Collin

Mid-Storm, just another Dyna.

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

DS211XM is quite correct, but I think you are right, Super Dyna Storm does sound cooler!

Sounds cool to me too, more Vintage, before simple codes took over!:D

As the lower Chassis is anyway new I guess: Maybe relocating the mounting braces for the rear wishbones could compensate the wheelbase and driveshaft angle again? The stiffening Alu brace could be kept using spacers and longer suspension pins?

Just my 2 Cents Tom, your fusion drawn wishbones do look the part, Tamiya would have the designed the same.

Would be a shame now not to use them...

:wub:

For the box art, Super Dyna Storm would be easy to do, Super Astute wing gives the idea: Even Astute and Dyna storm letters use the same colors yellow and orange!

Then there could be the original wheels in some neon colors from DT02 or 3, and "total control" could turn into: "absolute control".:lol:

Just some ideas, that popped up from itself, seems I´m Tamiya mad.:blink: Or it´s the lockdown and homeoffice thing.

Offset would be 11.5mm so it is possible to put D1/D2 more to the back. But the metal brace just does not fit anyore. So you would need a 1mm longer shaft (3x56mm) and a 1mm shim.  I found Tamiya 3x58 axes but they have to be cuttet plus a new kerb for the e-clip.

If I find already finished 3x56mm axes it might worth to try.

• Like 1

Thought about the wing mount, Maybe just turn it round, bending down and mount the wing closer to the body, Avante 2001 style. Wouldn´t create a too big gap as mounting the wing rearwards. Would also unload the front axle, if it´s too far behind the rear axle.;) Just a thought, was working a lot on my 2001 the last weeks...

I did not thought there will be a problem. Taking 2mm welding wire and bending it freehands.

The motor mount is a little tricky. I spend a lot of time trying what its best. Which pinions should be able to fit? 20-35t?

Can anyone measure the diameter of a 35T pinion please? Should be ~15mm calculated, right?

Flipping the rear supspension arm looks like a realistic oportunity. Instead of reprinting arms I need to find axes now, or buying longer ones and cutting them. Also it would be possible to take off 1mm of the arms but I dont want to cut around on original parts.

mid_ds_023.jpg

mid_ds_024.jpg

mid_ds_025.jpg

I will put the Proto V2 together now, with new motorplate and flippend rear arms.

I´ll be back! B)

:lol:

• Like 1

20t pinion, motor nearley laying on the chassis.

mid_ds_026.jpg

I think it will be possible to go up to 40t :blink:

mid_ds_027.jpg

Reverse suspension arms:

mid_ds_028.jpg

Weelbase is ~10mm longer now, can be +/- 3mm with those spacer clips beside the hub.

@ruebiracer @ThunderDragonCy @Ann3x  I owe you guys a beer for your brilliant advices about some little but very important details! Hats off to you.

• Like 3

@Collin Good work on the rear arms and motor plate. Proper moulded arms are always best i think. Can't wait to see the finished article and her how it drives. That's more than enough thanks for me!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Collin Good work on the rear arms and motor plate. Proper moulded arms are always best i think. Can't wait to see the finished article and her how it drives. That's more than enough thanks for me!

Propper moulded, yes of course. But still we are talking about Dyna Strom where no one knows where to get original suspension arms or bulkhead ect from :( Even if I and some others offer printed spare parts I am hardly waiting for ReRe of the Storm or Blaster (or TR-15T  :wub:).

Because of too much computer work and drawing, I will do some full analog modeling very soon : )

mid_ds_029.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ok, found this ones. Its HPI and listed with 3x56mm. Lets give it a try. :)

82041_82041_01p_314_235.jpg.4b3eadf9f145a5e0e47e5b2a43faae36.jpg

• Like 2

Quick question about (steering) servo in general. I checked some measures and it seems like they are all about the same size, except low profile ones, they are less hight. But my interest are the mounts. Basicly they are all the same on our servo, right?

Here it is about 49mm from center to center of the mounting ears, 55mm side to side.

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Quick question about (steering) servo in general. I checked some measures and it seems like they are all about the same size, except low profile ones, they are less hight. But my interest are the mounts. Basicly they are all the same on our servo, right?

Here it is about 49mm from center to center of the mounting ears, 55mm side to side.

