Howdy, so a while back I purchased a TRX4 Blazer as I like the body. But I drove it for the first time over the weekend and its weird. Any of my Tamiya RC's have proportional speed control and will coast if you let off the throttle. My Blazer in low gear is basically on/off when throttle is applied. The speed does not change no matter where you put the throttle and when you let off it simply locks the wheels and skids to a stop, there's zero coast. I've watched dozens of crawling video's online of people slowly creeping up steep inclines with their TRX4's, yet this truck which was "preassembled ready to drive" is clearly not capable of doing that. Obviously I'm going to try setting up the ESC as it doesn't act like its done correctly. Has anyone else seen this before, or have experience with the XL5 TRX4?

A crawler specific ESC will have a drag brake - ie. when you throttle off, it basically brakes (and subsequently holds the vehicle on a slope too), it won't coast/freewheel - and when running in low range/at low speed that will feel like an instant stop (which is kind of what you want when crawling of course) - but it does sound like something is not set up right with yours, as you ought to have proportional control of the throttle, in both high range and low range - even if the gearing in low range is very short.

Jx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the reply @JennyMo. I'm a fan of your builds. I'll try driving it in high gear before messing with the ESC. I want to know if it has proportional throttle in high gear or if its only on/off like the low gear is. I'm not sure what that will tell me. But its more than I know right now.  :-)  This is my first crawler as I only collect Tamiya "Wheelies". 

These have a few modes on the ESC. One can set it to drive “normally” the others are set specifically for crawling 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried the high gear and its the same, its on/off no matter where the throttle is positioned. So there's something wrong in the ESC, most likely not setup correctly. It doesn't sound like anyone else has had this problem which is both good and bad. If I can't fix it I'll just go brushless... Thx everyone!

I got it fixed. But the problem wasn't the mode. It turned out to be the travel calibration. And I found out there's more than one version of this transmitter. So you have to know which one you have in order to find the right manual to do the calibration. Thanks everyone!