Dan_Ox

Racing Fighter DT03 Build - REAR TYRE UPGRADE - Updated 29/6/20

Looking really good mate cant wait to see a running vid clip 👍

• Like 1

Both motors are up and running perfectly! Very happy! Gave them there first shake down today before the rain.

No issues that i wasnt already expecting.... eg that the ESC would go Thermal using the 19T Trinity Colbalt. But i got couple min running before it did and its quickkkkk!!! I might advance the timing a little bit also. But first i need to get a 1060 esc to run it properly.

The Trinity Midnight worked really well. pleased with both results of rebuilds.

I'm not entirely sure until i do a direct comparison if the Midnight is quicker than the Torque Tuned the car came with, so gonna do that comparison next. I feel there about similar. Prob both better suited to the 17t pinion, where as the Colbalt defo suits the 19t pinion thats fitted at the moment.

Heres a very rubbish couple of vids. I was too excited to run the motors than faff with the camera, so the angle is terrible, again...will sort for next time haha.

But give you an idea.

Rainy Day = Tinkering Day.

Now we all know the CVA shocks are NOT the best, and recently i had noticed the rear end seems to be smacking the floor more than when they were new, and also noticed one was weeping slightly....

so decided it was time to rebuild and do a little upgrade i saw another member do.

I stripped the stocks down and cleaned them out and i replaced the standard Black rubber o-rings with the Red o-rings. They seem to be a better seal around the damper shaft, and once rebuilt with the upgraded Hard Blue springs i'd already fitted, there now working better than when i first built them.

I also bought another couple of X-part trees so i could add another pair of the bigger spring spacers for the back. And now the combination of the upgraded o-rings, bigger spacers and harder springs the rear dampers have vastly better damperning and rebound. Obviously no where near as good as say DF03 alloy dampers, but i feel as good as CVA dampers are gonna get.

IMG_4404.thumb.jpg.354cf6ee40e22072600c399b352dfed8.jpg

IMG_4406.thumb.jpg.5ad33eb519fe7c2f0ecd320a93099198.jpg

Coming next is a ESC upgrade so i can run my 19T Trinity Colbalt properly.

• Like 1

UPDATE

After having bought and refurbished two older Trinity Brushed Motors, and having ran them both breifly, i'd confirmed i wanted to fit the mighty 19T Trinity Colbalt full time, but being 19T meant the stardard Tamiya TBLE02 esc after a couple of mins went thermal (as was expected). SO....i've upgraded to the very well established HobbyWing 1060.

After having removed the old Tamiya ESC and had a bit of a clean up. I then re-fitted the Colbalt, and changed over the battery terminals on the 1060 to the deans plugs i now run. Once complete, i finished my tidy little install.

Looking forward to the good weather next week, when i'll actually have some time to do a shake down and see how she performs! Very excited, as she was a rocket for the few mins she ran with the TBLE02, and i've now advanced the timing a tad on the motor also.

Think i'll get one more run out of those rear tyres, then gonna buy and fit some schumacher tarmac tyres.

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_4443.jpg

IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

• Like 2

UPDATE.

Well i took the Racing Fighter for a shake down after having re-built the rear suspension and fitted the 1060 ESC, and i couldnt be happier.

The Hobbywing 1060 worked faultlessly with my 19T Trinity Colbalt Brushed motor, which i've also pumped the timing up a fair bit to. Ran for about 15-20 mins until the battery had come to an end. No over heating or anything. VERY pleased. Highly recommend over the standard TAmiya TBLE02 if your changing motors from standard.

I've took so SUPER rubbish video clips to share with you. But because the max file size you can share on here is 4.8mb!?!?! Its like 1 tiny vid per post. And no i dont have a youtube account lol. Anyways, take a ganders and let me know what you think! :wub:..... I'm happy! 

For reference this is ran on a 3000mah Ni-Mh battery.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:49 PM, ChrisRx718 said:

3S LiPo next :D

It's both addictive and terrifying. Like adding 50% more power at once.

Haha!! I've decided thats enough money spent on this one....other than some new tyres i've just bought lol... And next its time to buy a 4wd buggy and probably go more contempory electrics wise.......eg Brushless + Lipo:P

UPDATE.

Just a little update. As i manly just bash this around carparks and mainly on Tarmac/Concrete, i naturally went through the standard rear tyres in no time.

So i figured i'd get some more suitable ''road'' style tires.

