Collin

Mid-Storm, just another Dyna.

I am struggeling a bit with the position of the battery. I pretty want them like the TRF201.

DSC_7510.jpg

But I need the upper deck for stability and with my presend layout the connectors will be under the deck and also it is 25mm between cassis and upper deck. Also the LiPo is 25mm or 25.1mm high.
No I have the idear to make the upper deck in two parts. One from the bulkhead to the first columns behind the sevo. The second part will only be a link between them and the new coming rear bulkhead. it will also keep the battery in position.

I dont have any better idears by now. We´ll see.

• Like 1

@Collin How about a shorty lipo across the car. That's the way all modern mid motor buggies are configured.

Here is my modified TRF211 

Tamiya TRF211 3 GEAR LAYBACK. Using FF03R motor plate and cover, CTE RC transmission cases

Here is a yokomo yz2 cal3

YokomoYZ2DTM3CAL3.jpg

@ThunderDragonCyThe only idear was to get more weight to to the center and to the front. In fact thats the only reason to use those double packs. But its also as @ruebiracer saied, it will be really tight with connectors under the DS shell.It's only app. 20mm clearance there. Its only app. 20mm clearence there.

Endresult of today. A propper sketch of the chassis, battery tray for shorty. All tight but I leave it for now. With shorty I can stay with the single upper deck and battery clamp as I did it for the other conversions (Blaster and Storm).

So far I think the shorty packs are the better choice. Did LiPo cells became so good in the last two years? Seems like the shorty have the same capacity and C factor than my old ones which where 4cm longer.

• Like 3

Looks good! Shorties seem pretty good to me. I have a turnigy 4600mah graphene pack which is 100c, serious punch. With all 2wd buggy firms moving to shorty only its meant some battery development. I race mine in my touring car though too. Trend in touring cars is a light, slim, full length pack in very high mah rating to reduce voktage drop off because most cars are quite underweight these days, but i use my shorties to move weight around and save weight in tub chassis TCs and also because its my highest C rated battery. 

• Like 2

Sounds all good to me then. I will go this way then. Also I think I will keep the wheelbase as DS was, dont know why. Or do anyone gives me some pros and cons about doing it longer whider? My first idear was to do that extedet wheelbase becasue of battery space and also because of reminiscense to Dyna Storm racers, which where modified with Blaster tub chassis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Collin said:

Sounds all good to me then. I will go this way then. Also I think I will keep the wheelbase as DS was, dont know why. Or do anyone gives me some pros and cons about doing it longer whider? My first idear was to do that extedet wheelbase becasue of battery space and also because of reminiscense to Dyna Storm racers, which where modified with Blaster tub chassis.

Don't know the Dynastorm wheelbase, but everyone always goes on about how good the TRF201 rear motor was with the +8mm conversion, which would make a 280mm wheelbase. My TRF211 is 285mm. Can't imagine anything in that range is going to be bad.

DS:
Wheelbase:            265 mm
Tread/track front:  219 mm
Tread/track rear:   207 mm

TRF201:
Wheelbase:            272 mm
Tread/track front: 249 mm
Tread/track rear:   244 mm

I would just really like to know what Dyna Lightning (Nimrod) has. @joe999 Maybe you can say anything about it?

Still not shure. Standard DS is huge fun to drive. Cornering like a Rabbit. So what shall I do? If it will become even better its not bad, I can make the chassis longer and I have Dyna Blaster arms and CVDs gallore.

I will leave it for now to think what I want. Recommendations welcome : )

• Like 2

At least the rear bulkhead can be made yet. Everything prepaired now, lets start.

mid_ds_011.jpg

• Like 1

Just an idear. Its basicly the part for the Dyna Blaster which mounts sway-bar and damper stay together. I am not happy with distances between drills/drills and drills/edges, But I am to tired for today.

mid_ds_012.jpg

Nice overlaps, generates more stiffness.
mid_ds_013.jpg

What is just amazing, how fusion 360 developed in the last year. I probably use 10% of what it is able to do but within this there is so much progress.

