Collin

Mid-Storm, just another Dyna.

MK2 is finished :wub:
It will be displayed at Moto Box Hamburg, the Ellerbrock Collection Museum.
motobox_02.jpg

motobox_01.jpg

motobox_04.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Boone227 said:

Amazing Work Tom!

Have you sold all your conversion kits yet??

Thanks Dan. Send me a mail ;)

Season start!

mid_ds_126.jpg

Found a company to the track today. He took his heavy modded Top Force (aluminum parts and delrin arms and such stuff) which has really lot of punch. The TF did not survived. It reminds me on my last and first season but now, the Mid Motor Dyna has so much strenght, you can not compare it to other modified Tamiya models in this way.

What was really strange, the back always wanted to spin forward. The hard and flat surface of the track had lot of dust on it, I guess that was the main reason.  I started to tweak a bit around, slipper clutch (stole the TRF201 clutch from Kumamon)  was really to the sensitiv end of the scale, started to loose the diff screw, made the rear damper more wide and so on. But it was never really satisfying. You had to be so senistiv on the steering wheel.

https://a-tom.org/tc/mid_DS_seasonstart2021.mp4

Driver: Chris / Camera: Me

PS: The Mid Motor needs more punch! Its so hard to find speed for the doubles after corners.

• Like 1

This is something special, got two new bulkheads. The black one is ABS resin print, some japanesse voodoo stuff, cant tell you exactly what it is. The quality is so brilliant, it looks like injection molded. The blue one is from this friendly guy Bora from Serbia, also knowen as Custom RC parts. His CNC parts are so well made, nothing to compare with other parts from small manufacturer I bought in the past. The white bulkhead is my own print (FDM) with PC filament. As far I can say, PC is the stronges and easiest to print with a hobby printer. Absolute recommendation for homeprinted parts, forget about ABS, PETg or some carbon reinforced material when you want to use it for RC models.

mid_ds_128.jpg

Next week I will give the ABS resin print a chance, lets see how much it can take. I already have a idear but its not fair to tell now. :lol:

mid_ds_127.jpg

• Like 2

Wow @Collin my friend, that is some serious stuff!!!

Love the blue anodized bulkhead! Unfortunately this guy is only on facebook, where I´m not!

Any infos on the pricing? Seems he also does the rear wishbone mounts in blue...

Also very interesting with the PC material! I heard Tamiya recently made some VQS parts from PC, too.;)

And the video was great agian, so nice track! Just your power down problem was visible! Maybe a tire problem? Maybe you should try another one!

Was your diff maybe on the tight side? I think this can be fixed. Don´t worry! And so great, that you keep on improving the durability of the Dyna all the time, Tom!!

• Like 1

I did not had this issues last year and since I moved the 12ball diff to the MK1 it could be the diff in combination with slippy dusty track. I ll see soon.

The alu parts where the last set and I got them on eBay. It was pure luck since I am not on fb too. The price.... 120€ for the whole kit. A steal!

• Like 1

Hi fellas,

did another track session today and mysteering problems are solved, it was the diff, too much tight. This clay track is very hard and dusty, even the slipper clutch needs a minimum of tight.

Here is a video made by my cameraman Chris, a bid autofocus (lets say "out of focus") really bad quality, I am usually driving bad when camera is around but you can clearly see how the MidDyna does performe now.
If I look back, this is my second run this season, made maybe five to eight runs last season and I feel so good with this car. I drive a bit more to defence but rarely flip the car over, compared to last year. Also I am not more afraid to break anything, all neuralgic spots are healed.

Have a look: https://a-tom.org/tc/mid_DS_midseason_run_2021.mp4

• Like 1

The track looks incredible low grip. Even more than Quincy and my sandpit.

Exactly what a rear motor buggy was made for :P (Duck und weg :lol:)…

1 hour ago, wtcc5 said:

The track looks incredible low grip. Even more than Quincy and my sandpit.

Exactly what a rear motor buggy was made for :P (Duck und weg :lol:)…

Lucky me with a mid motor conversion :D

Long time gone since my last posting. Many things happens meanwhile but this will be a story for around christmas, belive me you will love my upcoming project. ;) 

The Mid Motor Dyna is incredible fun and stays my dirt track car. You cant belive how much fun it is to run a Tamiya Dyna on a 1:8 scale track without beeing afraid breaking anything.  It was never meant to run there but it can, if you mod it hard. I dont break anything anymore, except the resin printed bulkhead, which did really, really well. Its way stronger then original Tamiya ABS but not that stron then PA12 nylon, since it is a bit more glass and not that flexy. Shure there will be some new resins in future but I was prowd to test some of this new materials which are not on consumer market yet. Also I am impressed by the white filament I was using for my first parts on this Dyna. It is Polymaker PC (Polycarbonate) and I can highly recommend it for homeprinting RC parts. Its easy to print and so strong, I cant tell you how. The layers melt so perfect.

Now I went a step forward mounting the new aluminum bulkhead from that serbian mate called Borac (custom rc part). Okay, those two blue hurt each other but I dont care for now. Maybe doing some recoating once in a time.
Front kickup is custom made Kydex part which wil last forever, I guess.

mid_ds_130.jpg

mid_ds_129.jpg

mid_ds_132.jpg

mid_ds_131.jpg

• Like 5

Hey hey...

did some new little modifications which are really cool! I got my hands on a 90s TRF buggy lately which is based on the Dyna Storm chassis. It was really interesting to studie and all the handmade mods made so much sense. Since I am running my Dyna on the track, I can really benefit from this little details.

This are the new rear suspension arms and hubs.
mid_ds_134.jpg

This are the old ones.

mid_ds_133.jpg

I get rid of all unnecessary traps which do like a hook, when hitting a certain obstacle such as little rocks ect... This prevents unwanted loosing the ground under your feed. I closed the lower damper mount and "cutted" the rear hubs both lower mounts, which are without any use anyways.

Its so cool, I thought this Mid Motor conversion is already complete but I still find so many little details which makes everything even much better. Simply love to work on and run this Dyna.

• Like 4