Sign in to follow this  
Wetman

Transmitter/handset Batteries

Whats everyones choice on these? I have at the minute two four bed basic Energizer chargers which i`ve had kicking about for years with cheapmake inc AA`s courtesy of work stores but we have stopped stocking such "luxury" items due to cuts and gone back to evencheaper Inc single use ones,so what does everyone else use and has anyone got any 8 bed chargers they would recommend? I`m currently using an Absima sr2s radio if thats any help.

Mods not sure if this is the right forum please move if required

Does that handset have a JR plug that plugs into the AA battery pack? If that makes sense. Mine can run AA but also can have an optional lipo or life battery which is far better. Its so easy having a battery which lasts a few months and then just goes on the normal charger than needing AA batteries.

If it doesn't give the spec you could work it out, just find a battery with the right voltage and shape

• Like 2

Yep, like Jonathon said, I took out the battery trays and soldered JST connectors.  Now, I can use 11.1v LiPo on old AM radios as well as Flysky GT3B ("B" version uses 8 batteries, while "C" version is more efficient, using 4 batteries).  

A1T2hYs.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Yep, like Jonathon said, I took out the battery trays and soldered JST connectors.  Now, I can use 11.1v LiPo on old AM radios as well as Flysky GT3B ("B" version uses 8 batteries, while "C" version is more efficient, using 4 batteries).  

A1T2hYs.jpg

Mines the stick version and I`m not sure how easy it is to remove the tray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

@Juggular is much cleverer than me. I would buy a new handset that takes a lipo!

I would say it's smarter to buy a handset that takes a lipo.  It would be silly to buy something that didn't take LiPo in 2020.  

Some of the stick transmitters had trays, some didn't.  

9A9MsQ3.jpg

Just so you know, I'm using a Flysky.  Not these old radios. 

I just converted them so I could use them in Zombie Apocalypse.  I'll distribute several radios to our neighbors, so we could all control a robot each, to fight zombies.  You never know. Now that we are in a pandemic, zombie apocalypse could be next.   

p8EsHca.jpg

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Juggular said:

I just converted them so I could use them in Zombie Apocalypse.  I'll distribute several radios to our neighbors, so we could all control a robot each, to fight zombies.  You never know. Now that we are in a pandemic, zombie apocalypse could be next.   

p8EsHca.jpg

Ax's Anecdote

A month ago I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up some meds.  I had to wait outside with all the other sick people due to restrictions in the store.  The pharmacist came out to take my name, wearing rubber gloves, a spit visor and surgical mask.  He said it would take 30 mins or so to make up my order, so I agreed to wait in the sunshine.

Five minutes later he clocked off for a smoke break and came and sat in the sun near me.  (Not that near me.  Social distancing, and all that).  He was no longer wearing his gloves, mask or visor, but he was leaning against the same fence that us sick people had been leaning against.  (In fairness my illness isn't contagious, but I can't speak for anyone else's).

I told him I was disappointed with this apocalypse.  I always expected the world to end with a bang, and not a fizz.

He told me he wanted zombies.

Give it time, I told him.  A few weeks with the nation's youth playing videogames on lockdown and you'll have your zombies.

I wasn't wrong.  I have almost become one myself.

I'm still disappointed tho, I wanted V8 engines and endless wasteland and road warriors attacking armoured fortress big rigs...

• Haha 2

I'd wear an armor.  

nr3I0my.jpg

I always wondered why people in the movies don't wear leather boots and gloves.  I mean, arms and legs are "bite size," so you'd think people would wrap extra stuff on their ankles, wrists, necks, etc.  

Sadly, though, Zombies are happening in real life, but in a different manner.  Incidentally it starts with "Z" too.  

Zika virus from mosquitoes stops brain from developing.  Babies are born basically without functioning brain.  As the climate gets warmer, the tropical mosquitoes are coming up to the states too.  It's scary stuff.   

CobgIx9.jpg

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-35368401 

Anyway, I've been trying to paint shells...

While I'm stuck, I might as well use the time to paint S800 shell intended for M05.  

mXm83kE.jpg

1z6tMCS.jpg

But it's been raining almost everyday.  It might clear this weekend, but now it's the pollen season...

Instead of prepping the body for paint, I connected my old Playstation2 to an ancient TV from 1992.  I didn't realize how horrible the 480 resolution is...  even so, I would have played games for hours.  But I lost the memory card, so I couldn't save anything.  What I had was a 8MB card. I ordered a 128MB card.  That also made me realize how old I've become.  

I was sure that I'd have problems because all contact points became this cruddy after 7 years.  

M9Jy7Ix.jpg

But not after a squirt of "DeOxIT."  The display port for my computer wasn't making a good connection, this solved that problem also.   

GoVjOZ8.jpg

That got me thinking...

If somebody's using a mechanical speed controller, you could have a spotty connection. "DeOxIT" could help, even on battery contacts of transmitters.  (phew, I barely managed to stay on topic ;))  

TDImHfj.jpg

G6cx15P.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/30/2020 at 11:50 PM, Juggular said:

I would say it's smarter to buy a handset that takes a lipo.  It would be silly to buy something that didn't take LiPo in 2020.  

Some of the stick transmitters had trays, some didn't.  

Just so you know, I'm using a Flysky.  Not these old radios. 

FlySky here too. The FS-GT3c is only 45 quid and you can flash the firmware to get a load more channels and funtionality out of it.