junkmunki

Average member age.

43 next month.

I have more free cash now than I did as an 11 yo when I got my first RC for Xmas. (Falcon btw :lol:)

Making up for lost time when I was 7 or 8 when I was first fantasising about the seemingly unobtainable kits on gratuitous display at the local Toyworld store.

I think we are all sailing the same ship right now.

• Like 2

18 y.o 

I love Tamiya R/C's as much as the next person, but most r/c enthusiasts my age haven't even heard of tamiya. Crawling and bashing are the most popular segments for them, and while I like crawling, I've never been a true basher (intentionally trying to break the poor things 10 + meter jumps, 6s lipo in a 1/10th scale car) since I think it is pointless and just dumb. I'll take my tamiya's over most modern R/C's. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Busdriver said:

Don’t show those figures to @JennyMo or any of our other lady membersimage.png.ca135da1f808614815b45092add24b95.png

Hee hee - fwiw. I imagine its based on the information you give when you sign up? Often on forums there is a check box that you tick if you want to state your genger - same as if you want your birthday/age displayed and your country/ location - all of which tend to be optional in an effort to appease thouse who wish to protect their personal information online.

Of course generailly speaking, we see it as a nice ‘happy birthday’ message - and often on forums particularly you end up giving away a lot more personal information once you start ‘chatting’ anyway... but increasingly in this day and age, some forums like other social media platforms use the fact they have collected huge amounts of data, usually given willing (or at least your have no choice due to T&Cs at sign up), which can subsequently sold to third parties and used for other marketing perposes.

At the end of the day, when talking about an subject which is not directly gender specific, it really ought not matter what gender you are (in my working life I do a lot of stuff with motorcycles and engineering for example), and indeed in certain social media circles, it would appear there is still an obvious gender bias amongst a fair proportion of their members when it comes to certain subjects?

Jenny x

I'm 'average' age on here, have always preferred Tamiya models to other makes, have never down the traxxas / HPI route, my son really likes his Clodbuster, but does prefer the Madinventor 'specials' :)

• Like 1

I am 50. A few short days from now I’ll turn 51. My son is finishing up his junior year of HS and he could care less about RC stuff. He is big in baseball, football, and X-BoxOne. He also plays piano and is a black belt in taekwondo. He expressed interest in photography, so we got him a camera for Christmas. So, he’s got plenty of interests.....just not RC. Oh, and being a teen, his social life is a hobby. LOL

• Like 2

Yes, certainly based on ages the above, it would appear our love for the Tamiya brand particularly stems from the height of their popularity and desirability back in the early 1980s...

Jx

• Like 3

Those stats are a bit extreme, although I don't know a single female who would even look at RC in any way but bewilderment.  My daughter will have a go, but building them in the first place, or fixng them when they don't work... not a chance! 

Mind you, when I'm painstakingly trying to position a sticker she's all over me to have a go.  So maybe I'll have a master builder in my boy and a master finisher in my girl.  Sorted!  :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JennyMo said:

At the end of the day, when talking about an subject which is not directly gender specific, it really ought not matter what gender you are (in my working life I do a lot of stuff with motorcycles and engineering for example), and indeed in certain social media circles, it would appear there is still an obvious gender bias with a fair proportion of their members when it comes to certain subjects?

To be honest with you, i couldn't care less if you had three heads, so long as you enjoy the hobby, so gender makes no difference whatsoever. In todays society, there are people that spend so much much time being offended or objecting to other peoples lives, or something they have heard, that they've kind of missed the point, and that is that their own life is just passing by. So go get a hobby and be happy.:)

More power to you JennyMo.

J

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

To be honest with you, i couldn't care less if you had three heads, so long as you enjoy the hobby, so gender makes no difference whatsoever. In todays society, there are people that spend so much much time being offended or objecting to other peoples lives, or something they have heard, that they've kind of missed the point, and that is that their own life is just passing by. So go get a hobby and be happy.:)

More power to you JennyMo.

J

Exactly - you'd think in this day and age that sort of thing shouldn't matter any more, and as you say, in the vast majority of places (both in the real world and online) fortunately it doesn't seem to happen as much as it did perhaps - it's only the odd troll looking for a fight or an 'easy target' for a joke or otherwise you get from time to time...

