Sign in to follow this  
burakol

What a dilemma... Now daughter wants one...

I'm about to place an order for two more kits (and probably last for the year???)... It looks like I am set with getting a G601TR as I want to have a trail/trial rig so my son and I can drive it to more places where his Manta Ray cannot.  I thought about the CC-0X chassis but I'm not really after the scale look and looks like it needs more option parts to really get it going... I initially wanted a Konghead but I found out I can easily re-configure the Dynahead if we wanted to make it a "regular" 6x6 runner.

That being said, now my daughter asked if she can build one... While no father wants to say no to his kid, her choice of car is based on the looks (she wants to paint her car purple BTW) so I am trying to meet her in between what we both "want"... She said she doesn't like any of the comical release and wanted a Manta Ray like her brother, but I told her it is probably best to find something similar, if not different.  

So I took her "window shopping" on Tamiya USA webpage and she pointed to three models... 

1. DF02 Aero Avante 

2. CC01 Amarok

3. Aqroshot

The Aero Avante says OOS so she said her next choice would be the CC01 Amarok if we can't order it. I don't know why but that's what she said... I was trying to convince her to go for the Mf-01X MB cabrio but she dismissed me right away. I'm also not sure about the Aqroshot as a runner/basher. 

She also said that the Dual Ridge looked "pretty and Japanse style" but I am not sure if the TT-02B chassis is a better choice between the DF02 and Aqroshot. I already own a touring car TT-02 and I am not impressed with the steering out of the box. Too much slop/play with the plastic pieces so I am not sure if it is the same with the buggy version... 

So my dilemma is... in which direction should we take? Of all the aforementioned kits, which one should we pick? I do plan of putting ball bearings to whatever we choose... but no other upgrades/hop-ups will be done for now (but do please enumerate what's essential)... 

Sorry for the long post, and I do appreciate your time reading this and providing feedback. 

I re-built my late dad's CC-01 from the 90s last year. Surprisingly after letting my daughter try it for thr first time, she loved it. She said it's so much better than any other phone or playstation games because it's actual and not virtual. So now she uses it more often whenever we go out for RCing. I set it up f or a trail-light crawler. 

Here's the CC-01 build.

• Like 3

I’d say you’re over thinking it honestly (and that’s coming from someone who does the same) 

If she wants an Amorak then I’d go with it.  We see it as an odd choice being enthusiasts but she just sees a pickup truck.  Can’t imagine a subaru brat would have wowed our fathers? IYSWIM

Maybe try and do something creative with the body finish?  Like a homage to an older truck? Bruiser (hog heaven) etc so it makes you feel better about it haha.

Or maybe find an alternative website with stock and try again if it’s a definite non starter.

• Like 3

Just now, Problemchild said:

Depends what you want her to do with it I guess 

JJ

That's the thing... knowing her, her interest level is high since she saw her brother build one... but after some time, it will end up parked in the shelf or I will be the one tinkering with it most of the time... 

3 minutes ago, jameswrx said:

I’d say you’re over thinking it honestly (and that’s coming from someone who does the same) 

If she wants an Amorak then I’d go with it.  We see it as an odd choice being enthusiasts but she just sees a pickup truck.  Can’t imagine a subaru brat would have wowed our fathers? IYSWIM

Maybe try and do something creative with the body finish?  Like a homage to an older truck? Bruiser (hog heaven) etc so it makes you feel better about it haha.

Or maybe find an alternative website with stock and try again if it’s a definite non starter.

Yeah, I see what you mean... she actually said she wanted to put her "clay models and stuff in the Amarok"... but honestly, I woud have preferred the looks of the Hilux or even the Pajero but that's just me...

For this particular order, I am only limited to what shows up on Tamiya USA since I am ordering directly through a distributor who is just helping me out. 

She really prefers the Aero Avante though so I will have to ask my contact if that will ever go back in stock.  Is the steering plop/play on the TT02B the same as in the touring cars, I think we can find a common ground on the Dual Ridge but I just don't like that there is too much play in it... 

4 minutes ago, burakol said:

That's the thing... knowing her, her interest level is high since she saw her brother build one... but after some time, it will end up parked in the shelf or I will be the one tinkering with it most of the time... 

Yeah, I see what you mean... she actually said she wanted to put her "clay models and stuff in the Amarok"... but honestly, I woud have preferred the looks of the Hilux or even the Pajero but that's just me...