• Like 1

So this is the first idear of the connector. I am not shure, it might could be more stylish but it does what it does. Maybe I squeese the ESC in here, but older one are too big, newer ones does fit in. I leave it for now and going back to the battery clamp and chassis.
I think if I decide to go the DS chassis way, its already done.  Still no idear. : /

Good night for now.

mid_ds_014.jpg

• Like 4

A week is gone now and I take it with no hurry. Plenty of time since that virus stopped my regular work. So what happened? Well,... not much bot a lot. : D
I prepaired all 2D drawings for prototype lasercut out of cardboard. Going to visit my laser-dude with croissant and coffee the next days. Always a good chat and snack while laser is doing the work.

Also I ordered high strenght aluminum for the motorplate, it comes from a guy supporting my projects, he works in a small factory producing airplane parts.

Finally today I took a large zip-bag and started going through my spareparts. I have plenty of parts but still needed a lot of small bits here and there like turnbuckles and shafts or some 6mm ballends. It starts to become pretty hard even to find some standard parts. Seidel and Tamico provide a LOT of parts but even they run out of some standard parts : (

At the end I bought from both of them, another nice guy in Italy (thanks Luca!), that vintage-kyosho dude from UK and Penguin shell. Not mentioned ball bearings from a local distributor. At the end it was around 270€ just for parts I did not had and some I basics to fill my own sparebox (okay, also included a set of Hicaps and a pair of original DS universals :) ). But at the end of the day its not that much to pay 250€ for a nice but used Dyna Storm in compare to buy half of it in parts. I still have one original release unrestored DS but I didntwanted to slaughter it for my project.

So lets wait for some sendings from all around Europe.

• Like 2

Great Tom, seems you have dude for everything. Aircraft aluminum, really jealous.:D

I purchased an original universal 3 months ago, too, as on my original Dyna Storm they are quite done now. dogbone pins I changed already in the 90´s, but the cardan was now the problem. Good luck for the next steps, I´m quite curious about the next steps!

Kind regards,

Matthias

4 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Great Tom, seems you have dude for everything. Aircraft aluminum, really jealous.:D

I purchased an original universal 3 months ago, too, as on my original Dyna Storm they are quite done now. dogbone pins I changed already in the 90´s, but the cardan was now the problem. Good luck for the next steps, I´m quite curious about the next steps!

Kind regards,

Matthias

Thats the only way how I can afford this projects. I also help other people a lot with my knowledge and abilities. @bjorklo His Dyna Lightning project for exsample. It pushed me to create the airscoope (and gain fusion360 skills) and we both are more than happy with the result. If you just ask a professional to draw such a part it would probably cost more then two NIB Dyna Storms.

So I visited my Laser-Dude with a breakfast and whe had a nice coffee-chat while the cutter did his job.
mid_ds_015.jpg

About the Universals. I was just texting with a guy who asked me for new ones becaus his Dyna is eating them. I am a bit curious because my TR-15T still had the original ones for long time and there are just little signes of wear. Also the material and quality of DS and DB universals looks so good to me. I think even with brushless motor they will last very long. But I am not too much drive experienced.

Going to screw this prototype together now : )

• Like 3

On the rotation direction. My mid-TR-15T has the reversed / mid gearbox config and I can confirm it works fine.

• Like 1

I am so excited! It will be such a cool Dyna Storm, yeyeyeyeee! But have a look.
The shell need to be cutted just a little bit and the Gearbox-cover needs a little re-design. @Ann3x Probably we can team up again, as you already have it designed?

About the electrics, the ESC will fit between the new connector parts but also at the left side on the chassis. Well, thats it, I cannot say anything except that I am totaly surprised how perfect everything fits together.
 Ah yes, about my first doubts about chassis lenght, wheelbase and track. I got a very helpfull advice form the master itself @Origineelreclamebord . It helped me so much to see a bit more clear where to go. I will keep the way going vintage racing and not creating a new dog in an old fur :D . That was my biggest problem so far. Its not worth to take a Dyna transforming into a brandnew thing. Better keeping it what it is but more reliable. Thanks also to @ruebiracer who made me clearly thinking about what I want (even if you did not mentioned. ;)

Great guys here around. ^_^ Cheers Mates.

mid_ds_016.jpg

mid_ds_017.jpg

mid_ds_018.jpg

mid_ds_019.jpg

mid_ds_020.jpg

mid_ds_021.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Collin Top job Sir! It looks like it was meant to be like that. And I bet that three gear standup transmission layout is going to make it drive so nice on modern astro surface. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

• Like 1

What will you do about shock mounting? Looks like the mount will be wrong side vs the wishbone now and I assume the wishbones aren't just reversible.... You'll end up with crazy toe out. 

