Grumpy pants

Konghead What’s it like to own and use?

17 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

Oh also. I can not wait to see your Catbus shell finished and mounted 

It's a bit of a long term project, so don't hold your breath or anything.

4 hours ago, c64orinoco said:

It's a bit of a long term project, so don't hold your breath or anything.

Are you planning on painting t he Catbus likeness into the shape of the KY Bus body , or actually molding some kind of face ears

etc ? 

Either way I’m sure it will

be a long term project 

I cleaned up the KH and all the loose parts tonight in readiness of putting it back together Friday evening 😊

image.jpg

You can see in this picture the longer replacement 18mm step screws and 3mm lock nuts that hold them in place, this method was a top tip from @berman as the shorter Tamiya step screws would pop out and I’d loose a driveshaft and gearbox joint at the same time.

The faff of going somewhere, breaking down, finishing early, ordering, paying for parts and then having to wait for them was getting frustrating. 

£20 is all this cost and it is well worth the money, which is what it cost 1st time round to replace the lost parts 💥

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 10:30 AM, c64orinoco said:

I haven't built my King Yellow yet; but since the suspension arms are roughly the same as the Comic WR-02-CB chassis: how did those pins fall out? They seem pretty sturdy on the Comical Frog/Hornet.

I haven't built mine yet as there isn't the space until I do some serious de-cluttering; however in the intervening period I have been slowly collecting hopup parts for it. Plus a second body which I am planning on turning into a Catbus.

I’m pretty sure I just unlucky and the wheel caught something which in turn pulled the pin, the pins don’t have a lot of thread and I suspect are designed to give beyond a certain point. 

On 9/8/2020 at 4:21 PM, Dakratfink said:

Re: pins backing out . I have run my King  yellow pretty hard on 50C Lipo with a Hobbywing/ 15T brushed motor combo. For sure a lot more punch than the 27t silver can on nimh. I have had suspension pins work their way loose, but nothing a little pre run check won’t prevent.  In my experience they don’t just pop out. They work loose over time.I’ve had similar things happen on old Traxxas hinge pins. If it continued to be a problem, you could always very very carefully put a very precise dab of CA glue on just threads of the pin, taking extra caution not to get any blue on the bearing/ pivot surface of the pin.

Oh also. I can not wait to see your Catbus shell finished and mounted 

The CA glue is a great tip, but I figured £18 for the shaft sets was good value and would make the KH that bit more resilient.

I don’t need it to be built proof, just reliable otherwise it will get sold. 

On 9/10/2020 at 12:58 AM, lupogtiboy said:

Are you talking about this catbus?

latest?cb=20140206190410

Yes, the one and only 'Neko-basu'. The idea is to mold using styrofoam using the bus as a basic shape, and then covering with faux fur. I need to learn how to wrangle a sewing-machine first. And like I said this is a long-term project. Come back next year I may have some progress! :lol:

• Like 1

Spent an hours or so this evening fitting the TL01 SS shaft set to my KH.

Next stop lipo and I’d like to paint the inside of the shell to finish it off.

After that absolutely nothing, just run it and maintain it. 

image.jpg

4 hours ago, toyolien said:

Great upgrade. I've never liked those steel screw shafts. 

Thanks @toyolien for your help on this, I followed your lead and added the ‘O’ rings as well. 

Is two sets of 53301 enough to do all shafts on the KH? Are they the correct length so when you add the circlip there is no gap?

15 hours ago, CoolHands said:

Is two sets of 53301 enough to do all shafts on the KH? Are they the correct length so when you add the circlip there is no gap?

2 sets is enough and that will leave you some spares.

The KH uses 4 long shafts and 6 of the shorter ones.

They fit very snugly and I fitted O rings to one end and this makes it a tight fit.

The O rings are a nice detail, but optional I would say.

Its a bit fiddly, but worth the small expense and effort imo. 

I will soon get a King Yellow with a build Cassis without Bearibgs and a prepainted but not precutted Body.....

The Body is not stickered yet (good for me, most People cant sticker the Decals very well).

It would cost me 120 Bucks, so i think i will get it.

