Sign in to follow this  
DDA1972

Bought a TT-02B and have a few questions

Hi,

I started in the 80's with a Hornet, bought 15 years ago a TLT-1 RockBuster (that I still have) and my son (11) recently got a Neo Fighter. The Rockbuster is still fine, but a little bit too special to bash around, so I bought a TT-02B Plasma Edge II.

I have the ballbearings ordered and a brushless combo from Hobbywing (3300 kv) available.

I'm still looking for some decent street tires/wheels and found the Louise E-ROCKET. They look nice and they have an outside diameter of 85 mm. The OEM-tires are without the spikes about 78 mm. That would mean that I have a little bit more ground clearance. But what is a good pinion? I have a 20T available, but I think that would be a little bit too fast. And are there other things I should look for when choosing a pinion? Like alu of metal and size of the teeth?

Any advice about other upgrades?

Thanks for the replies!

To handle any sort of real power and/or jumps, the TT-02B needs a better rear diff, either the GPM or DF-02 metal ones, as the stock plastic ring gear and input gear skip and self-destruct under heavy loads.

The pinion is a 0.6 module item, steel recommended.

A metal motor mount isn't a bad idea for greater stability and cooling, but isn't essential.

The alloy spur adapter also isn't a bad idea as it gives you a greater range of gearing options, especially if combined with a slotted metal motor mount such as the Yeah Racing one.

Other than that, you're good to go!

(I added an alloy propshaft, alloy ballraced steering rack, alloy clamping hexes, carbon battery strap and steel turnbuckles to mine too, but while nice to have, I wouldn't call them essential.)

Thanks all. Because I'll probably use from the start the E-Rocket wheels with a slightly larger diameter, I'll try first the stock 17T pinion. From there, I'll try 18T or 19T. I don't think the 20T is a good idea.

Forgot to mention: I'll allready have the Tamiya metal motor mount.

Do you have some links or partnumbers for the better rear diff? I think I read somewhere the DF-02 needs some modding to fit?

Today I was with my wife and kids at this very special place: https://www.google.nl/maps/@51.9226461,3.9892903,3a,75y,258.31h,82.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbC9TS_7rDKdafa7fB_RroA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

We took the RC cars and had a blast in the dunes and on the parkinglots. Can't wait to finish the TT-02B. Only problem is that I still don't have the ballbearings; I found them on Ebay, but they seem stuck between Japan and the Netherlands. Penny-wise, Pound-foolish in hindsight I guess...

Update: car goes like badword with a 19t pinion, a 4000 mah 2S Zippy lipo and the E-Rocket wheels. I clocked 50 km/hr. Very pleased with the car. Savox servo is a good choise; way better than the cheap Carson in my son's Neo Fighter.

Still waiting for the metal parts for the rear diff...

Since I have a question and the OP would probably benefit from the answer, here it goes:

I have a TT02B that I recently finished and set up with brushless power (2600kv). I've also monsterized it by adding 12cm OD wheels for ground clearance (and speed). It's absolutely great, and quite fast, but I do get the dreaded clicking from the gearset, which I imagine is either the pinion/spur, output ring gear, or inside the diff. My question is, how will replacing these gears with metal counterparts get rid of the clicking? From what I can deduce, the clicking is due to the gear teeth slipping due to some flex in the gear housing, which will remain plastic after upgrading everything right?

What am I missing?

(First post by the way, big fan of Tamiya since 1993. Had a Hornet and a heavily modded Manta Ray back then, and just got back into the hobby)

Cheers,

I have the clicking too. It's almost for sure the reardiff. I have parts ordered to fix that issue.

I have zero clicking and my TT02b will pull wheelies 

check your pinion is meshing properly with the other cog

the plastic teeth can wear down and thus slip 

the issue you describe is that of the monster beetle 

the diff housing is not going to flex on the TT02b

its easy enough to take a look at the pinion 

JJ

• Thanks 1

Had the clicking on mine after about 12 months of running a Super Stock RZ. Did the DF02 diff swap, its had a couple of hotter motors in since. Never had any problem with them since. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DeadMeat666 said:

Since I have a question and the OP would probably benefit from the answer, here it goes:

I have a TT02B that I recently finished and set up with brushless power (2600kv). I've also monsterized it by adding 12cm OD wheels for ground clearance (and speed). It's absolutely great, and quite fast, but I do get the dreaded clicking from the gearset, which I imagine is either the pinion/spur, output ring gear, or inside the diff. My question is, how will replacing these gears with metal counterparts get rid of the clicking? From what I can deduce, the clicking is due to the gear teeth slipping due to some flex in the gear housing, which will remain plastic after upgrading everything right?

What am I missing?

(First post by the way, big fan of Tamiya since 1993. Had a Hornet and a heavily modded Manta Ray back then, and just got back into the hobby)

Cheers,

Quick answer:

The clicking/skipping is caused by the plastic ring gear flexing away from the input gear under load. The metal one resists flexing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2020 at 12:21 AM, Problemchild said:

I have zero clicking and my TT02b will pull wheelies 

check your pinion is meshing properly with the other cog

the plastic teeth can wear down and thus slip 

the issue you describe is that of the monster beetle 

the diff housing is not going to flex on the TT02b

its easy enough to take a look at the pinion 

JJ

Hi Problemchild,

Yep; I meant the bevel pinion gear thats skipping over the ring gear. I allready ordered the parts to fix that.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:50 PM, Problemchild said:

Just follow my info here 

easy peasy 

JJ

Sorry I think I am being a bit thick here... is it just the DF02 parts bag A we need to buy? You mention something else but the link is now dead...

You need the white casing too 

I just added it to my project thread - I’ll dig it out 

JJ

1 hour ago, Problemchild said:

Part numbers are here 

JJ

Cheers!

WHat were the shocks you used? I have been holding off on the TT02 (separate post on that in a min) due to general uselessness at actual off road, but sorting the ground clearance and putting a light brushless in it would mostly solve it I reckon... (i'm not racing it)