The joy of this hobby (and indeed motorcycles, my other passion) is that it is a great leveller, and that ultimately as you suggest - even three-headed monsters ought to be able to contribute to their chosen community and not feel they will be judged or compared.

Jx

For whatever it's worth, my eleven year old daughter loves flying her helicopter, and occasionally tries to fly one of mine.

• Like 2

32 here although I frequently forget what my actual age is as I'm stuck at about 19 

• Haha 2

Yes, and fwiw. the nice thing about a physical hobby - as apposed to a 'virtual' life online which so many kids seem obsessed with these days - is it teaches you important (and what used to be considered fundamentally basic) practical skills, which can in turn relate to any number of others things around the home...

I do spend a lot of time on Social Meeja these days (work related) and I'm always surprised, and I have to say a little disappointed, at some of the rudimentary questions people ask about stuff - the answer which ought to be pretty **** obvious if you ever played with Lego or Meccano, or just took your bicycle apart (to change a puncture etc.) when you were a kid.

It seems even a screwdriver is seen by some people as a mythical tool that you pay a bloke a lot of money to bring round and fix stuff for you, when in reality most things that go together are pretty obvious when you look at them for more than a couple of seconds - ironically of course, in this day and age there is a wealth of 'how to' type videos on YouTube to help you too now, so there really ought not to be any excuse - but ultimately of course there is no substitute to actual practical experience.

That's why RC cars are so great - you can learn this kind of stuff on your lap before you attempt to fix anything you might want to travel on or live in!

Jx

• Like 4

I’m 43. I don’t feel 21 but I can just about remember some of it. There were RC around when I was a kid & it’s why I got back to it & I got my kids driving RC. With lockdown & good weather in the last few weeks I’ve gone through 2 packs a day every day with my kids in the park. They love it! (3 & 4 years of age) 

So yesterday we were driving our cars and a kid came over with a mini drone, we had a chat (at a distance) & he flew his drone around while we drove our cars. Kind of a new meets old but it’s cool type thing, my kid didn’t prefer the drone over the car either. 

6 hours ago, JennyMo said:

At the end of the day, when talking about an subject which is not directly gender specific, it really ought not matter what gender you are

I'm only guessing ,it was my, Facebook data post, that sparked the Gender trajectory? 

The Facebook page's original creator (host? ,whatever they're called)  , doesn't care about gender, and presuming that's why there's a , custom, option. 🤷‍♂️

I only screen shot it for the age ranges! Seeing as though the topic is, Average member age. 🙄😁

I commented on this some time ago and it turns out via Chris' reply that not all the ages shown for members are correct so it is a bit misleading , something to do with reset data or what-not , sorry Chris I have a short attention Sp.... So I won't be 345 next year

49 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

I'm only guessing ,it was my, Facebook data post, that sparked the Gender trajectory? 

The Facebook page's original creator (host? ,whatever they're called)  , doesn't care about gender, and presuming that's why there's a , custom, option. 🤷‍♂️

I only screen shot it for the age ranges! Seeing as though the topic is, Average member age. 🙄😁

No, it was simply in response to Busdriver pointing out that the forum* doesn't appear to list any of the female members, despite there being a few on here... I was just suggesting that it's possible that none of us had ticked the requisite box to make the differentiation?

It was a commentary on social media platforms in general, that's all.

Back to the usual programming...

Jx

*EDIT - ah, I realise that the post you made, which Busdriver quoted, and I subsequently replied to was not about this forum after all, but a Facebook group as you've explained - doh!

My comments still stand with regard to social media platforms in general though, grouping things like age, sex and location together for data harvesting.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Mrowka said:

For whatever it's worth, my eleven year old daughter loves flying her helicopter, and occasionally tries to fly one of mine.

I did have a go with helicopters once. I spent ages, and not a small amount of money building it, but for some reason it wanted to go back to being lots of pieces, which is exactly what happened the very first time i tried to fly it. :(

So, i picked up all the bits and that was that.

So fair play to your daughter.

J

• Sad 1

I can still remember unwraping my christmas present in about 1984 and finding a Tamiya Frog inside, my first rc car... Then i blinked and a whole load of years went past. Where did they all go?

J

• Haha 2