Kitzbuehel74

Fixing up my old Blackfoot

Hi all, new member and first post here.  Decided after building a TT02 Lancia Delta Integrale with my daughter that I would get my old Blackfoot out (Christmas present in 1987).  Currently stripping down to assess what needs done.  Aim to make it a runner so was planning on using re-re parts where needed. Here are a few photos so you can see what I’m working with.  All original bar replacement tyres and a fairly dodgy front bumper repair bodge.

5D3D73D4-EFC4-47BA-A1A5-6812FCE077AB.jpeg

13594F83-BECA-4C6D-88B5-A450645C6B91.jpeg

0C14E89A-E863-4F6F-9A8F-2A368AF84158.jpeg

43617594-8AFE-453D-A35D-C32049CB7D64.jpeg

• Like 3

Tell me you're going to replace that MSC if you're going to make it a runner.  Looks good!  I had an original Blackfoot and just 1.5 weeks ago built and ran a rere-blackfoot.  Love it.  The rear end is far better, especially with a MIP ball diff which I highly recommend.  badword, I'd highly recommend buying a rere and running the badword out of that.  Your original will be more fragile than you think.

Thanks for the advice, was defo planning to be switching in an ESC!  I have been looking at the AMPRO and MPI upgrades and could be tempted!  The existing hex drive components aren’t actually in too bad a shape.  The idea of buying a whole new rere kit and running it is also very tempting.  I’ll post more as the rebuild comes along.

Have given the body a bit of a spruce up. Filled worst of scratches.  Wet sanded and painted - not perfect but I’m happy.  Have decided to build a rere kit to preserve the vintage model to be an occasional runner. Sunroof needs re-fixing and Ramblin’ Ron needs repainted - next job on the list 

A171A323-3E3C-4069-A565-43FFBD1588CB.jpeg

A54BE9D3-9641-414C-B6E3-53C250199CA1.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Jeyk01 said:

Great job! I’m working on a Blackfoot too! Small world, huh? 👍

23EAEE50-36F8-48A5-B753-C2A02793F9D3.jpeg

Thanks, look forward to seeing more pics on your Blackfoot too 😊

• Like 1

Have managed to get a few things together and get the Blackfoot mostly put back together.  I decided to go replace the old manual speed controller with an ESC.  Switch cable was really short so have taken away both the resistor and the switch holder piece.  Just waiting on stickers from MCI, and front wheels which were last seen in Chicago. Great to have it back up and running after all this time 🙂C10DBA13-E019-4E58-86BD-737D9CB294BA.jpeg.ba0a47151c107973c0029256471155a2.jpeg

23DBAAB9-3512-498A-8DCB-DA8C9424149C.jpeg

• Like 4

MCI stickers arrived yesterday so got them on today.  Brought so many memories of building this kit with my dad in ‘87

4953A145-35EB-4DC1-8C73-7D1E8EB6E5CF.jpeg

• Like 8

Good job! It's totally stock and looks beautiful.

By the way, how do you like the MCI decals for this model?

Thumbsup Icon of Flat style - Available in SVG, PNG, EPS, AI ...

• Thanks 1

Thanks, MCI stickers  are very good, they aren’t as glossy as the original Tamiya ones but I think they look pretty good.  I used the hair dryer to help fix the larger ones and they didn’t seem to be able to take as much heat as tamiya stickers.    Really happy with how it has come out - will only be going out on occasional easy going trundles!

I like the vintage shell with Ford written on it. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Juggular said:

A TC member told me to pay extra $2 or so to get the glossy treatment.  Was the glossy version not as glossy? 

Good point!  I didn’t realise that there was that option until I had completed the order 🤦🏻‍♂️ So my stickers are just ‘standard’.  Still look great though

• Like 1

Ah, you saw that before I changed it.  After writing that, I thought I shouldn't mention the option.  If this is one and only restoration, I was afraid it would make you feel bad.  If you do another restoration, though, knowing the options would help. (but you already knew!)  Either way, it looks good.  

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

A TC member told me to pay extra $2 or so to get the glossy treatment.  Was the glossy version not as glossy? 

Sorry to touch the topic again, but, does that mean that you order a $9.99 decal, but you need to shell out another $2 to get it like the Tamiya version? I'm no fan of super glossy, I was asking because I need two sheets and I am only ten bucks away to be able to pay the postage costs to get them, and would like the Super Champ and Avante to look the best possible. Ah, the ever complicated payment thing... <_<.

Other than my questions about decals, I am LOVING this Blackfoot rebuild. Looks gorgeous.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mongoose1983 said:

Sorry to touch the topic again, but, does that mean that you order a $9.99 decal, but you need to shell out another $2 to get it like the Tamiya version? I'm no fan of super glossy, I was asking because I need two sheets and I am only ten bucks away to be able to pay the postage costs to get them, and would like the Super Champ and Avante to look the best possible. Ah, the ever complicated payment thing... <_<.

Other than my questions about decals, I am LOVING this Blackfoot rebuild. Looks gorgeous.

Yep, you have a $2 option for a gloss coat or a matt coat to be applied that gives better UV protection too.  As I say I am really happy with the standard finish it’s just they aren’t quite the same as the tamiya originals.  Glad you like the build, I have kept everything as stock with the exception of putting in a hobbywing 1060 esc.  Still waiting on a set of front wheels and then it will be done.  Got a ww2 coming soon 😁

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

would like the Super Champ and Avante to look the best possible

I own neither so I don't know how shiny the stickers were. 

But this is what the glassy overcoat option looks like.  

kYuygTl.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Juggular said:

I own neither so I don't know how shiny the stickers were. 

But this is how the glassy overcoat option looks.  

kYuygTl.jpg

Thank you! That looks very much like the originals. A friend here got MCI decals for his Scorpion and Turbo Scorpion and they were beautiful. Perhaps is the gloss thing that I missed from the top notch decals that TamiyaClub used to sell years ago? Anyway, when I get to sell something I'm going to order them stock, $4 isn't too little to save nowadays.

Once again, PLEASE EXCUSE me @Kitzbuehel74

Now I'd love to have a look at your next Wild Willy 2 project :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mongoose1983 said:

Thank you! That looks very much like the originals. A friend here got MCI decals for his Scorpion and Turbo Scorpion and they were beautiful. Perhaps is the gloss thing that I missed from the top notch decals that TamiyaClub used to sell years ago? Anyway, when I get to sell something I'm going to order them stock, $4 isn't too little to save nowadays.

Once again, PLEASE EXCUSE me @Kitzbuehel74

Now I'd love to have a look at your next Wild Willy 2 project :)

No worries @mongoose1983I have looked through my photos so you can compare the 33 years old original tamiya glossiness (bottom) with the standard MCI stickers (top) I actually think the slight Matt finish suits my paint job better!87BEBB22-DBFF-41B1-9EC2-266B1E3A6D6A.jpeg.c42731cebea63a6b169218ec7628b06b.jpeg09A9201C-F80D-47DA-B027-411497880B7D.jpeg.27d3a857991b92d593b265d2dfa7d63a.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks. I understand what you say. The decals have to match the paint job, so in the end they don't look like decals. Most the times excess of 'glossyness' tend to look toyish in some RC cars.