1

Thanks. Did you need new driveshafts / dog bones too? I assume so. Just trying to get the full list of parts to go wide. 

4 minutes ago, smirk-racing said:

Thanks. Did you need new driveshafts / dog bones too? I assume so. Just trying to get the full list of parts to go wide. 

Hi,

I've gone wide with my Konghead using TL-01B parts. You'll need upper and lower arms, dogbones and longer steering links.

Also I used the longer bottom shock rod ends.

Drives lovely, much less tippy.

I went wide-ish with mine, using WR-02CB parts. Still looks close to stock, but it is surprising how much more stable it is with just a bit more width.

I had this downstairs over the weekend ready to pack and move along, but for now it is staying and is on shelf duty 😉

Actually got the KH out for a run today, nice and gentle.

Tarmac, grass and some sandy hills, it’s a dusty truck now.

image.jpg

• Like 1

This is a very cool take on the Konghead chassis. Does anyone know what wheel tyre combination they're using?

• Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 7:25 AM, dannymulder said:

It do not hurt the tires, I have done that to a lot  of tires because I run most of the time on the beach and sand was getting stuck inside the wheels with this holes I can get it out easy.

I started doing this because of beach running too. Even with the tyres glued the sand can get in the breather holes in the wheels and suddenly your tyres are half full of sand and wobbling all over the place.

If you put holes around the centre line then cover vent holes in the rims and glue the tyres it's 1000% better. Not much sand will go in the holes and most gets flung back out anyway. Whatever is left can easily be removed via the new holes. It works the same way to keep water out too which can also build up and make your wheel wobble like mad.

I didn't realise it helped ballooning till after I started doing it, bonus!

• Like 1

Had my 3rd outing today with a bit more of a challenging terrain- just superb with gradients and the loose stuff, the 6 wheel drive is fantastic.

F62-BD62-E-8-C7-C-4526-A385-FFCF50-C5594

• Like 4

I live next to a small ski slope. Only about 200m. This, some trail and a playground are the best places to run in the neighbourhood.

Gotta love the King Yellow. I run it with my 7yo son and some of his friends.

Using a 5200kv Turnigy motor combo with an FS-GT5 radio allows me to set the end point pretty quickly. With a 5000mAH battery we get plenty of run time.

For the kids I set the throttle to 40% max and the school bus shoots up the slope summer or winter. Sometimes we find a big flat area of snow With no people and I let them go nuts at 100% for a while. But sometimes we hit the trails and drive slowly, doing techical manouvers and avoiding obstacles.

I love this kit for its versatility and ability to just go anywhere, anytime. The only things that haven´t been bulletproof are the body mounts that break on heavy rolls and the big bumper, which does the same. I keep the big bumper mostly to protect others from the car. As long as we stay at 40%, that is enough to avoid anybody getting hurt when they crash into themselves or others. And it only really breaks when we open up to 100% and somebody manages to get it to cartwheel.

• Like 1

It’s not like any other model I’ve owned and the driving experience is really positive.

If I’m not to heavy handed then grip roll isn’t too much of an issue-just twice so far on grass.

The ability to drive up sandy embankments and make it to the top without falling back down end over end was superb.

Little jumps were also really good fun, with it landing nice and square on all 6 wheels.

In all fairness whoever built this kit, spec’d it well and built it to a good standard which I am grateful for.

Right now I have no ambition to go 4 wheel steer or widen the stance, just enjoy it and drive within its/my limits.

My wife likes it as well, which is an added bonus 😊

• Like 4

Sadly there has been little or no free time for toys over the last 2 months, but today I cleaned up the KH and fitted the new longer step screws, locking nuts and some green wheels nuts, a lovely hour in the garden which went all to quickly-

image.jpg

• Like 2

Another packet of the 18mm step screws arrived today, which is great as they can be fitted tomorrow.

Just in time for a holiday near the beach in Wales with two of my daughters 💥

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 1:09 AM, Grumpy pants said:

It’s not like any other model I’ve owned and the driving experience is really positive.

If I’m not to heavy handed then grip roll isn’t too much of an issue-just twice so far on grass.

The ability to drive up sandy embankments and make it to the top without falling back down end over end was superb.

Little jumps were also really good fun, with it landing nice and square on all 6 wheels.

In all fairness whoever built this kit, spec’d it well and built it to a good standard which I am grateful for.

Right now I have no ambition to go 4 wheel steer or widen the stance, just enjoy it and drive within its/my limits.

My wife likes it as well, which is an added bonus 😊

I have to second most of what he says about the above remarks regarding handling and fun factor. 

I added the 4 wheel steering to King Yellow this weekend and it is a little twitchy and finicky dialing in the end points and dual rate.

Overall, this is one of the most fun RCs I have ever driven. 

• Like 2

Fitted the step screws today and it is now ready for a long weekend in Wales.

Hoping to run it everyday, beach, woods and gravel car parks 💥

• Like 1

Stick an FPV camera on the front and drive down to the corner shop in mornings for the paper & pint of milk so you can have a lie in 👍🏻

• Like 1

Wife took her first test drive with the 4 WS on the King Yellow, while I drove my SmT10 before work this evening . After we have both driven in 4ws mode the consensus is we are keeping it. I set up steering with a y cable instead of using a 3rd channel . 
I told how I could set it up part time with the 3rd channel and switch 2 , 4 or coordinate crab steering .

her reaction was “too complicated, keep it how it is . 

• Like 1

The trip to Wales was superb for us, not so great for the KH light mechanical injuries meaning little time was spent actually running it.

However new parts arrived today and have now fitted for a few days away in the New Forest in a weeks time 💥