Grumpy pants

Konghead What’s it like to own and use?

I'm still waiting to see someone paint the King Yellow up like the Partridge Family bus...

2 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I'm still waiting to see someone paint the King Yellow up like the Partridge Family bus...

I was Very tempted to get the clear body version whe I built mine and do that very thing .

Other ideas that crosses my mind were the Muppets “Electric Mayhem” bus as well as just a hydro dip style “random” paint job. 
I wound up getting the pre painted version instead. 
I will probably do something custom like that if I replace this one .

• Like 1

On 8/27/2020 at 8:44 AM, Dakratfink said:

Other ideas that crosses my mind were the Muppets “Electric Mayhem” bus as well as just a hydro dip style “random” paint job. 
I wound up getting the pre painted version instead. 
I will probably do something custom like that if I replace this one .

I have an unbuilt King Yellow, and I got a second body shell for it with the intention of making CatBus from Studio Ghibli... but seeing the Electric Mayhem bus....  that is very tempting!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

I have an unbuilt King Yellow, and I got a second body shell for it with the intention of making CatBus from Studio Ghibli... but seeing the Electric Mayhem bus....  that is very tempting!

I’d be interested in seeing either one ! I would also like to find ( or make/have made ) Shermer Illinois school district for my pre painted King Yellow

For those not familiar with Shermer. That is the fictional Chicago suburb most of John Hughes’ films take place in ( Ferris Bueller, Breakfast Club, Home Alone, Uncle Buck etc etc ) 

• Like 2

1st run on holiday and the long screw came out of the suspension wishbone, so getting a little bored now,

6 times I’ve used the KH and 4 times playtime has ended early,  my wife says it is time to move it a long. 

However my shocking memory had a foggy distant thought that @toyolien fitted TL01 shafts to his KH to solve this issue.

Just checking that I have understood this correctly and then if so the parts will be order as they are in stock on eBay.

image.jpg

New parts ordered and lost screw and drive shaft found.

I’ll put it back together tomorrow and have another run and hopefully it will be trouble free until I go home.

3 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

New parts ordered and lost screw and drive shaft found.

I’ll put it back together tomorrow and have another run and hopefully it will be trouble free until I go home.

I had one screw back out just the way you had there. Luckily I found the screw and dog one right away

• Like 1

‘O’ rings and driveshafts what do you recommend to keep them in place @Dakratfink @Mad Ax @toyolien @berman @TurnipJF

1 in each axle and drive cup?

I would say mine will get spirited moderate use, in the middle of driving Miss Daisy and heavy handed 👍

The aim is reliable, robust and low maintenance.

3 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

‘O’ rings and driveshafts what do you recommend to keep them in place @Dakratfink @Mad Ax @toyolien @berman @TurnipJF

I would say mine will get spirited moderate use, in the middle of driving Miss Daisy and heavy handed 👍

My driving is mostly like you describe. I only run one ORing in each cup, My build is mostly box stock  with a few upgrades I run a Hobby Wing 1060 with 15T brushed motor on 2 s Lipo. Drivetrain wise I have o my installed the one o ring recommended in the kit .  Over several months I have noticed the torque has twisted my dog bone shafts but it does not seem to effect performance.
I ( actual my wife was driving and hit a large block of concrete) have only broken one c hub carrier and fortunately I was able to get a parts tree of spares quickly. 
so I was right back one the road.

Otherwise I just check all the screws and hinge pins before and after run and when I clean it. 
I hope that info helps 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I just went with the manual, I think it's just one in the diff side cup? Just don't leave it out/miss one like I did, otherwise the cup backs out just enough to strip the splines and it's not particularly fun to pull everything off to split the chassis in half to replace the bevel gears ☺

I have also considered the Tl01 SS shaft set. It's winter here so the grass is wet most times, and I have had the screw pins deteriorate and make the suspension bind, which is also no fun to remove when you want to replace bevel gears 🤣

• Thanks 1

Another successful run today, just 1 battery pack but that was enough for me to be more than happy.