Is there a Shockset that is affordable? I do not want to buy Tamiya aluminium shocks. I would love CVAs.

But there are chinese shocks. Do anyone has them? Do they work fine or are they for the Bin?

Is there a plastic CVA Set with 6 shocks?

Is the double Servo Setup really nessesery or is a single Servo also good?

44 minutes ago, whahooo said:

I will soon get a King Yellow with a build Cassis without Bearibgs and a prepainted but not precutted Body.....

The Body is not stickered yet (good for me, most People cant sticker the Decals very well).

It would cost me 120 Bucks, so i think i will get it.

Is there a Shockset that is affordable? I do not want to buy Tamiya aluminium shocks. I would love CVAs.

But there are chinese shocks. Do anyone has them? Do they work fine or are they for the Bin?

Is there a plastic CVA Set with 6 shocks?

Is the double Servo Setup really nessesery or is a single Servo also good?

I wouldn’t bother with the 2nd servo personally, I think it makes the KH more prone to tipping over, unless maybe you’re going to use it as a crawler.

CVA’s are a great choice shock as well, not cheap by the time you’ve bought 6 but even so good value for money. 

What Size of CVA doeas the model need?

There only is that Chinese Alumnium Set, but i can`t find any infos in the Interweb or on Youtube:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/284387030144?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114154%26meid%3D36e6a49c65414e62b7944067af719bef%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D334185029062%26itm%3D284387030144%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

Mostly that kind of shocks are rubbish, but sometimes there are goodones too, and there is always the Option of green slime.

EDIT:

I have 2 Offers:

1st Offer: 120 Euros the first one (offerer doesn`t answer  anymore)  build chassis without any extras, prepainted Body, Stickersheet.

2nd Offer: 140 Euros With installed Super Stock Motor and a Lights, red painted rims (i do not like the red) a little bit used, but ok. Ballbearings? i do not know yet.  Oilshocks? i do not know yet. Radiogear? i do not know yet. Lightset installed:

Pictures of the 2nd one:

ky.JPG.7fd648bcd589a31967ffbc54e754f431.JPGkyy.JPG.41bdd6f33d869a654d25e701e78a2e74.JPGkyyy.JPG.abb6fedc61725b5fb9aec261b3b0a91b.JPG

I´m luky to tell you that i´ve got the Deal of the "King Yellow" (2nd offer) with a Lightset, a super Stock Motor, a Radio and full Ball Bearings for 130 Bucks! So 10 Bucks more than the first offer without Berings, Radio or anything...

I`m very happy!

I hope the Lightset isn`t ugly and fairly good mounted.
Can anyone tell me what Lights would be on wich Spot on the Bus?

I never saw an american Schoolbus in nature.

I assume all the rear Lights are red (stop when red lights flash) and the Headlights are white/yellow, but what Color does have the front lamps on the Roof??

What Dampers would be a good fit? If Tamiya or aftermarket ones - either of them are ok if they work fine. I just need a Set of 6 pcs.

The Chinashocks on Ebay are rubbish, you can see that they won`t performe in this Video:

Maybe they work better when you put the Rod in befor putting the diaphram and the Cap on.....

Last Question:

The Wheels are painted red.... How can i remove the Paint? wich Paint is the original Color and what Paint would fit?

I do not really like Chrome, Silverish Gray would be ok, Black with an yellow outer Ring would be nice....

I put TL-01 arms, a set of speed gears 20T pinion and a hot brushless system in my Konghead & the kit wheels just aren’t up to it! They have cracked & split & wobble like jelly on a plate. I’d like to get a set of roller skates like the ones on the Dynahead & do a speed run ‘cause it flieeeees!

R31 House kart wheels are said to be good replacements like for like. 

53619 for shocks using kit springs or the official (blue) alu ones are good, they are same as ones available for CC01 apart from the colour (which is brown/gold ish)

Im not int othaht mich Speed, i jast want so have a little bis uf 6x6 fun.

