Collin

Mid-Storm, just another Dyna.

8 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Looks great. What did you do about the battery location and retention? 

Also, i'm going off Super Storm name, because of the silly "Super Storm Dragon" thing going on with that old CoroCoro shell rere. How about Ultra Storm? Next up from Super? Or Dyna Storm Mid? Bit Kyosho i know. 

Battery is a shorty pack and you can place it along or across drive direction. Just turn around that U-shaped battery clamps and thats it. Simple and flexible.

That name, oh my gosh. Its even not recommended to call it short SS. :blink: What about Wrenchdogs Super Dyna Mid Storm Madness Tamiyaclub Conversion?! Short sayes WSDMDMT? Noooo.

Well, still there is some time until birth of this child. Btw I received two Penguin shells which I bought on ebay. I left the last one for someone else ;)

• Like 1

Got the Shorty LiPo today which showed me another truth :unsure:

Well, it will just be possible to place the LiPo along drive-direction not across. Somehow I did not thought about the sidepanels. I had them mounted most of time but not at the end, when I made final adjustment for battery. I am just afraid of cutting the upper deck in two pieces to siply mount the battery from the top. I thint it will loose some stiffness then. But for me its okay to pot the battery along drive-direction only.

A 3mm slimstyle chassis could solve this  but then its again the need of a undertray.

Also I needet to move the servo more to the front, I hope all the steering arms does not collaps now, but the drybuild saied it should be just okay.

Carbon parts are in production now. Motorplate is in focus now. Maybe I can even fit the original gearcover, which would be a blast!

mid_ds_036.jpg

mid_ds_037.jpg

mid_ds_038.jpg

And because I needed some non-tinkering job for relaxing I restored this red Storm and added some neon green and pink. With so much modifications its also a real pleasue to just keep it all original but as a runner.

mid_ds_039.jpg

mid_ds_040.jpg

mid_ds_041.jpg

Good night fellas.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Collin said:

Got the Shorty LiPo today which showed me another truth :unsure:

Well, it will just be possible to place the LiPo along drive-direction not across. Somehow I did not thought about the sidepanels. I had them mounted most of time but not at the end, when I made final adjustment for battery. I am just afraid of cutting the upper deck in two pieces to siply mount the battery from the top. I thint it will loose some stiffness then. But for me its okay to pot the battery along drive-direction only.

A 3mm slimstyle chassis could solve this  but then its again the need of a undertray.

Also I needet to move the servo more to the front, I hope all the steering arms does not collaps now, but the drybuild saied it should be just okay.

Carbon parts are in production now. Motorplate is in focus now. Maybe I can even fit the original gearcover, which would be a blast!

mid_ds_036.jpg

mid_ds_037.jpg

mid_ds_038.jpg

And because I needed some non-tinkering job for relaxing I restored this red Storm and added some neon green and pink. With so much modifications its also a real pleasue to just keep it all original but as a runner.

mid_ds_039.jpg

mid_ds_040.jpg

mid_ds_041.jpg

Good night fellas.

Tom, great job! Using the original gear cover Looks even more as a Tamiya TRF prototype!

And would reduce amount od conversion parts needed! Don´t worry about the battery placement, I would have anyway put it lengthwise. No additional front weights needed, I guess. Thumbs up on the manufacturing, you did a top work!

Good resto on the red one, too! Nice vintage runner, as my old one.

Have a nice weekend,

Matthias

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Tom, great job! Using the original gear cover Looks even more as a Tamiya TRF prototype!

And would reduce amount od conversion parts needed!

That was one of my top priorities, to keep as much original parts as possible.

The small details no one see but which takes so much time. The difference between enjoying building such a mod-kit and a cheap set of something which does not fit at all.

mid_ds_042.jpg

This are the HPI shafts which are 56mm but measured between the clips and not like Tamiya, the overall lenght. First I thought I needed to cut a new slot for the e-clip but now I figured out its the best what could happened. I printed some spacers like the one for the front and rear hubs. Now the whole reinforcing metal brace moves to the front and the gearboxcover slips inbetween that and the gearbox. Hurray! 

I will cut two versions of the new (V7 & 8) motorplate tomorrow. With the use of the original gearbox the pinion size will be limited to app. 20-30T. This needs to be enough, its very tight in there.
Also I think I have to use countersunk screws for the motor. Anyone is familier with them on other models?

• Like 3

Hi Tom,

Little bit of luck is needed for every project like this!:D

With the countersunk screws, you wand to get a flat surface for the gear box cover I guess? I don´t see any point, why it should not work as you plan,

as long as the sunk angles are cut nicely. With  your friends CNC Equipment this should not be a problem I guess. 

Kind regards,

Matthias

9 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

P.S.: Guess who ordered a Penguin shell now, too.:lol:

I left one for a good reason then : )  About machining, its not everything CNC made. Mainly its cutting what I get made by others. For CNC I have to pay as usual, which is quiet a lot for single pieces. For exsample countersunks are handmade by me.