No breakdowns or breakages, for me Tamiya is a bit of light running, some tinkering and being a member of TC.

image.jpg

• Like 2

There is a lot to like about these trucks, I very rarely have to tip it back over and it very rarely gets beached or stuck and if it does get stuck the 6 wheel drive often means it can dig it self back out.

It goes more than fast enough for me and I like the way it climbs hills and gradients without tipping back over end over end.

I also like watching the wheels rise and fall over bumps as well, the 6 wheel thing is quite a novel to use and watch.

So this truck cost me £75 well built, nicely painted, superbly specced and delivered and then I’ve spent around another £75 replacing missing parts and on TC recommended hardware, so £150 all in.

I would definitely miss if it it got sold and it will be interesting to see how my other Tamiya feel in comparison now as I am enjoying this one so much.   

• Like 2

Last run of my holiday today, another 2 battery packs without any breakages.

Very happy, teething problems are behind me and I’m learning how to maintain it and gently upgrade it at the same time.

Ran it more enthusiastically today with a few grip rolls and tumbles without harm which was a relief. 

• Like 1

Any pics? I'm just sat watching 'The Crown' whist cutting out my Konghead body ready to paint.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, toyolien said:

Any pics? I'm just sat watching 'The Crown' whist cutting out my Konghead body ready to paint.

Apologies I’ve been a bit camera lazy this week, just the 2 shots earlier in the thread. 

I’m looking forward to seeing your painted KH 💥

Since the KH is a long term keeper I bought some foam body pads as it quite noisy as the body rattles around.

Anyhow £3.85 well spent and I guess when it rolls or tips over the body is less likely to get damaged by the pins on top and underneath it.

More exciting for me than you, but as my wife was distracted by a phone call I could use the scalpel which she doesn’t trust me with 😂

Leaves me 7 pads some which will be used on my Comical Grasshopper build, which is a few months down the road but none the less I am really looking forward too.

image.jpg

• Like 1

I've just bought some of those Schumacher foams to try on my Konghead. They look nice.

• Like 1

Had a hour to myself this evening to take out the battery in my daughters laptop so I could order replacement, which I did. 

I then took the KH suspension off so that I can clean everything up and fit the TL01 SS shaft set that arrived yesterday.

The plan is to do this over the next few evening as and when I can.

I am enjoying fitting the Hop Ups and getting to know it on a mechanical level, Lipo is next and then I’m done as far this model goes 👍

image.jpg

• Like 1

I haven't built my King Yellow yet; but since the suspension arms are roughly the same as the Comic WR-02-CB chassis: how did those pins fall out? They seem pretty sturdy on the Comical Frog/Hornet.

I haven't built mine yet as there isn't the space until I do some serious de-cluttering; however in the intervening period I have been slowly collecting hopup parts for it. Plus a second body which I am planning on turning into a Catbus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

I haven't built my King Yellow yet; but since the suspension arms are roughly the same as the Comic WR-02-CB chassis: how did those pins fall out? They seem pretty sturdy on the Comical Frog/Hornet.

I haven't built mine yet as there isn't the space until I do some serious de-cluttering; however in the intervening period I have been slowly collecting hopup parts for it. Plus a second body which I am planning on turning into a Catbus.

Re: pins backing out . I have run my King  yellow pretty hard on 50C Lipo with a Hobbywing/ 15T brushed motor combo. For sure a lot more punch than the 27t silver can on nimh. I have had suspension pins work their way loose, but nothing a little pre run check won’t prevent.  In my experience they don’t just pop out. They work loose over time.I’ve had similar things happen on old Traxxas hinge pins. If it continued to be a problem, you could always very very carefully put a very precise dab of CA glue on just threads of the pin, taking extra caution not to get any blue on the bearing/ pivot surface of the pin.

Oh also. I can not wait to see your Catbus shell finished and mounted 

• Like 2