Yes, lo pro servos use regular mounting points. They are just much shorter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the beer offer Tom, but I´m with Thunder, to participate a little is more than enough, great how you solved all the difficulties and always found a way to improve the ideas further! So much fun, and can´t wait for the first time this Thing is throwing dirt behind it´s wheels.

And interesting with the modelling gips, seems you have another masterplan!:D

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Thanks for the beer offer Tom, but I´m with Thunder, to participate a little is more than enough, great how you solved all the difficulties and always found a way to improve the ideas further! So much fun, and can´t wait for the first time this Thing is throwing dirt behind it´s wheels.

And interesting with the modelling gips, seems you have another masterplan!:D

My pleasure : )

I got this (original) TRF201x gearcover a while ago here on TC. The sender just pressed it into a envelope end sent it through half Europe while Christmas post was shipped around. Now its a bit out of shape. Could have been so easy and I am still a bit mad about someone trying so save a few bugs of shipping cost and not caring about what happened after. But I simply should forget about it.

Anyways, the masterplan is to make a mold, reshaping the damaged section and also adding some bits here and there to fit a) standard Dyna Blaster/Storm and b) the Super Storm ; ) I think it will be really huge fun messing aroun with gips/plaster : )

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Collin said:

My pleasure : )

I got this (original) TRF201x gearcover a while ago here on TC. The sender just pressed it into a envelope end sent it through half Europe while Christmas post was shipped around. Now its a bit out of shape. Could have been so easy and I am still a bit mad about someone trying so save a few bugs of shipping cost and not caring about what happened after. But I simply should forget about it.

Anyways, the masterplan is to make a mold, reshaping the damaged section and also adding some bits here and there to fit a) standard Dyna Blaster/Storm and b) the Super Storm ; ) I think it will be really huge fun messing aroun with gips/plaster : )

If you are looking for a tamiya 3 gear kid gear cover, have a look at the FF03. It's the mirror image of the 201 cover. No spur gear hole and a little bit smaller (68t 0.6mod spur really), but it works. I used one and the FF03 motor plate to make a 3 gear standup transmission for my TRF211. i just drilled a hole for the slipper clutch shaft/spring. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

FF03

Did you meant DF03, right?

No, FF03. Download a manual. It's basically a TRF201 transmission with the motor on the front. Uses a TA06 diff. Most of the internals are interchangeable

• Like 1

DF FF Whats that all about then?... Again a good reason to not call it DS211XM-Something. :D  I remember there was a funny topic about all this codes somewhere here.

I´ll check the manual later then. Thanks.

• Like 1

Well. I think I am done with 2D & 3D drawing. Its around six versions of the plates and two of the 3D ones until the final version stands. Quiet often switching between fusion and Illustrator (yes, I do vectors in Illustator :D ).

Two things to do for tomorrow, I want a nicer design of the top battery brace and I want a 3D printed bumper around the rear edge of the carbon chassis. Just a small thing which protects the rear from delamination and hard impacts.

Good night fellas and thanks again.

• Like 2

This should be some kind of rear bumper to protect the rear edge of the chassis from impacts. I am not shure about the clearence to the ground. The bumper is 3mm high. Might be worth to print one and just give it a try.

mid_ds_033.jpg

Also a new branding, I simply cannot get off that dog thing :lol:

mid_ds_034.jpg

• Like 4

Small and very important steps, the correct position of the suspension arms in connection with CVD angle. Left is original DS, right side the Super Sorm.

mid_ds_032.jpg

I got some very usefull informations about rotating forces on CVDs gaining grip ect which is all knowledge I dont have (yet). The suspension arms moved a little bit to the front and those little spacers beside the rear hub will do the rest.

mid_ds_035.jpg

Now I am done with chassis and all other flat parts. Have to oversleep it and check again tomorrow and then its ready for carbon prototype.

so this is your last chance to drop some good arguments for any changes, you are welcome : )

• Like 2

Looks great. What did you do about the battery location and retention? 

Also, i'm going off Super Storm name, because of the silly "Super Storm Dragon" thing going on with that old CoroCoro shell rere. How about Ultra Storm? Next up from Super? Or Dyna Storm Mid? Bit Kyosho i know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Very enjoyable thread. Looking forward to the final build.

reminds me (a little ) of a Franken-car I used to have, a 2wd mod motor micro based on a B4. But your is way more polished