Collin

Mid-Storm, just another Dyna.

mid_ds_043.jpg

No way back now. Gonna receive this nice parts in a week or two. :)

• Like 5

This is the latest prototype for the motorplate. If you do watercutting, you never get exactly what you draw in CAD. So I get one cutted to check deviation. But its all fine, flange bearing siths nice and tight enough.

mid_ds_044.jpg

• Like 4

SLA printed spur gear with 116t. Wish it was so easy but I dont think it last long. Its the first SLA resin print in my hands and the resolution is incredible. This is 0.4 module. :o

DS_spur_gear_02.jpg

• Like 6

It is indeed. The whole gearbox is running on the desk but I am afraid the spur gear wouldnt last half a battery on the run.

There is the need for some new resins but I think that wil take its time until they are available.

@donut_v2 What do you think about available resins and spur gears?

On 6/2/2020 at 2:46 AM, Collin said:

mid_ds_043.jpg

No way back now. Gonna receive this nice parts in a week or two. :)

This is what I've been waiting for!!!

7 hours ago, Collin said:

It is indeed. The whole gearbox is running on the desk but I am afraid the spur gear wouldnt last half a battery on the run.

There is the need for some new resins but I think that wil take its time until they are available.

Will the super Astute Rere slipper shaft work with the DS gearbox?

21 hours ago, Collin said:

SLA printed spur gear with 116t. Wish it was so easy but I dont think it last long. Its the first SLA resin print in my hands and the resolution is incredible. This is 0.4 module. :o

DS_spur_gear_02.jpg

Incredibly good result Tom! For running I agree with you that th eteeth maybe are too weak in 0,4 module to stand the pinion. But with that kind of quality you should be able to print an Adapter ring for a touring car spur or any spur gear with 116T!? So this could be simply drilled out/cutted to fit over the slipper housing, and be mounted with an adapter ring printed in SLA...

e.g. a spur gear from 3 Racing:

https://tamico.de/3Racing-64-Pitch-Spur-Gear-116T?curr=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ez2BRCyARIsAJfg-ktQX_aUyOc1dbdM8bntk907othdm-nhzrpOg_J12JuZmPGhHa5w-gcaAlm1EALw_wcB

14 hours ago, GTodd said:

Will the super Astute Rere slipper shaft work with the DS gearbox?

I am afraid its too far away for a simple solution. But I agree it would be very sexy to have a alternativ shaft to use DT03 slipper clutch. Also because tr-15T main shafts are not longer available at common sources.

12 hours ago, ruebiracer said:

Incredibly good result Tom! For running I agree with you that th eteeth maybe are too weak in 0,4 module to stand the pinion. But with that kind of quality you should be able to print an Adapter ring for a touring car spur or any spur gear with 116T!? So this could be simply drilled out/cutted to fit over the slipper housing, and be mounted with an adapter ring printed in SLA...

e.g. a spur gear from 3 Racing:

https://tamico.de/3Racing-64-Pitch-Spur-Gear-116T?curr=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ez2BRCyARIsAJfg-ktQX_aUyOc1dbdM8bntk907othdm-nhzrpOg_J12JuZmPGhHa5w-gcaAlm1EALw_wcB

My first idear was the adapter ring indeed. Cutting out the inner part of a spur gear to make it fit. But its not so easy with mounting it securely. Also I dont want to add another three screws because of weight.

Present idear is, to cut out everythig from an available spur gear to fit it at once to the MDC. But this need to be very precise. Probably with help of  stenicil.

But one step after the other. I will get 30/31 aluminum pinion gears on monday and will check clearence with the original spur gear. The modified spur gears will come some time when everything else is done.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Collin said:

My first idear was the adapter ring indeed. Cutting out the inner part of a spur gear to make it fit. But its not so easy with mounting it securely. Also I dont want to add another three screws because of weight.

Present idear is, to cut out everythig from an available spur gear to fit it at once to the MDC. But this need to be very precise. Probably with help of  stenicil.