For this particular order, I am only limited to what shows up on Tamiya USA since I am ordering directly through a distributor who is just helping me out. 

She really prefers the Aero Avante though so I will have to ask my contact if that will ever go back in stock.  Is the steering plop/play on the TT02B the same as in the touring cars, I think we can find a common ground on the Dual Ridge but I just don't like that there is too much play in it... 

As a playmate for the Manta Ray, the Dual Ridge has a lot going for it. Both being 4WD buggies with spaceship looks gives them a form of kinship, and while both have their flaws and strengths in different areas, overall they are fairly well-matched. The taller ground clearance of the Manta Ray gives it the egde on rough ground, but this is balanced by the greater stability of the lower Dual Ridge on smoother surfaces. Both need a bit of care when choosing power upgrades, the Manta Ray due to its rear gearbox which is prone to cracking if overpowered, the Dual Ridge due to its rear diff which is prone to skipping if overpowered. And in terms of slop, there isn't much difference between the two, with both relying on step screws for the upper suspension arm pivots, both having 5mm ball links on the steering, both using non-ballraced steering racks in stock form which can be swapped out for ballraced ones, etc. If you can live with the slop on a Manta Ray, the Dual Ridge ought not to bother you either.

3 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

As a playmate for the Manta Ray, the Dual Ridge has a lot going for it. Both being 4WD buggies with spaceship looks gives them a form of kinship, and while both have their flaws and strengths in different areas, overall they are fairly well-matched. The taller ground clearance of the Manta Ray gives it the egde on rough ground, but this is balanced by the greater stability of the lower Dual Ridge on smoother surfaces. Both need a bit of care when choosing power upgrades, the Manta Ray due to its rear gearbox which is prone to cracking if overpowered, the Dual Ridge due to its rear diff which is prone to skipping if overpowered. And in terms of slop, there isn't much difference between the two, with both relying on step screws for the upper suspension arm pivots, both having 5mm ball links on the steering, both using non-ballraced steering racks in stock form which can be swapped out for ballraced ones, etc. If you can live with the slop on a Manta Ray, the Dual Ridge ought not to bother you either.

Does the TT02B use the same exact steering design of the TT02 car? How about the DF02, what's your take? 

22 minutes ago, burakol said:

Does the TT02B use the same exact steering design of the TT02 car? How about the DF02, what's your take? 

The TT-02B uses the same steering rack as the TT02 touring car, but connected to the tierods via 5mm metal balls rather than the oversize plastic ones used on the touring car. At the other end of the tierods, you'll find exactly the same uprights, kingpins and C-hubs as used on the DF-02.

Between the DF-02 and TT-02B, there isn't much in it really. Both are low-slung TC-derived buggies with virtually identical performance. The DF-02 comes with sturdy metal diffs but a spindly plastic propshaft, the TT-02B comes with a meatier fibre-reinforced plastic propshaft but vulnerable plastic diffs, so both need drivetrain upgrades if you want to fit a stronger motor. Slop-wise they are much the same, handling-wise they are very similar. The TT-02B has more flex in its shock towers, which are made of a rubbery plastic that is both a blessing and a curse - it is more difficult to break but doesn't do the handling any favours. The DF-02 has stiffer towers, a bit better for handling but also a bit easier to break. However there isn't much in it, and both can be upgraded if it bothers you.

• Thanks 1

What about a WT01 Amarok? If that is still available. Same body (I assume) but a monster truck.

As for the Manta Ray vs TT02B they are very similar lile @TurnipJF says and which is better depends on the terrain. Personally I would go for the Manta Ray as then both kids have the same and they are better on the rougher terrain. You can get different bodies if you want them to look different - i'm sure you could sell the Manta Ray body that comes with it and buy a Top Force or one of the other DF01 bodies from TBG or another company who remakes them.

• Like 1

I’d say the TT02b 

1. it’s a fun but not too complex build

2. loads of spares and hops

3. A number of different shells to suit 

4. 4WD so easy to drive 

5. Tough and can take some bigger wheels 

6. can be turned into a rod car easy too 

JJ

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

However there isn't much in it, and both can be upgraded if it bothers you.

