Robbed the BEC from my TRX4 as that one is currently out of order and installed it in the Clod.

So far so good, and it runs fine, will be running it some more in the weekend.

Next step is going to be a lexan body so I don't trash this one :lol:

• Like 1

Ordered a sound unit for my crawler, but tried it in the Clod first, might actually leave it there.

Unit is a Sense Innovations ESS One+

Wanting to upgrade it, but having waaaay to much fun bombing around in it :lol:

But I really need a lexan body, already trashed the rear bumper :blink:

• Like 2

Somehow burnt the stock ESC and RX, so I got a new RX and QuicRun 880 on the way.

The QuicRun 880 also has a better BEC than the stock ESC (4A 6V vs 2A 6V), so I probably won't need the extra BEC anymore, cleans it all up a bit.

Also ordered 2 cheapo 17t motors with a black Friday deal on Ali Express, 2 GoolRC 17t motors for €6 each, so I figured those are worth a try.

• Like 1

Looking forward to see how the new Motots handle.

I´ve been thinking about to get a hobbywing ESC and 2 Super Stock Motors (26.500 RPM and good Tourque 500g/cm) they performe good so far in my wild Dagger.

Now i`ve been using 2 GT Tuned motors and the Stock ESC (Because i liked the handling of the Stock ESC better than the Hobbywing, but i had the crawlermode installed, so it was a mistake), it was probably a silly decision. Maybe i should have ordered a Hobbywing ESC instead and used Super Stocks in my Clod, because the GT-Tuned Motors aren`t much of an inprovment.

The Specs of the GT-Tuned:

Motor: Tamiya GT Tuned (53779) 
Turns: 25T
Torque: 500g/cm
RPM: 19,000
Timing: Fixed (but Moddable)
Year: 2005

Intended / best use for: 

A high performance motor designed for On / Off Road applications

The Specs of the Super Stock BZ:

Motor: Tamiya Super Stock BZ (53930)
Turns: 23T
Torque: 500g/cm
RPM: 26,500
Timing: Fixed (but easily moddable)
Year: 2006

Intended / best used for: 

A high performance motor designed for Off Road applications 

The Specs of the GoolRC 17t:

Brand: GoolRC
Type: 540 17T
Max voltage: 8.4V
Idle current: 3.58A
RMP: 26000

But they have Bearings inside. The Tamiya ones do not have Bearings.

So i think the GoolRC Motors will likely performe like the Super Stock Motors, but they will cost  1/4 of them.

Sou can get 8 Motors for the Price of 2 Tamiya Motors...

• Like 2

I've liked the way that my GoolRC Motots performe. Gud Torque, efficient... My 15T GoolRC Motors rev to 31,000rpm! IMO, the B-ZED, R-ZED, and all the other little Zeds don't offer enough of an advantage for their high cost anymore.

Sadly a lot of China CRAP has actually become GOOD. 

And the Hobbywing WP880 ESC might be the best Dual Motore ESC - period. With the WP1080 being the best Crawler ESC, full stoppe. The amount of adjustability is staggering!

The Tamiya Motors do not offer any advantages :D

But they are Tamiyabranded, long lasting and do offer a higher Motorlimit.

Whats the lowest Motorlimit of the Hobbywing ESC?

Running 2 1080's in my crawlers so the Quicrun 880 was a no-brainer.

But don't have a clue on the faster brushed motors, so I thought the GoolRC were worth a try due to them being so cheap.

Good to know you like them @Carmine A

@whahooo the 880 has the following limits:

2S LiPo 12 Turn
3S LiPo 18 Turn
4S LiPo 24 Turn
  • Like 1

So you could run 2 hpi Firebolts. I think they aren't timed....

I heared the firebolts are good long lasting and cheap motors.

• Like 1

I would Order the 105mm ones.

The 100mm internal Spring Shoks do have a better Look, but if you ask me you need 2 of them on each wheel just for looks.

I suggest the 105mm ones because you can get some more suspensiontravel.

I do have 120mm shocks unstalled and it is just a teeny weeny bit to much.

I've should have ordered 110mm shocks.......

• Like 2

So, the internal spring are a no-go for the Clod paired with normal shocks?

You are from Netherlands, i`m from Austria, both writing in English.......

(The one Austran Person who has the best english skills is Arnold Schwarzenegger....)

So, now i understand what you want to do

You want to put 1 normal Shock and 1 Internalspring Shock on each Weehl

I thought you want to buy either 4 of them or 4 of the others and put 1 o shock on each Wheel.....

Yeah, i would like to see a "dual mixed shock setup" :D

What i wanted to say:

I think 2 of that internal shocks on each wheel  provides the best look for me.

AND i thing 105 or 110mm shocks are an ideal ridehight because you get a little bit more Suspensiontravel with the Stock Chassis.

• Like 2

Still waiting on the ESC and motors before I can run my Clod again.

Only need to hop into my LHS with it after fitting the motors and ESC to test fit some lexan bodies before I completely trash the stock body with the faster motors.

Also got 2 pair of white JConcepts Tribute wheels and red beadlock rings on the way as I finally got a back in stock notification.
Need to order 2 pair of tires to go with them, don't want to cut up the stock tires to fit them to the Tribute wheels, RCMart have them in stock, but shipping costs more than the tyres itself...

For the shocks I set "back in stock notifications" as all of them are out of stock at the moment.

To further customize it I have been looking at custom chassis' and really like the South West Monster Shop KK3
Costs more than the Clod itself, so I will need a lot of time to think about it... :blink:
But it looks fantastic  :ph34r:

And now I know why most people call the Clod Buster a money pit :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got the ESC in, still no motors, so it is still running the silver cans for now.