These are Schumacher Venom buggy size tires, in Silver compound. They defo need gluing of which i havent got any at the moment so have ordered some, but gave the car a quick blast up and down the road and im VERY happy!!! WAYYYYYYYYY more grip. Looking forward to getting them glued so i can corner haha.

IMG_4641.thumb.jpg.7a8267616753f9dad4e2d82c7d661127.jpg

IMG_4640.thumb.jpg.71ba0b6c9b82ad2e7518bb9efd7f9174.jpg

IMG_4643.thumb.jpg.1799344b8519d45f399587cd0814a47f.jpg

• Like 3

Ah someone who has purchased the Venom's, did you go for the foam inserts out of interest?  Like what you have done with the DT-03, mine is still trying to get running as just coming back into the game.  Trying to work out what colour to do the shell in :unsure:, you did a cracking job with yours BTW. 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 10:16 AM, Gibbo78 said:

Ah someone who has purchased the Venom's, did you go for the foam inserts out of interest?  Like what you have done with the DT-03, mine is still trying to get running as just coming back into the game.  Trying to work out what colour to do the shell in :unsure:, you did a cracking job with yours BTW. 

Nope didnt go for inserts. Seems to be working fine without them. They are pretty soft and squishy, but i'll see how they wear. Then see if next time i'll get some.

Ah cheers, yep i'm really pleased with it! Thats me done with this one now in regards to upgrades. Just enjoying it as a basher. Building a proper Comp Race 4wd buggy now, but this means its not a Tamiya, so can't post on this forum really.

Ah cheers, Yeh go for something different! Make sure you buy Tamiya paint its the best. But get creative! Let me know if you need any advice.

Really enjoyed following this build I am also building a Neo DT03 up ....with a mixture of Hop Ups much to my wife's displeasure 😟....done front carbon shock tower ....not ordered rear yet 😳 ...gotta say the standard wheels look 'pants' so my next move is defo a wheel/tyre set up going for the Carson 2wd in black.the standard front 'ribs' are dire 😟 anybody know of a better looking front Rib tyre ?

On 7/5/2020 at 9:32 PM, Dan_Ox said:

Nope didnt go for inserts. Seems to be working fine without them. They are pretty soft and squishy, but i'll see how they wear. Then see if next time i'll get some.

Ah cheers, yep i'm really pleased with it! Thats me done with this one now in regards to upgrades. Just enjoying it as a basher. Building a proper Comp Race 4wd buggy now, but this means its not a Tamiya, so can't post on this forum really.

Ah cheers, Yeh go for something different! Make sure you buy Tamiya paint its the best. But get creative! Let me know if you need any advice.

I don't really dig some of decals and the one on the wing just doesn't do it like a classic such as..... 'Anytime Baby'.......:lol:

3 hours ago, Bennett Ironman said:

Really enjoyed following this build I am also building a Neo DT03 up ....with a mixture of Hop Ups much to my wife's displeasure 😟....done front carbon shock tower ....not ordered rear yet 😳 ...gotta say the standard wheels look 'pants' so my next move is defo a wheel/tyre set up going for the Carson 2wd in black.the standard front 'ribs' are dire 😟 anybody know of a better looking front Rib tyre ?

I am going with the other rib which to keep with the original fit wheels.  What Carson 2wd set are you looking at?  

Hop-ups are what half the fun is about..... trying to draw the line is the tough bit!

5 hours ago, Bennett Ironman said:

Ahh cheers. its been a fun build which has kept me entertrained through lockdown!

I've started another but..its not Tamiya so can't post here, but its to actually go racing with haha.

The standard front tyres on the racing fighter are shocking, the ones on the Neo are the ones i changed to! As they have much bigger contact patch, and i find them great on tarmac. The whole DT03 chassis is pretty understeer happy. Even with all the chassis hopups i've done, i've managed to dial it out abit, but the chassis and weight distribution mean it'll pretty much always understeer....on tarmac/concrete anyway. Rib tyres all look the same tbh. If you dont want rib go for some Mini Spike or pins on the front.

12 hours ago, Gibbo78 said:

I don't really dig some of decals and the one on the wing just doesn't do it like a classic such as..... 'Anytime Baby'.......:lol:

I am going with the other rib which to keep with the original fit wheels.  What Carson 2wd set are you looking at?  

Hop-ups are what half the fun is about..... trying to draw the line is the tough bit!

Thinking of these or black Dish Rims 

Carson-900027-All-Terrain-Tyre-Set-for-2WD.jpg