Sign in to follow this  
AQUABATH

Airbrushes ?

Any recommendations for a good quality airbrush and potential compressor at sensible money. I had a Paasche many years ago so am thinking the same again, but always ran it off a Co2 cylinder.

Iwata are the Rolls Royce by all accounts, as are their compressors.

Currently I'm using a cheap HobbyKing brush, combined with my workshop 17CFM compressor.

Brush works fine, although I'd love an Iwata, and I'm sure the neighbours weren't keen on my compressor screaming at 2-3am which always seemed to be the time when I was hurriedly painting a shell for a race meet. :lol:

When I was a kid I had a Paasche suction feed, and no compressor. I used to inflate a car tyre with a foot pump as much as I could (around 60PSI, took forever I might add and was agonising work) and spray until I lost pressure and start again.

Had to make 'custom' fittings and connections using rubber hose, wire and super glue to get this to work. Did the trick, but wouldn't want to go down that road again :lol:

I'd suggest determining your application, whether it be blowing on some colour for a backyard basher or for a concourse winning shell, and allocating a budget price to achieve that and seeing what gear will suit you best.

• Like 1

Iwata are hands down the best, but very pricey.  I still use Paasche, quality is still good at half the price of Iwata.  

For jobs that require quick paint change and fill up, I use the Paasche Talon TG Gravity feed.  You can pick the 3 needle set plus fan tip for $100.  The Fan tip is great for covering large areas such as an RC body.  

For jobs requiring lots of paint, I use the Millennium which is a siphon feed.  Its basically the same as the Paasche VL series but slim design. The 3 needle sets for these can be had for $75.  

For compressor, I had a Paasche for 30 years but sold it with an old Paasche H airbrush and picked up an Iwata compressor used for cheap.  

Paasche new D500 compressor should be plenty for your needs as well.  

I use the Iwata Neo series of airbrush (it's their entry level airbrush) Choice of 2, 1 cup on top and a finer needle, the other bottle feed from below and a larger needle. Both been very reliable and I've been pleased with the results. As ever with airbrushing a lot of the success is in getting the pressure and thinning of the paint right. 

:O)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pteppic said:

As ever with airbrushing a lot of the success is in getting the pressure and thinning of the paint right.

+1! That is key.

I also use Tamiya pressure packs for the larger surface areas and backing.

For two reasons, I'm yet to find a colour to match Tamiya PS16 (my main race colour), and also I don't have a suitable brush to lay large surface areas.

On a side note, I'm not advocating chroming by any means, but I also enjoy the smell of Tamiya PS paint. :blink: