Sign in to follow this  
Chad1376

Need ideas for DIY traffic cones

So one of my non-quarantine hobbies is Autocross.  While I'm waiting for my new RC chassis to arrive, I want to build some DIY traffic cones so I can set up a small scale autocross course for the car.  I've seen some 1:10 scale cones for sale, but they're overpriced, and not really what I want.

Criteria:

• They need to be cheap and simple to make, I want 30-40 or more.
  • They don't need to be completely realistic and to scale - "kind of like" a cone is good enough.
  • Enough weight on the bottom so a breeze doesn't blow them across the parking lot.
  • Pliable/bendable/crushable on top, so they don't damage the car.
  • Bonus points if they are stackable/nestable, so I don't need to keep them in a big box.

Throw me your crazy ideas - I have a few of my own too.

i-TbvsmXs-M.jpg

i-GBrwLxp-M.jpg

Cardboard / packaging plastic? Or would they be too light?

15 minutes ago, AshRC said:

Cardboard / packaging plastic? Or would they be too light?

I thought about cardboard, or fun-foam, but it sounds like a lot of cutting, taping etc.

I was just in the kitchen getting coffee, and saw my wife's big bag of Netspresso pods to be recycled.  There's potential here.  I think they'll still need some weight on the bottom though.  Maybe a large diameter fender washer that slips over the top, but won't go past the lip would do the trick..Hmmm.

i-5kpt2bd-M.jpg

I use small football practice cones to mark out garden tracks. They are a bit large to be properly scale, but they are practical and cheap.

153 Nespresso pods, cleaned and ready for orange paint.  I think they might work OK without any additional weight, as long as it's not too windy out.  They nest into a single stack about 8" long and will fit in the toolbox.  I think the scale is pretty good too.

i-Fz9jxgc-XL.jpg

• Like 1

Something quick and easy I use are soccer practice cones:

https://www.amazon.com/slp/cones-for-soccer-practice/qmn8p6m9edg93kw

Either the low-profile or the 7" cones work fine.  The low-profile ones make it easy to see the car go around the corner, but the 7" cones are a little more forgiving if you cut a turn too tightly (they'll just bounce after the car impacts them whereas the low-profile cones could flip the car depending on how severe the collision is).

• Thanks 1

Not at all to scale but really good are 0.5Litre plastic coke bottles. Put a little water in the bottom and they are heavy enough not to blow away or fly miles when you hit them, but light enough not to damage a car. Used these to great effect years ago for setting out a basic course

We mark crawler courses with tennis balls cut in half. We put a chalk mark under each in case they get moved. Obviously, they won't hurt the cars, and they stay in place if you don't hit them.

Small plow discs work really well, too. They can flip the cars if you hit them, but they won't move or damage things.

Real road cones are easy and cheap to get. They just leave those things everywhere!

On 5/1/2020 at 9:03 PM, Chad1376 said:

153 Nespresso pods, cleaned and ready for orange paint.  I think they might work OK without any additional weight, as long as it's not too windy out.  They nest into a single stack about 8" long and will fit in the toolbox.  I think the scale is pretty good too.

i-Fz9jxgc-XL.jpg

Quick easy weight may be to fill with sand and duct tape to seal...thinking out loud

oops - I almost forgot about my own topic :blink:

I really like the ideas here.  The 1/2 tennis balls are my favorite - I could even get orange balls.  There is one fatal flaw. My dogs live-and-die by the tennis ball.  If I were to buy a bag, cut them in half, and not throw them, it would cause doggie PTSD.:lol:

I got my car running, and the pods painted orange.  I haven't tried them yet for two reasons: 1) It's been very windy the last few days.  2) I need to sharpen my driving skills more before setting up a complex course.  I've been practicing slalom on the tips of parking stripes, but need more "seat time."

There's a few other local Autocrossers that have RC cars too.  Maybe this weekend I'll organize a small race.  It'll be tough to create a course that suits the varied types of vehicles that everyone has though.  I'll post up some pictures if I get something cool set up.

i-D3kCf84-L.jpg

• Like 2

A quick edit with some "on-car" video.  The car really boots the cones when it whacks them.

That run was with a 17.5 turn motor.  I tried out my new 9.5 turn today.  It lays "11's" until I run out of parking lot.  Here's my poor tires after 1-battery.  :o

i-2MxjW7n-L.jpg

Aye, that'll happen. With mine I found that anything faster than 13.5t doesn't really increase usable performance, but it certainly accelerates tyre wear!

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:58 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

Something quick and easy I use are soccer practice cones:

https://www.amazon.com/slp/cones-for-soccer-practice/qmn8p6m9edg93kw

Either the low-profile or the 7" cones work fine.  The low-profile ones make it easy to see the car go around the corner, but the 7" cones are a little more forgiving if you cut a turn too tightly (they'll just bounce after the car impacts them whereas the low-profile cones could flip the car depending on how severe the collision is).

I used these and cut out the middle with a hobby knife. Turned 50 cones into 100. The small size is perfect for the smaller scale cars like the RC28 pictured. The added benefit on the larger cones is that with the middle removed, it’s much more forgiving and won’t cause the 1/10 cars to flip. Win-win!

BF1F4402-F117-49F0-8278-93CA1BCFE67A.jpeg

• Like 2