2 hours ago, Ann3x said:

What will you do about shock mounting? Looks like the mount will be wrong side vs the wishbone now and I assume the wishbones aren't just reversible.... You'll end up with crazy toe out. 

So true. To be honest, I have not thought so far till you mentioned it. I think I will simply move the mounts to the rear and print them with PA12.

mid_ds_022.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Collin Top job Sir! It looks like it was meant to be like that. And I bet that three gear standup transmission layout is going to make it drive so nice on modern astro surface. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Thanks a lot Sir! It was exactly the same thought I had when I put it all together this afternoon. I think it is the right way becaus everything felt so Tamiya.

About the battery mount. I figured out its so flexible. Just turn the braces around and you can put the shorty across drive direction. Also the standard chassis is great, you simply need the space inside for electrics. In my DS211x , the one with the super slim chassis, its all so narrow.

Well, I need to have a closer look to the top battery brace, somehow I did not liked the DS211x version too much because the thumb nuts where scratching against the shell.

So far thats it for today. A huge step, definitly over the mountain. Good night all!

Ah, one last thing. I am looking for the D4 from TR-15T grey fiber plastic. It is the connector between rear damper stay and gearbox. Can be used but not woren out. Would need one but take two also  : )

9 hours ago, Ann3x said:

So promising Tom! It Looks like a secret TRF stealth project! And not too many parts needed, minimal cutting of the shell, I end up wanting this conversion for my spare Rere Dyna.:D

There may be a chance, you can use the original wishbones. I don´t have my Dyna here, but it Looks the toe in is built in the wishbone mounts on the rear? Worth checking and just flip the arms for a trial.

And you totally hit a nail with your concept going more in a Vintage mod like Tamiya could have done it, and not trying to make it compete with complete modern buggies. :) Subscribed!

Regarding the shell: Do not know the Penguin mould, but if ist moulded flat in the rear you could maybe cut it out smaller and leave more standing on the backside to hide even more of it´s inner secrets.

And you should already start thinking of a Special Tamiya boxart like "Super Dyna Storm or Dyna Storm Evo".:lol:

You really climbed the mountain already!

Just only one remark: Maybe check the motor position over the chassis: to keep COG low,  you should optimize the motor mounting holes, to not waste too many mm´s when using your favorite ratio. Or you switch to 2 parallel slides, to keep the motor always on the same height. But I don´t see it exactly in the pic, could be all fine though.

Kind regards,

Matthias

I agree with @ruebiracer, if possible get the motor right down on the deck with horixontal slots to maintain the handking balance across different gearing. It will also prevent the motor moving up and touching the shell when you change gearing too. It should be quite easy to change. 

The rear arms are a shame. You could flip then but that will really shorten the wheelbase. PA12 arms sounds like the best option. 

I also really like the idea of some boxart. May i make a name suggestion? The TRF201 went from 201XR to 201XM (rear motor to mid motor). Maybe it is Dyna Storm XM? 

• Like 1

Good Morning guys. The advice with the motor position is on the agenda now. I can lower it about 3.5mm which is a lot! I am not too shure how big the pinion could go. I never tested more then 27t which is my biggest. I saw other Dynas geared up with 32t.

About the arms, flipping them will lower the wheelbase and CVDs wouldnt turn out that straight that I want them to. Remade arms is the best solution and wouldnt be too expensive also.

Yes, I  want a boxart, that would be the absolute burner! Maybe out of a photo when its finished with a comical effect over it. Or maybe just Tamiya will care about, that would be best : )

About the name. TRF201 is the newer line of the buggies, right?  My Blaster is called DB211x, the slim chassis Storm DS211x, both inspired of the Classic TRF201x. The modern TRF211 xm is the mid motor buggy. So logical it will be DS211xm. Hmmm.

Super Dyna Storm sounds great to me :D

But guys, I am so happy that I can feel your enthusiasm too! Its really very helpfull to read your thoughts about it. Its a rainy day today so I think I can do some progress as well. Over night I found a good solution for the top battery brace : )

• Like 2