junkmunki

Average member age.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:11 PM, junkmunki said:

Whilst browsing the forums this morning, i noticed the sidebar that mentioned all the members that had birthdays today.

First off, happy birthday guys, have a good day.

I noticed that all the ages seemed to be very close together, within about 5 years of each other, and that they were all late 40s or early 50s. I am in the late 40s club myself, and i was wondering what the average age of the TC members is.

Are we a group who mostly got into rc in the 80s, or do young people and children still get into rc now?

People into rc who have children, obviously pass it onto them and get them involved, but in this time of computor gaming and mobile phones, do kids still get into the hobby of their own interest?

J

I only had toy grade stuff in the 80's, no Tamiya or Kyosho etc for me. A school friend had a Brat, and a LHS stocked Tamiya so it has always been in the back of my mind only to come to fruition a couple of years ago. 

I've tried to get my kids interested in the past with Nitro's but no luck so its just me playing with toy cars. My son is just in his 20's and Tennis mad. Daughter is 18 and loves to play the piano, cook or bake instead, she happens make chocolate Mousses to die for :). Each to there own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Re-Bugged said:

she happens make chocolate Mousses to die for :). Each to there own.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a good chocolate mouse.... Love'em :D

J

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

Hitting the average here, 72 model. 

That was a good vintage year... Same as me.

J

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mrowka said:

I learned to fly helis on a Blade MCX 2. I currently mostly fly 130Xs and other small copters. I've never had a simulator.

When I was a kid, I hardly knew anyone with an r/c helicopter. They were complicated, fiddly, fragile, and didn't really fly all that well, unless you were some kind of super pilot, someone with nerves of steel, the motor skills of a neurosurgeon and the situational awareness of a top athlete. Even then, crashes were inevitable and often spectacular.

Also, the helicopters were expensive. I did some back of the envelope calculations, and I figured that in the mid 1980s it would cost at least $1,500 US to get started with flying helis. And that doesn't include consumables, and further assumes that you didn't crash.

If I had told my parents that I was going to spend $1,500 on a toy helicopter, they would have checked me into rehab because I would have just had to be on something.

Then I was given that little Blade co-axial as a gift. I am not blessed with good reflexes, hand-eye-coordination or situational awareness, but I became obsessed with that little helicopter, coming home from work, charging the one battery I had as soon as I could so I could fly. 

And that little helicopter proved that even I could do it, I could learn to fly.

If can you fly a 130x, you can fly most CPs. Good on you. I had a couple of this learning and they were very fidgety but help w/ learning for sure! I learned on nano's too and then got a SIM later but definitely a SIM sooner rather than later for newbies.

49 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

wow - this topic really went off track!!!

You could say it took off.

I'll get my coat :D

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Peter_B said:

sorry - that went straight over my head - don't get it. :huh:

25 minutes ago, jonboy1 said:

Helicopters...took off

44 minutes ago, Peter_B said:

Helicopters...took off

1 hour ago, jonboy1 said:

1 hour ago, Peter_B said:

straight over my head...................like a helicopter.........................anyone?

I'll get my coat once @Peter_B has got his and left a 2m gap. Then I'll throw my coat at him. :P

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, howaboutme said:

If can you fly a 130x, you can fly most CPs. Good on you. I had a couple of this learning and they were very fidgety but help w/ learning for sure! I learned on nano's too and then got a SIM later but definitely a SIM sooner rather than later for newbies.

I luurve the 130X. I am, like, a 130X fanboy.