TWINSET

Super Dragon (47438 Super Storm Dragon)

From @Mokei Kagaku FB

Super Dragon coming!

Tamiya will re-release the Super Dragon, but not as the original release as just a body parts set, but as a complete car kit.

Judging by the few photos available, the chassis specification will be completely identical to that of the The Hornet. Body will be factory painted.

94659053_2725292217597697_90552042244674

Looks like it'll be the 'Super Storm Dragon' though

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'll probably get this one, to replace my tribute Build I sold

26 minutes ago, HornetRacer 1971 said:

Interesting release.....

....I might have to change my name to "SuperDragonRacer 1971"

...lol

Or even

SuperStormDragonRacer 1971

Interesting release.....

....I might have to change my name to "SuperDragonRacer 1971"

...lol

Just now, taffer said:

Or even

SuperStormDragonRacer 1971

I wonder why they have included "storm" in the name?

I will ignore it in protest!

lol

Was it originally designed to fit The Hornet and Grasshopper? Never knew that!

There was a Saint Dragon too, right?

And it fits grasshopper 2 chassis and thundershot chassis

I seem to remember a few folks, including myself, making the suggestion that Tamiya market these "body set only" offerings as full kits. Guess it came true. I wonder if we'll be lucky enough to get true boxart?  Maybe we'll see a Winger and Dash 1 Emperor release too. 

1 hour ago, dc-arena said:

Was it originally designed to fit The Hornet and Grasshopper? Never knew that!

There was a Saint Dragon too, right?

The Super Dragon Thunder Dragon and Fire Dragon were all initially optional bodies for the Hornet chassis. Later Tamiya stuck the Thunder and Fire versions on the Thundershot chassis as full kits, but never the Super version. This is part of the reason the Fire Dragon in particular doesn't "fit" its chassis too well (the body seems to be mounted too far forward). I kinda would have personally preferred the Super Dragon body on the T-shot chassis myself (if it fit decently) as the missing third member next to the Thunder and Fire Dragons. This name changing business is growing tiresome too. The Super Dragon wasn't even a full release back in the day. Does someone else have the rights to the Super Dragon name now? Every time I glance at it, my mind sees "Super Storm Drain". All this aside, its neat to see the ol' Super Dragon finally get a full release. 

Yes, there was a Saint Dragon too, released on the Madcap chassis.

• Like 4

Tamiyablog says its on thr grashopper chassis - is tyere any difference between the hornet and grasshopper other than body and motor? Never had either of them. If the Saint Dragon is rereleased would the body fit a Super Astute or would I NEED a Madcap? BITD the Saint Dragon was the one I wanted since an astute was so far out of reach. And it looked weird.

45 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Tamiyablog says its on thr grashopper chassis - is tyere any difference between the hornet and grasshopper other than body and motor? Never had either of them. If the Saint Dragon is rereleased would the body fit a Super Astute or would I NEED a Madcap? BITD the Saint Dragon was the one I wanted since an astute was so far out of reach. And it looked weird.

The Hornet is an upgraded version of the Grasshopper. You get oil shocks (rear) and a different way of fixing the rear gearbox to the chassis at the front of the casing. The other differences you already know about, with the Hornet body being made of Lexan instead of plastic in the 'hopper's case.

• Like 2

The video shows hornet rear shocks, I'd expect it on the hornet spec

The Grasshopper wouldn't have the rear body mounts that are shown in the pic, unless the body comes with those pieces.

21 hours ago, HornetRacer 1971 said:

The Hornet is an upgraded version of the Grasshopper. You get oil shocks (rear) and a different way of fixing the rear gearbox to the chassis at the front of the casing. The other differences you already know about, with the Hornet body being made of Lexan instead of plastic in the 'hopper's case.

Saint Dragon would fit a Super Astute really well. The Madcap is the tub chassis version of the Super Astute. I just got a saint dragon repro from team blue groove and put it on my grasshopper2 chassis. Doesn't fit great, but it's ok, and i really like the weird look too. 

As for super dragon, i am glad they released another Coro Coro, but it's my least favourite. The proportions are weird, like the cab is too far back. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Saint Dragon would fit a Super Astute really well. The Madcap is the tub chassis version of the Super Astute. I just got a saint dragon repro from team blue groove and put it on my grasshopper2 chassis. Doesn't fit great, but it's ok, and i really like the weird look too. 

As for super dragon, i am glad they released another Coro Coro, but it's my least favourite. The proportions are weird, like the cab is too far back. 

Talking about Saint Dragon and Mad Cap, I want to point out (as before) that these bodies were intended for the DF-01* chassis too. (*At the time a series consisting of just the Manta Ray. The additional rear body mount post included and the slots and holes on the top of the battery tray are for fitting the Mad Cap and Saint Dragon body. These bodies fit the DF-01 (with plastic tubs) really well , but need to be cut slightly different than for the use on the Mad Cap / Saint Dragon chassis.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 1:24 PM, ThunderDragonCy said:

Yep, the front of the body looks too long. Its hanging off the front of the chassis. When I first saw this, I thought it was a joke. The body looks like it belongs on a boat with that wide window screen, and weird rear fins. Not a fan for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree but i still like it and I will be getting one

• Like 1