That is really a dilemma... an upgrade dilemma that is... I mean on a price-point and design perspective, getting the CC-01 Amarok may be more practical, plus some window for customization... I know they are totally different platforms so it is no comparison between the buggies mentioned... I've been stuck on this for 3 hours now and it is not good for my mental health... 

I will ask her one final time and whatever she says, I'll just stick with it... whether I like it or not, im sure the upgrade and customization  bug will eventually hit anyway... 

17 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

What about a WT01 Amarok? If that is still available. Same body (I assume) but a monster truck.

Monster truck was a No-No for her... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

She has spoken... 

Aero Avante or the Dual Ridge... 

Whatever look she's going for, only she knows...

Late last year we went to Tokyo... she has not been exposed to any RC kits then, but for some reason when she said she wanted to build one with me last weekend, memories of Japan came back... her thinking is that she wants the car to look uniquely like a "Japanese Car," and I think both the Aero Avante and Dual Ridge gives her that sense... 

• Haha 1

Both good choices - I am guessing that the Dual Ridge will be easier to get? Will there be a build thread?

1 minute ago, TurnipJF said:

Both good choices - I am guessing that the Dual Ridge will be easier to get? Will there be a build thread?

Man... we havent even finished my son's Manta Ray. We have yet to paint it because the weather her in the East Coast is a let down... at least today the sun came out but the temps are still in the 50s... I will try to chronicle it as much as I can... 

I tried to convince her to even consider the ReRe Terra Scorcher and showed her a purple body color... but nope, still Aero or the Dual Ridge.. Of the two, I actually prefer the looks of the Aero Avante... but I have to wait and see if my contact get get it... I might as well order the propeller shaft for it since I don't trust the plastic ones... 

It is settled depending on what my contact can order due to limited stock availability... My daughter and I agreed on the following: 

1. Try to order the Terra Scorcher and paint the body purple.

2. If Terra Scorcher is not available, order the Aero Avante, but still paint the body purple... 

3. If both buggies are not available, get either the Land Freeder or the Amarok, paint the body purple, and find a way to rig her Barbie inside the cabin. 

Aside from the kit for her, I am also placing an order for the Dynahead... Thank you for all your input. I will keep this updated, and eventually start a build thread with her. 

• Like 2

My thought - set a price point, but don't push her too hard into a particular car, if it's not what she really wants.  This risk is she might not see it as her's and not take the same kind of ownership.

Definitely let her build and maintain as much as she can - You might find she's a gearhead!

8 hours ago, Chad1376 said:

My thought - set a price point, but don't push her too hard into a particular car, if it's not what she really wants.  This risk is she might not see it as her's and not take the same kind of ownership.

Definitely let her build and maintain as much as she can - You might find she's a gearhead!

This is they key to success, remembering it is your daughters choice which brings her into your hobby so that you have a shared interest. 

My 3 daughters all had their own Tamiya and it gave us something else we could enjoy together that brought them into something that I really enjoy. 

• Like 1

My daughter is 11, shes been driving her pink metallic tt02b neo scorcher for years and loves it. So do i actually. handles well, fast, 4 wheel drive so it goes on the grass. solid car, no issues.

Thanks for the replies. As if now I'm just waiting for some updates about the timeline if and when the order can be placed... 

We did decide on a Terra Scorcher. I know it's an older design but I think performance wise, it is still at par with the newer entry level buggies. 

It's a good runner, but the front end is very fragile unless you brace or replace the weak plastic A5 part. (Which you may already be planning to do anyway.)

10 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

It's a good runner, but the front end is very fragile unless you brace or replace the weak plastic A5 part. (Which you may already be planning to do anyway.)

Yes, I read about that... I might fabricate my own or try to scour the internet for a part... so fat the only one I saw was from ebay, but the seller is based in UK... does the A5 part have a specific name or term? or a hop-up from other maker?

The part is often sold as a Thundershot A5, and you have a few options. There are alloy ones available from Pargu and the like, there is the steel brace you have found already, and there are also 3D-printed ones in metal and plastic available off Shapeways.

I saw the alloy one but shipped from Korea! 

I may be able to design my own using my own brace either by using the CNC we have in our shop in school I work at, or my 3d printer... Other than those, anything else you think I should be wary about?

26 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

The part is often sold as a Thundershot A5, and you have a few options. There are alloy ones available from Pargu and the like, there is the steel brace you have found already, and there are also 3D-printed ones in metal and plastic available off Shapeways.