Sign in to follow this  
Chad1376

New member - re-discovering RC

Hello all.  My first post!

I'm re-discovering RC to keep my sanity after a bit of confinement.  I found this forum after SurryDad's excellent build thread for the M-07R.  I have one on order now, and can't wait to dive into my own build.

My kid dug my old RC10 B2 out of the closet a few weeks ago.  I did a full rebuild, and outfitted it with modern brushless/Lipo goodies, got a new radio, and a nice charger.  I discovered a few things:

1) I really like doing paint and body about as much as driving.

2) A buggy gets boring pretty quickly if you don't race or have a good track to drive it on (desert around here is very rocky)

I remembered how much fun I had years and years ago with my old Tamiya M-01 Mini.  It wasn't fast, and the chassis was stone-age to say the least.  Front wheel drive was a kick though.  Power-on understeer, power-off oversteer etc.

Looking up the latest Tamiya stuff, I found the M-07R.  Oh yah - I gotta have that!

I also have a Europa body on order.  I'm a bit frustrated with availability of M bodies here in the US though.  It looks like there's a great selection from shops in Hong Kong, but I'm avoiding overseas shipping for the time being, since I don't want to wait a long time to get started.

Here's my recent B2 rebuild.  I'm going to transfer the electronics to the M-07 and make the buggy a shelf queen.

i-G55ZDP3-M.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome.  The M-07R is a really nice build. I just put one together and it seems so much more stable and well thought out compared to the TT series. Also move that all of the screws are hex - would suggest you to tap the threads into the plastic as you go through the build.

Agree on the availability of (Tamiya) body shells though - the Mx-5 is about the only option if you want to build it as a middle wheel base build.

Welcome fellow M-07 owner! A great choice - and a great runner. A fair bit more demanding than the FWD M-chassis that came before it, but simultaneously more rewarding when you get it right, which IMO makes one a better driver in the end. Hope you do a build thread, as even though there are a few such threads already, it is always nice to get another person's perspective on a build.

Hmm - I probably wouldn't have much to add for a chassis build thread.  I did play around with my vinyl cutter to make custom masks for the windows, stenciled lettering on the inside of the body (not stickers), and the hex patterns for my RC-10.  I could detail out some of those processes, including how to scan/measure and cad up masks to use with a cutter.  Not sure, has anyone done stuff like this?

i-4vdDxW6-M.jpg

Fun fact - vinyl is a little bit stretchy, but still has issues with compound curves.

I too just blew off the dust on my original Blitzer beetle. Its seen better days but still runs and my 8 yo son loves to drive it. Got a new battery off of Amazon and that's been going great.  Till last night when he broke the rear chassis housing. I tried to JB Weld it but it didn't hold up. So now I'm waiting for some eBay parts to show up.  I'd love to buy a broken down spare if anyone knows of one. 

IMG_2607 2.jpeg

They appear on eBay every now and then, but they ain’t cheap :(

AFAIK the blitzer beetle is still in production, so (in theory at least) parts should still be available. However there seems to be a current shortage of blitzer parts in the western world. I'm sure this will be rectified once global trade returns to something approaching normal. 

On 4/26/2020 at 5:03 PM, Chad1376 said:

1) I really like doing paint and body about as much as driving.

i-G55ZDP3-M.jpg

This is your paintjob? WoW! I totally like honeycomb design and also the smoothe colors. I am totally stoked, respect.