Collin

Mid-Storm, just another Dyna.

10 hours ago, Collin said:

I definitly will get in touch with you. But I think I need some weeks break of RC tinkering. Also money is a point. prototyping is expensive. But it will be a nice projcect for upcoming lockdown winter.

What I need to do is some investigation about internals. The gearbox need to stay (more or less) like the original but inside re-designed for modern internals. The gears, diff, outdrives and CVS should be something what will be available in some years too.

If you are going for modern internals that should be quite straightforward. Tamiya layshafts and spur gears are getting hard to come by, so i would recommend switching to another brand for that, but 20t idler and TA06 gear diff in 48dp pitch gears are easy to get and my transmissions are all set up for them. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

If you are going for modern internals that should be quite straightforward. Tamiya layshafts and spur gears are getting hard to come by, so i would recommend switching to another brand for that, but 20t idler and TA06 gear diff in 48dp pitch gears are easy to get and my transmissions are all set up for them. 

With all the gears, diff ect. it does not need to be Tamiya, I dont care for. Team Asso maybe or some big brand where parts are easy available. Its just that I dont know any other brands so I want to avoid ordering several gears with no need at the end. Recommendations are very welcome at this point.

mid_ds_112.jpg

Its not that beautiful but it will protect the nice sleeved damper caps. Probably the shock protectors will snap off very soon, but then I will start to add some more meat here and there until its strong enough.

• Like 1

Made some more turns at the track today and can happily announce, all known weak spots are proof now. I had some really spectacular stunts and nothing, really nothing moved accept the clay surface : ) Mid Dyna is ready for competition now.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Collin said:

Made some more turns at the track today and can happily announce, all known weak spots are proof now. I had some really spectacular stunts and nothing, really nothing moved accept the clay surface : ) Mid Dyna is ready for competition now.

Great news Tom, congratulations!:) Guess it was fun, fun, fun again on this great track!

Greets,

Matthias

On 10/7/2020 at 4:51 PM, ruebiracer said:

Great news Tom, congratulations!:) Guess it was fun, fun, fun again on this great track!

Greets,

Matthias

Its everytime good fun. Like today again. I am going there 2 times a week at least, running for two or three shortys and doing lot of progress. Well, one thing which still bother me are the D1/2 suspension mounts. They still break quiet easy (even pa12 ones) as soon the buggy flips/spins over sideways. Going aluminum? But what will break then? The suspension arms most probably.

I will try the maxiumun on material I can add and if this does not help I have to find a completely new design for the suspension mounts. :huh:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Collin said:

Its everytime good fun. Like today again. I am going there 2 times a week at least, running for two or three shortys and doing lot of progress. Well, one thing which still bother me are the D1/2 suspension mounts. They still break quiet easy (even pa12 ones) as soon the buggy flips/spins over sideways. Going aluminum? But what will break then? The suspension arms most probably.

I will try the maxiumun on material I can add and if this does not help I have to find a completely new design for the suspension mounts. :huh:

Where are your breaks Tom? Have you considered to do a version without brass inserts?

Here :lol:

mid_ds_113.jpg

The problem is, the crack starts in the corner but there need to be the space for the suspension arm. Not using brass bushes will not help. I could move the rear screw more to the front. The mount will literally be a block then and does not have the ear anymore. Would need to drill another hole into the chassis. Hm...

Maybe I try to "meat-it-up" as much I can bevor...

@wtcc5 Good luck with your printed mounts for the Dyna Blaster. :lol:

Edit Checklist:

• Aluminum
  • 3D print on steroids
  • rear screw more to the front and doing block design (drilling chassis)
  • adding a flexible element (like Schuhmacher? front suspension mounts with rubberbands)

Any idear welcome!

• Like 1

What an excellent project, hard work and commitment. Love it!! A suggestion could you not incorporate suspension arms hubs and drivershafts from another 2wd modern buggy? 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Avante2001R said:

What an excellent project, hard work and commitment. Love it!! A suggestion could you not incorporate suspension arms hubs and drivershafts from another 2wd modern buggy? 

I am a bit of a caveman regarding RC evolution but can you post a picture? Any specific model? Anyway I have the plan to modernize the whole transmission. So why not.... Definitly I will keep the suspension arm designe, its simply unique.

What I can do from my home lab is this prototype.

mid_ds_114.jpg

mid_ds_115.jpg

Still possible to add some material along the usual crackline, but as @Avante2001R said, maybe doing a redesigne like modern RCs do use. This mount looks brutal, not shure about it at all. What if I go aluminum? probably the chassis drills will break, as there is only 2mm to the edge. Will add a bit for the next version, does not  hurt. Suspension arms around the pin do not break but they are really small. interesting to see how parts work ao th track.

Another enlightment, Its definitly not possible to keep up with moder 1:8 like Mugen on the track. Sadly I did not met anyone at the Track who shares my love to vintage RCs. But they all told me they startet with Grashopper :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Collin said:

I am a bit of a caveman regarding RC evolution but can you post a picture? Any specific model? Anyway I have the plan to modernize the whole transmission. So why not.... Definitly I will keep the suspension arm designe, its simply unique.

What I can do from my home lab is this prototype.

mid_ds_114.jpg

mid_ds_115.jpg

Still possible to add some material along the usual crackline, but as @Avante2001R said, maybe doing a redesigne like modern RCs do use. This mount looks brutal, not shure about it at all. What if I go aluminum? probably the chassis drills will break, as there is only 2mm to the edge. Will add a bit for the next version, does not  hurt. Suspension arms around the pin do not break but they are really small. interesting to see how parts work ao th track.