50746459891_31660c7b4e_b.jpg

50746566727_45a3ebdfa4_b.jpg

50746566817_d4419895f4_b.jpg

Also got the J-Concepts Tribute wheels and beadlock rings in, using the stock tires:

50745723188_bba9d8fd5f_b.jpg

50745722788_12d45868a3_b.jpg

50745722803_9d35048f8b_b.jpg

50746459531_9505c08c49_b.jpg

Also got myself a Spektrum DX5 Rugged Limited green edition.

Love how it looks so far, next up is a lexan body, got one in backorder already.

• Like 3

Finally got the motors in, they feel pretty good, soldered new power leads as the one that come on them are waaaay to short.
Got them mounted and some bench testing shows serious power on 2s compared to the silver cans.
Might order 2 more as spares, just in case.

50824297507_202f3eae2c_b.jpg

Had to glue the beadlock rings to the wheels, with the new motors they pop loose.
The stock tires are not glued to the wheels and they seem to hold great so fare, will see how it goes when running outside.

When it dries up a little around here I will take it for a testdrive outside.

Hopefully I won't trash the stock body before the new one shows up :ph34r:

My new color scheme won't contain yellow or blue, so I had the rear lockers printed in black.
New shocks will be black or red, not sure yet, also waiting on an in stock notification for those.

Traxxas oil filled shocks work very well - they were the go to upgrade for mod clods 5-8 years ago; even better when you could get them pretty cheap from UK parts sellers.

IMG-6526small-zps79a68dcb.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Percymon said:

Traxxas oil filled shocks work very well - they were the go to upgrade for mod clods 5-8 years ago; even better when you could get them pretty cheap from UK parts sellers.

Looks great!

Do you happen to know which Traxxas shocks these exactly are?

E o T-Maxx stock shocks - 100mm length, plastic bodied, oil filled = they used to be about £20 for a set of 8.  

They are Traxxas TRX3762 items, but often sold as 4907, such as these..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Traxxas-4907-T-Maxx-3-3-Shocks-W-Springs-8-Spacer-E-Maxx/224230953338?hash=item343534d17a:g:lBoAAOSwe~lfrFhP

• Like 2

On 1/11/2021 at 4:33 AM, Yonzariq said:

Finally got the motors in, they feel pretty good, soldered new power leads as the one that come on them are waaaay to short.
Got them mounted and some bench testing shows serious power on 2s compared to the silver cans.
Might order 2 more as spares, just in case.

Which motors are these?  Zero timing?  I would like to upgrade the original silver cans in my vintage Clod.

Edit:  nevermind.  You said earlier in the thread.

Still interested on how they work out.  I am running an 880 esc also.

• Like 1

A Clod needs oil shocks. Mine used to have a body shimmy when driven, like it had a nervous condition. I used heavy weight oil in mine. This was back in the day. The Esc needs to be beefy to handle 2 motors. The hotter the motor the more that will be true. 

Not a yellow fan but yours really looks good! Have fun.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kwkenuf said:

Which motors are these?  Zero timing?  I would like to upgrade the original silver cans in my vintage Clod.

Edit:  nevermind.  You said earlier in the thread.

Still interested on how they work out.  I am running an 880 esc also.

So far they run great, but I need some new lipo's, the ones I have (5200mah 2s) only have about 10min runtime in them left...

6 hours ago, Tamiya Fan 1 said:

A Clod needs oil shocks. Mine used to have a body shimmy when driven, like it had a nervous condition. I used heavy weight oil in mine. This was back in the day. The Esc needs to be beefy to handle 2 motors. The hotter the motor the more that will be true. 

Not a yellow fan but yours really looks good! Have fun.

Got the quicrun880 ESC, and a lexan body in backorder, it feels a bit too top heavy with the stock body and hotter motors.
The next upgrade will be some oil shocks, not a fan of the stock pogo sticks combined with the hotter motors :lol:

On 1/11/2021 at 10:12 AM, Percymon said:

I should have bought this when it came up for sale, a missed opportunity on my part!

• Like 1

Oil shocks are a major difference on how it will handle, changes handling big time. Go with all 8 shocks oil filled. Pricey but a must. Mine had adjustable collars which made the springs stronger and could fine tune it. Those were from the 90's and were "Trinity" (not made any more)  Mine had 3 Ni-cad cell packs in it. Two square c-cell packs that went in front/back pockets between the tires and one stick pack in the center like normal, for lights. So it had some weight to it. It was strong (torque/ pulling) and still pretty fast. Truck pulling was big back then. "Monster Jamb" motors of all sizes were every where. 

Going with 2 servo's for steering and a 4 channel stick transmitter you get crazy cool steering. Front/rear wheels can be steered opposite each other and still goes straight. Like "Grave Digger" used to do, maybe still does, back when they were actual trucks with a real body on it. (different now)  I couldn't afford the 4 channel radio back in the day, but saw them around. (very cool)

What does the cross (+) on axle do? Also what is the rubber bead lock ring for? Just for looks or functional?

Just some thoughts. It's a fun truck, enjoy.

• Like 2

I just ordered the black Super Clod, has anyone bought the RCSCREWZ screw set?  can anyone vouch for them or the company?  I think I'm over the JIS screws.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, undertheradar said:

I just ordered the black Super Clod, has anyone bought the RCSCREWZ screw set?  can anyone vouch for them or the company?  I think I'm over the JIS screws.  

i hear rcscrewz not that great and missing or incorrect sizes. i have teamknk for my super clod build.

• Like 1