But one step after the other. I will get 30/31 aluminum pinion gears on monday and will check clearence with the original spur gear. The modified spur gears will come some time when everything else is done.

No hurry Tom, and yes, it adds weight and rotational mass. I think finding a good spur with material to be cutted/drilled is the way to go. Just the procedure must be perfect… 

23 hours ago, Collin said:

None of the resins I've used would last long as gears for rc vehicles. I haven't tried the "tough" resins yet though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tinkering around with alternative spur gear for brushless motors.

46pitch with 90 teeth spur gear can provide appr. FDR 12.86 (14t) till 6.43 (28t).

I think this will cover all desires, right?

Just checked the gearing for my Dyna Blaster (ok, larger rear whees) conversion which is 84/22 FDR 7.64 an it goes forward like a steaming rocket!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Collin said:

46pitch with 90 teeth spur gear can provide appr. FDR 12.86 (14t) till 6.43 (28t).

Just checked the gearing for my Dyna Blaster (ok, larger rear whees) conversion which is 84/22 FDR 7.64 an it goes forward like a steaming rocket!

That will easily cover your options. Onky thing you need gearing down at 6 for is racing 17.5 stock. 

3 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Only thing you need gearing down at 6 for is racing 17.5 stock. 

Sorry for stupid asking but what is 17.5 stock racing? Nothing to do with wallstreet, right?

And why is it important to gear down to FDR 6.0 for a 17.5T motor?

:unsure:

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Sorry for stupid asking but what is 17.5 stock racing? Nothing to do with wallstreet, right?

And why is it important to gear down to FDR 6.0 for a 17.5T motor?

:unsure:

As in stock racing class. Fixed spec motors, usually no timing (known as blinky) on the ESC. In 2wd off road, good gearing for a 17.5 motor is around 6FDR. 13.5 motors are around 7, 10.5 around 8 etc. So, if you run a 17.5 motor, gearing around 6 will work well. I run 13.5 in my Thunder Dragon and run it 6.7 which is a bit tall, but my options are limited. What motor are you planning to run? 

• Like 2

So it will be interesting for people who go for vinage racing. Thats a point.

I take whatever I get. I have some 13x2t or 14x2t brushed ones and a black acto power. For brusheless (if I will get one also) something around 10.5T

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Collin said:

Hi Tom,

guess you meant 48 pitch gears, as they are common. Checked your ratios, and yes they are true. Just from the distance Motor axle to main shaft you are with 14t and 28t outside the adjusting range calculated from the manual.

To be fully in the range from the DS Manual, mountable pinion teeth would be 21 to 25, maybe 20 to 26, which are close. Ratios would be 8,57 to 7,52 :1.

9 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

As in stock racing class. Fixed spec motors, usually no timing (known as blinky) on the ESC. In 2wd off road, good gearing for a 17.5 motor is around 6FDR. 13.5 motors are around 7, 10.5 around 8 etc. So, if you run a 17.5 motor, gearing around 6 will work well. I run 13.5 in my Thunder Dragon and run it 6.7 which is a bit tall, but my options are limited. What motor are you planning to run? 

Thank you, that´s the missing info we searched for. No Offroad racing for me since 1993.:lol:

As I will probably use a 13,5t brushless gearing down to 7:1 should be the goal (for me).;)

57 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Hi Tom,

guess you meant 48 pitch gears, as they are common. Checked your ratios, and yes they are true. Just from the distance Motor axle to main shaft you are with 14t and 28t outside the adjusting range calculated from the manual.

To be fully in the range from the DS Manual, mountable pinion teeth would be 21 to 25, maybe 20 to 26, which are close. Ratios would be 8,57 to 7,52 :1.

You mentioned again the distance moto axle main shaft from the manual. Where is this written in the manual, can you point it to me? Because I think you are wrong with this.

I have 27t on my original DS and still space going bigger. Just to not make things more complicated like "talking aneinender vorbei"  : ) You see I am even mixind numbers 64dp and 48dp making 46dp. I am really wondering how all my parts aligne so well to each other. :lol:

But yes, @ThunderDragonCy enlightened my "non-RC-mind" too.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Collin said:

So it will be interesting for people who go for vinage racing. Thats a point.