3 minutes ago, Collin said:

I left one for a good reason then : )  About machining, its not everything CNC made. Mainly its cutting what I get made by others. For CNC I have to pay as usual, which is quiet a lot for single pieces. For exsample countersunks are handmade by me.

Ah, o.k. I thought you spoke about the slots whre the motor moves regarding to the pinion size. But if yes, hard to do yourself from my experience. Maybe easiest is to drill 2 holes in the end of the slots, countersunk them, and then join both holes with a slot and grind the angels of the slot.

Penguin already restocked 10 Shells, no Need to hold back Tom! Your next Dyna project will come anyway!:lol:

50 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Ah, o.k. I thought you spoke about the slots whre the motor moves regarding to the pinion size.  Maybe easiest is to drill 2 holes in the end of the slots, countersunk them, and then join both holes with a slot and grind the angels of the slot.

Exactly what I was talking about and exactly how I will do it. Unless I dont need to make more then five of them its totaly fine to handmake some steps.

Dyna Strom RS :huh: and even 4x4. :D

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

P.S.: Guess who ordered a Penguin shell now, too.:lol:

Guess who already ordered cutting two carbon sets for the Mid DS, huh?! :)

Btw. you mentioned someone doing decals, but I cant find the posting. Or have I been dreaming?

• Like 1

Guess I wrote you in a PM. Bwaaatch has some experience in drawing decals. He did a great job on his Avante. Maybe you can ask him to help in this project?

Here is his Avante:

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=133948&id=48472

Otherwise, if he is busy, I heard Nathaniel from MCI is also quite helpful. Maybe it´s possible to change the original DS stickers he makes according to your likes. Depends on what you have in mind Tom!? I actually like the Mini 4wd series livery, at least some parts of it like the chrome color parts. Or still adapt the Super Astute scheme on the Dyna, maybe with changed colors. (easy to order at MCI).

And thanks so much for making your project buildable for me! :wub:

Br,

Matthias

• Like 2

I downloaded the original decal set from tamiyabase now. Luckily the decals are very simple made. I think MCI is the man, I was already in touch with him about some TR-18T decals, which I never did then.

Btw I will get one (hopefully) final V9 motorplate cutted to check how it will be watercuttet. Its not that 10mm circle will be 10mm in real. The drawing need to be set for each cutter.

Stay tuned!

• Like 4

On 5/25/2020 at 4:34 PM, Collin said:

Dyna Strom RS :huh: and even 4x4. :D

Your next project 🤪

49 minutes ago, bjorklo said:

Your next project 🤪

Dont laugh, thats no fun, thats serious hobby ::D

To be honest, I am studying the Dyna 4x4 pics already. :mellow:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Collin said:

Relax Tom, all Mini 4WD´s are 4WD, that´s just part of the system. :D

But I like some of the design Elements of the RS. Maybe I´ll go a little this route.:lol:

At least I got some original star dish wheels in chrome now!

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Felgen-Racing-Fighter-2-2-vorne-hinten-Chrome

3 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Relax Tom, all Mini 4WD´s are 4WD, that´s just part of the system. :D

But I like some of the design Elements of the RS. Maybe I´ll go a little this route.:lol:

At least I got some original star dish wheels in chrome now!

https://tamico.de/Tamiya-Felgen-Racing-Fighter-2-2-vorne-hinten-Chrome

You can find decals for the mini on ebay, the photo is pretty good to use for creating decals. Someone who is in design would do it in an evening... :ph34r:

Btw.... did you know about the TRF411X prototype? Its in fact a mid motor Dyna Storm with 4x4.

https://www.rcscrapyard.net/de/tamiya-trf411x-93005.htm

:unsure: So its a bit of a "must-do-it"...

8 hours ago, Collin said:

Cool 😊👍🏼

44 minutes ago, Collin said:

You can find decals for the mini on ebay, the photo is pretty good to use for creating decals. Someone who is in design would do it in an evening... :ph34r:

Btw.... did you know about the TRF411X prototype? Its in fact a mid motor Dyna Storm with 4x4.

Careful with scaling up mini 4wd decals. I did it with the Grasshopper2 Jnr Dress Up decals to get options for my Grasshopper 2, but they were way out just scaling 1:32 to 1:10 with MCI Racing. The proportions of the mini4wd are quite different. 

True, it was just meant to be a source of inspiration : )

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Collin said:

Now I understand! Holy Moly, didn´t know about that! That would indeed be the blue Mauritius of the Dyna Storm platform. The rear gearbox is really quite versatile. Even the DS dampers were used! 

Unfortunately I´m not into inkscape or something yet, and lack the time to learn it at the moment. So I´ll probably stick to a original decal set with custom colors from MCI, and try to do some chrome effects with paint instead of stickers.

I did knew about the TRF411x since a while but looked at it in detail some days ago. I was surprised to discover it is midmotor as well and how they did the link to the upper deck. My idear in fact was not so wrong at all.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Collin said:

mid_DS_decal_01.jpg

This is why I d need your logo vectors Mr NetsmithUK : )

@netsmithUK

Wow Tom, quick work and totally cool!:wub: Hope MCi is replying soon...