junkmunki

Average member age.

Whilst browsing the forums this morning, i noticed the sidebar that mentioned all the members that had birthdays today.

First off, happy birthday guys, have a good day.

I noticed that all the ages seemed to be very close together, within about 5 years of each other, and that they were all late 40s or early 50s. I am in the late 40s club myself, and i was wondering what the average age of the TC members is.

Are we a group who mostly got into rc in the 80s, or do young people and children still get into rc now?

People into rc who have children, obviously pass it onto them and get them involved, but in this time of computor gaming and mobile phones, do kids still get into the hobby of their own interest?

J

I’d say it’s a Tamiya thing rather than an RC thing regards the age.

I’d imagine kids today are more in to the instant gratification of a pre built Traxxas or something.  Younger people seem more into ‘bashing’ which is new to me after recently discovering it even existed!  Blows my mind seeing people smashing 5/6/7/£800’s worth of RC into walls and ramping them to smash up.

Also, kids today have modern tech to keep them busy.  In our day an RC car was more impressive than early video games.

• Like 3

This is the info off an RC page I help Admin on Facebook , seemingly most RC are about the same.

2019-02-14_10-41-16

24 minutes ago, jameswrx said:

I’d say it’s a Tamiya thing rather than an RC thing regards the age.

I’d imagine kids today are more in to the instant gratification of a pre built Traxxas or something.  Younger people seem more into ‘bashing’ which is new to me after recently discovering it even existed!  Blows my mind seeing people smashing 5/6/7/£800’s worth of RC into walls and ramping them to smash up.

Also, kids today have modern tech to keep them busy.  In our day an RC car was more impressive than early video games.

I noticed this also, I am 33 myself and have always liked Tamiya, but around here almost everyone is into "bashing" with Traxxas, Arrma etc, I don't see the fun into that.
Whenever I mention Tamiya on meetings or when visiting the LHS most people call it too expensive, crap or overpriced toys which cannot be used for anything, with no arguments whatsoever.

• Sad 1

Don’t show those figures to @JennyMo or any of our other lady membersimage.png.ca135da1f808614815b45092add24b95.png

Edited by Busdriver
Missed off word
  • Haha 5

In this enlightened age of gender equality, the vast discrepancy between male and female participants in the hobby continues to puzzle me. Could It be because most of us are into it as adults because we were into it as children, and things were nowhere near as enlightened back then?

• Like 2

If you look at today’s birthdays 🎂  looks like about average of 50.

the wrong end of my 40`s here, looking at the big 50 coming on like train. I think the upper age thing is probably more to do with kids/houses/mrs being sorted by this age and having the time and money to regress to childhood. Not that I`ll ever admit to growing up in the first place mind :D

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

38 I am trying to get my kids into it.  They like to run them but aren't into building them.  My 46 year old brother had a Fox when we were kids, that was my intro.  I got an RC10T2 as my first real RC and for the most part haven't looked back.

• Like 1

49. I suppose I fool with r/c because it's the only thing I can do that makes me feel like a kid again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Don’t show those figures to @JennyMo or any of our other lady members

We don't discriminate against anyone, as long as you're an RC nut, you're welcome, but data is data. 

2 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

Could It be because most of us are into it as adults because we were into it as children, and things were nowhere near as enlightened back then?

I think so, Midlife , situation anyone? 🙄🤔😂😂

• Like 1

Physically 48, but mentally about 10....:D

When people say its good to be in touch with your inner child, i am my inner child....:P

J

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TurnipJF said:

In this enlightened age of gender equality, the vast discrepancy between male and female participants in the hobby continues to puzzle me.

Women are generally more mature than men, which is their loss.

• Haha 5