I was wishing to get 2 Sets of #84366 shocks. Theese are the Mini Shocks and would cost about 16 Dollars each....    and i had 8 yellow schocks and would have 2 extra shocks for my Astute Replica :D

Mini Shocks are recommended for the Wild Willy, so i would assume they would fit the Kong head/King Yellow. What lengh are recommended, watching the prices for CVAs i think i will search for other Producers of shocks...

Knowing ethe exact mm that i would need would be awesome.

I like to drive super soft Dampers, but a bit longer for some sag and negative shocktravel, so would not use Spacer inside the shocks. But a mm recommondation would be great.

Could i use 60mm Dampers?

Can anyone tell me what aftermarketdampers would be working (really working, not leaking)?

I purchased a King yellow ith ballbearings all aroud, Radiogear, and a super Stock Motor BZ for 130 Bucks. it was a steal I only have to organize the shipping.

So now i think i need Dampers, the guy didn`t say anything aboudt Dampers beeing changed and on the pictures you see black shocks. Theese could be either Pogos or CVAs, i assume Pogos.....

So now to the Damper Part:

There was a Set for the Wild Willy 2 #84366 with 4 !yellow! CVAs for around 15 Bucks. It would be awesome to get 2 Sets of them, because i nee 46 for the KY and 2 for a Astute Tribute.

If i by generic black CVAs on Ebay i would pay 40 for !2! plastic CVAs shipped or around 50 for 4 Dampers shipped......

So i would be paying minimum 100 Bucks for Plastic Dampers, that is definetly too much for me.

What aftermarketshocks could i use?

At "Conrad" they have 60mm reely aluminium Dampers, but i dio not trust them.

On Amazon they have 65 mm Shock from "Dilwe".....

And there are Shocks for WPL Cars in 55 mm, but they have zero Stars and only a comment in Aisan Letters....

https://www.amazon.de/Perfeclan-Aluminium-Stoßdämpfer-Quellen-Dämpfer/dp/B08G4WSKBW/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3BIEKZFUSWFDF&keywords=wpl%2Bdämpfer&qid=1643953820&sprefix=wpl%2Bdämpfer%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-9&th=1

Today my King Yellow arrived! Even a second Servo is included!

1644254281813767941719.thumb.jpg.ec72c0577efb065a12bd0a5a1f7fd313.jpg

Blinkers work too

16442546186681295878993.thumb.jpg.ba9f8392a80d46f3e08bf8f21194fc0f.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, it lokks like Fun, and it seems to be fun as well.

It has a Super Stock BZ Motor, a Lightset (few Lapms from the bus are missing, but the reflectors are built in), full Ball Bearings ans a second Servo in a Baggie included...

So i will install the 2nd Servo and i need Dampers.

I found 4 white and 4 Blue CVA Damperd that would fit i think.

The Blue Dampers have Plastic Pistons with holes installed and the white CVAs have Metalpistons.

I think they would look awful (because the Rims are also painted red, but i`m already accustomed to that) but i don`t want a model that is as colorful as the "Black & white" Models from Lego :D

There are Dampersets for:

55mm https://www.amazon.de/sharprepublic-Stoßdämpfer-Dämpfer-Ersatz-Modellfahrzeug/dp/B09MGDDJQ4/ref=sr_1_10?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=37KKX14B29F3F&keywords=rc%2Bdämpfer&qid=1644299553&sprefix=rc%2Bdämpfer%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-10&th=1

60mm https://www.amazon.de/Goolsky-stücke-Metall-Stoßdämpfer-Dämpfer/dp/B07JPZZKC7/ref=pd_sbs_1/259-0138710-9440358?pd_rd_w=ASiO4&pf_rd_p=7cf49d79-ae26-401a-94b7-1dec7a725ba4&pf_rd_r=FB35RX493EW4BVMBK9G0&pd_rd_r=a590f738-529f-43a0-b5b7-8975c26c33e8&pd_rd_wg=jcHye&pd_rd_i=B07JPZZKC7&th=1

But i really want to get CVAs. for a Set of 6 CVA i would have to pay around 100 Euros. I can`t do that for plastic dampers....

2x sets of 53619 tamiya CVA shouldn't cost that much (have to use kit springs)