Jump to content
Collin

Mid-Storm, just another Dyna.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Collin said:

Bjorklo swaped his TR15T mainshaft with my DS one which is now yours... :ph34r:

@bjorklo We will find new one for your conversion kit again.

Shame on my head, I remember you said in some of our first mails, that it was a TC member, probably I overread that it was Björklo himself!!!:D

@bjorklo

Thank you so much, for giving me this opportunity to build the mid storm! 

Kind regards,

Matthias

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am prepairing the shell now. While cutting out the airscoop on the left driver side, I scratched the outside surface behind it with my tiny driller. Now I was thinking about drilling some nice holes there because also the ESC will be below. From the optical point I dont like it too much but I could deal with it...

So what do you think about heat of ESC and motor, which both are inside now ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All electronic installed incl. shorty LiPo 1400g on the kitchenscale. 100g less then my DS211x and 80g less then my original Dyna Strom (but differnet rims).

Did a run through my flat (with no return :D ) and it looks pretty promissing.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Collin said:

All electronic installed incl. shorty LiPo 1400g on the kitchenscale. 100g less then my DS211x and 80g less then my original Dyna Strom (but differnet rims).

Did a run through my flat (with no return :D ) and it looks pretty promissing.

No return? Got stuck under the bed Tom?:)

Regarding the body: If the scratches are only from inside, I guess the paint would cover these. Shouldn´t be too much visible from outside, as the Lexan is the clearcoat for the paint...

But maybe I didn´t get your intention on this task correctly.

Have a nice evening,

Matthias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's GORGEOUS, so imagine that'd it'd do pretty well against it's "little" brother the TRF201. Are you going to fab up a rear bumper?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, GTodd said:

That's GORGEOUS, so imagine that'd it'd do pretty well against it's "little" brother the TRF201. Are you going to fab up a rear bumper?

There already is a rear bumper :)

mid_ds_061.jpg

 

Or isnt it bumper enought for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Postmaaaan! :D

mid_ds_077.jpg

I use kimbrough servosaver on all my RC. I really like them. SRT recommended by fella @Tizer , looks great, feels well made and sounds like a Geiger counter. brr tktktkt brt brt

Electronic is done for now, probably I swith to brushless once I am bored of maintenancing brushed motors...

mid_ds_078.jpg

mid_ds_079.jpg

mid_ds_080.jpg


all fits under the shell without bending anything. Just need to poke a LiPo saver in somewhere there. I planned to use the squarish spot on the battery brace for that but cables everywhere there...

mid_ds_081.jpg

 

But still have a plan for another version of the mid chassis. Removing the pink marked part of the sidepanel will give you access to slip the LiPo in sidewards. Would need to remove the center columns/battery mount and replace it with four new ones (green dots). I am not shure how much the sidepanel gives the stiffness to the chassis but I think with the long upper chassis plate its not too much. Anyway, just idears, but lets keep it in mind.
mid_ds_082.jpg

 

Next step, painjob. Hope I dont mess it up at the end... :unsure:

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Collin said:

There already is a rear bumper :)

mid_ds_061.jpg

 

Or isnt it bumper enought for you?

Hahaha very well them! Well played.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing, I am a bit blind with rims and tyres meanwhile. I have my favorite but would like to hear your opinion as well. What do you guys think about rubber/rims combination?

There are original DS rims and rubbers and the Nimrod ones made of carbonreinforced filament with modern Proline rubbers... 

mid_ds_083.jpg

mid_ds_084.jpg

mid_ds_085.jpg

mid_ds_086.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Tom, nice idea with the fan blowing the hot air above the motor out of the shell!

For your tire choice, they can all look good, the nimrod copies are just a great touch, guess you want to test them anyway!?

For optical reasons, it´s for me much related to your paintjob! Maybe you keep the decision until you can look at it with your finished body?;)

For the sideways Lipo: Probably best solution would be, to check how much influence on the f/r weight distribution you could get with it. For my understanding, it would only be an advantage, if you could get even more weight to the front without the need of additional ballast weights. From the electronics installation point, I find it cleaner the way it is now! 

But you´re right, it´s not the mega change, so could also be nice to leave the choice up to the buyers, as an the Super Astute. If I remember correctly, it had also the holes to setup the battery as on the normal Astute sideways...:lol:

Good luck for your paintjob!

Matthias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Morning. You are right, I will weit until the body is painted. On my DS211x there are already turbine wheels printet from PETG and they are tested : ) The fist verion did not last long but the second one it really strong.

About the fan, it was @Muvro who brought me on the idear, that it could be a bit warm under the shell. I had one laying around so just doubletaped it on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My beloved and hated painting skills. Usually I do the dip-in-technique :lol:, but this time I tried zen meditation and applied thin layers. :ph34r:

mid_ds_087.jpg

mid_ds_088.jpg

mid_ds_089.jpg

mid_ds_091.jpg

All went fine, just the A-Pillars are not the same wide. I did not saw it when I applied the window stickers inside. First I thought to pinstripe them, but definitly it would have been a big mess at the end. Its good when you know your skills. :) Also I already cutted all MCI decals and will "dry-stick" them later or tomorrow, just to let it be like this for some time to see how I like it.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sticky fingers... could not wait to put the decals on. Well, look!

mid_ds_092.jpg

mid_ds_093.jpg

mid_ds_094.jpg

mid_ds_095.jpg

mid_ds_096.jpg

mid_ds_097.jpg

mid_ds_098.jpg

Hmmm... the second shell I did in my life. First one was '93 and I started to paint from outside : )
I started very intuitv, removed the "Riders on the Sorm" sticker, would start with the sidepole decals, the whole block, a bit more at the rear to have them better alingned with the shell shape. MCI Decals have this small white line, just saw it after pealing the sticker off the paper but did not cut it off then. Would be nice if the print of the decals was just not that, otherwhise they are really well done. But I know from myself with printing parts, its not always perfect, but it works pretty well.

About the wing, its a 3d printed one and needs to be tested. There is still the clear one which is already cutted and drilled. Unpainted looks very sporty but some more of this blue could not harm. maybe with a very thin red line at the end. : )

And the front bumper is still missing... but I am really, really happy with how it all went out. Cant wait to run it, yeeeeyeeeee.....

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Collin said:

Sticky fingers... could not wait to put the decals on. