Seacow

Hello New Member

Hi everyone - just joined after finding this forum recently and waiting for DPD to deliver my new Hornet kit in half an hour!  Will post on postman brought me thread later.

As a kick my neighbours had a Tamiya Dune Buggy and a Ford Ranger but sadly Santa could never afford to bring me. I recently dusted off a mustang radioshack model i bought in Texas 12 years ago when I lived there and suspect like many other started thinking about a kit to help occupy during lockdown and my daughters are keen too.

I went for the Hornet as near the house we have some car parks that are empty just now but even more fun a field with bike track that i think will be ideal. I bought a bundle kit from Wonderland models as they seem to have good availability and if i ever get out of lockdown they are near my office in Edinburgh so I can pop in for future purchases!

Black PS paint was on back order for another week or 2  so I am going to use some spare car paint and primer I have - have heard mixed results but will see - I am getting the real paint and a spare shell so I can do it properly and have a spare shell.

No idea how long the build will take but pretty excited!  Suspect will end up buying more once I get bitten by the bug - fancy a rally car and nearly bought a second hand scooby but fancy doing the builds but still trawling ebay too!

Will post updates and sure I may have questions - not sure Hornet was best first attempt but soon find out!

• Like 2

Hornet a great first choice!

BUT I'd recommend waiting for the ps paint, it's flexible for the shell, non lexan paint will crack and fall off, just run it unpainted until it arrives!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, taffer said:

BUT I'd recommend waiting for the ps paint, it's flexible for the shell, non lexan paint will crack and fall off, just run it unpainted until it arrives!

Thanks Taffer - I was thinking that but not sure I can bring myself to run unpainted!  And I fancy having a spare shell but take your point if its just going to fall off but had read some folk used auto paints ok.  Spare shell isn’t a lot of money...

1 hour ago, Novamadcars said:

Auto paints are good on hard plastic body’s.

Ahh - and assume the clear shells aren’t hard body - sorry for daft lad newbie questions!

This may be an opportunity to try an alternative colour scheme?

If PS-5 is on backorder, maybe choose an alternative colour of proper PS paint that is in stock, and use that for your runner shell? Keep the decals for your boxart black display shell, and have some fun decorating your runner shell with whatever you please!

Tamiya and other manufacturers come up with some great colour schemes and decal arrangements for their boxart, but they aren't the only ones that can look good on a model, as ably demonstrated by @Ferruz:

20200427-184731.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Seacow said:

Ahh - and assume the clear shells aren’t hard body - sorry for daft lad newbie questions! No questions are daft fella there’s always someone on here to answer no matter how daft you think it is. And no  clear body’s are lexan. 

6 hours ago, taffer said:

Totally agree with the above. The Hornet is a perfect first choice: easy to build, durable, and TONS of fun! It will also make you lust for more technical and sophisticated models, and that's when the bug really bites...

But yes, do wait for the right paint for the shell.

4 hours ago, Seacow said:

Ahh - and assume the clear shells aren’t hard body - sorry for daft lad newbie questions!

Clear shells are made of polycarbonate plastic (or Lexan) and need to be painted with polycarbonate paint, so when you take a hit and the body flexes it won't chip off. I too have heard of successful attempts with alternative paints not made for lexan, but I wouldn't take the chance. If you are planning on using your car, which you are, the wait will be worth the result. Even if you get a second body shell (which I think is a good idea), I say do them justice and use the right paint 😉

I too started back into RC with a Hornet... man you are in for a lot of fun. You are in the right place for whatever advice you'll need, this is a really kind and welcoming community.

Enjoy the build!

Taken the advice and waiting for proper paint this week.  Build finished today and run without paint and love it - as does daughter number 1.  If a fit of fat fingering I have bought a lot of ebay with a stadium thunder - ironic as I wanted something to build so will maybe strip and rebuild or buy yet another!  It’s started!!

The Hornet was my second ever Tamiya over 30 years ago and it was great, when i look back boy did it take a beating.

Deffo wait for the right paint.

Tamiya PS fantastic paint.