Another enlightment, Its definitly not possible to keep up with moder 1:8 like Mugen on the track. Sadly I did not met anyone at the Track who shares my love to vintage RCs. But they all told me they startet with Grashopper :lol:

No need to compete with modern 1:8 buggies Tom! You´re driving a classic.:) Just enjoy and don´t overdrive it too much!:lol:

But I think the good news is, that your printed wishbone is holding up! Another idea came up to me: Could you use a second alu brace on the rear of the suspension pins? That would transfer some load during cartwheeling to the other side, so maybe it could be the tiny bit to save the suspension mount from cracking completely? In my eyes, still better to change the suspension mount than the wishbone or the chassis.;)

Hope I get tomorrow the time to work on my SDS again...;)

Kind regards, Matthias

P.S.: Maybe you could check Super Astute suspenion mounts for compatibility on DS? At least they are available at the moment. But maybe not any stronger than your versions. Just something to investigate!:huh:

• Thanks 1

Yeah, stupid idea to compete with the big ones. :D

Definitly I will stay with the basic design and the new rear arms are suprising strong. Probably you are very right with just adding a rear brace. Its still enough space and a tiny bit more of strenght could be just enought. And yes, it probably needs one part to break bevor damaging the chassis.

• Like 1

Thunder shot arms should be plentiful now, easy to dye black and they fit well. I used to run madcap arms when I was club racing this DS. Car was a lot more stable too with the increase in wheelbase. I will do some work and see out a rear universal shaft, arms and hub. I can get stuff machined from alloy, that would be my preference over 3D print - which is fine for proof of concept and testing, not a fan of it for the final product.

0102DEB9-5B3C-4B57-B244-8B4F3ED43956.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very cool mod, surprisingly well fitting for the front! :)

Real alternative at the moment for a runner!

Looking at your tires, you probably did some carpet racing with the Dyna?

Kind regards,

Matthias

Yep I did in the past just bought these new so will do some light running with the car again. I have some plans. Would love to do a mid conversion if such kit is ever offered by Colin :)

• Like 2

On 7/13/2020 at 2:50 PM, Muvro said:

For the top shaft, I just drill out the spline in the internal ally hex and drill and then machine the outer part of the shaft to take a HPI RS4 spur adapter or slipper, it's a very easy and effective mod.

Hi again. I am still wondering about the top shaft. If you drill out the splines of the hex, how do they fit together then? So you still use the original DS shaft, right ?

The TR-15T mainshaft, the key to the mid motor conversion. I am going to machine some of them but not with the splines for the idle gear, which is too complicatet for me. I will simply fit the hex with a 2mm aloy screw or  press fit and loctite, whatever... Shure, somehow it is possible to mount a modern spur gear with friction clutch but for me the MDC is a iconic part which I really want to have on my Dynas. Maybe it does have some fading if getting hot but I dont care. Not everything in life makes sense. :lol:

But for shure I will keep some half-machined shafts for the option of modern clutch systems, cause its never wrong to keep possibilities open.

TR_mainshaft_01.jpg

With that mainshaft I am able to offer some conversion kits (no not 100pcs, maybe three or four) , as some people aked already for them. Thanks guys, what an honor to my work. :wub:
As there are so many combinations of remade and original parts I thought about three different sets, basicly.

Light Version: contains the minimum of part to convert a original DS to a mid DS - ("weak" like the original)

Medium Version: contains also reprinted bulkhead and suspension mounts - (ready to run with no pain)

Heavy Version: contains reprintet bulkhead, suspension arms & mounts, front and rear hubs, knuckle arms, kickup and front bumper, rear damper stay and full carbon parts kit (front /rear damper stays) - (The bullet-proove-version)

All planned for around X-mas.

• Like 3

I’m in. Keep me posted mate :)

would be great to have the option of a modern slipper setup something that’s easy to buy, probably from something like an Associated or Schumacher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Avante2001R said:

I’m in. Keep me posted mate :)

would be great to have the option of a modern slipper setup something that’s easy to buy, probably from something like an Associated or Schumacher. 

Please check my Dyna Blaster conversion topic. It runs a Losi XXX slipper gear. 

Also check the Dyna Storm conversion topic, it will explain a lot about how and why the chassis is designed like it is. 

• Like 2

Going to upgrade my workshop with this little helper. Will be delivered by next week, right in time befor my two weeks off work.
3mm shafts in any specific length and TR-15T main shaft are my first goal.

compact5.jpg

:)

• Like 5

On 10/11/2020 at 5:18 AM, Collin said:

Hi again. I am still wondering about the top shaft. If you drill out the splines of the hex, how do they fit together then? So you still use the original DS shaft, right ?

I just cross drilled and put a pin through the hex and the shaft. :)

16 hours ago, Muvro said:

I just cross drilled and put a pin through the hex and the shaft. :)

Shure, but the the whole DS shaft does not fit at both sides. : / You have any pics to post? I am nuts, if you can usa a original DS mainsahft with a switched transmission.

On 9/14/2020 at 2:25 PM, Collin said:

Your new one is already here in my sparebox waiting for you. :)

Let me know if you want me to pay that one now or if it could wait until I get it all 😊

Sorry not that active on Tamiyaclub these days, so much going on.. 

• Haha 1