I take whatever I get. I have some 13x2t or 14x2t brushed ones and a black acto power. For brusheless (if I will get one also) something around 10.5T

I am a little less clear on brushed, but on my newly built OG Thunder Dragon i have a 17x1 brushed and it's probably overgeared at 8.9FDR with the smallest pinion i can manage in the car, so for somethi g as hot as 14x2 i would guess you need gearing over 10 to keep the temperatures under control. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Collin said:

You mentioned again the distance moto axle main shaft from the manual. Where is this written in the manual, can you point it to me? Because I think you are wrong with this.

I have 27t on my original DS and still space going bigger. Just to not make things more complicated like "talking aneinender vorbei"  : ) You see I am even mixind numbers 64dp and 48dp making 46dp. I am really wondering how all my parts aligne so well to each other. :lol:

But yes, @ThunderDragonCy enlightened my "non-RC-mind" too.

Hi Tom,

took the info simply by a=z1+z2*m/2, which is the gear Formula (m= module) to give you the axle distances for 20/126T and 27/126T gear Combos from the DS Manual. But as you stated you have space to go bigger when Looking at 27t pinion, Tamiya probably didn´t give us the whole range the Dyna can give.:)

So I need my 1:1 Dyna and start some mounting trials!:D

With my nephew I run last year 27T with a Tamiya GT Tuned Motor on 2s Lipo, which was o.k. regarding topsppeed for my nephew (7years) and his first drive on a real big offroad track, but was clearly slower than my old race Motor from 1993, which was 13x2 brushed. When I have time, I need to test that GT tuned for the RPM´s they have. Just had it lying around from my Vajra kit, so I thought give it a try...

55 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Hi Tom,

took the info simply by a=z1+z2*m/2, which is the gear Formula (m= module) to give you the axle distances for 20/126T and 27/126T gear Combos from the DS Manual. But as you stated you have space to go bigger when Looking at 27t pinion, Tamiya probably didn´t give us the whole range the Dyna can give.:)

So I need my 1:1 Dyna and start some mounting trials!:D

With my nephew I run last year 27T with a Tamiya GT Tuned Motor on 2s Lipo, which was o.k. regarding topsppeed for my nephew (7years) and his first drive on a real big offroad track, but was clearly slower than my old race Motor from 1993, which was 13x2 brushed. When I have time, I need to test that GT tuned for the RPM´s they have. Just had it lying around from my Vajra kit, so I thought give it a try...

Ok, just wanted to hear that you calculated it. I thought I missed something written about it in the manual.

Yes please go and check it also, I am a bit lost in numbers : )

Later today I wil lpick up the 30/31t pinion gears in 0,4module. Also I printed some spur dummies from 94 to 84t in 48dp. To be honest, it even looks great printed with PLA :blink: Probably printing is really a solution.

PS: Just checked my original DS with 27T and its still app. 2mm left at the slot, to go bigger : )

• Like 1

Ok, excel sheets are nice but I need hardware to test.

This is my prototype of a 5-gear transmission... :ph34r: No. just kidding. :lol:
DS_spur_gear_03.jpg

I tested different 48dp spurs with the major idear to keep the original gear cover. So far 87t is the best fit, 92T already too big. I will try another 88/89t just to verify.
Some other combinations would fit but then I would need to move the motor a bit up which moves the center of gravity also. And I thinke we dont want this, right?

Now its like this original DS can run 0.4module 20-31t pinion gear with its original 126t spur gear. This will give you a FDR from 12.6 to 8.13 .
The 48dp 87t spur takes 22-30t pinion. Gives you a FDR from 7.91 to 5.8 .

Both versions will cover the whole range. What do you think about this solution?

• Haha 1

I´ll take a break for the moment. Its all to uncertain. The cardboard becomes too flexible and the gearcover just fits in THE ONE position to cover original and 48p gears. I will continue with when I got the carbon parts, othervice its just a waste of time.

Cheerio so long.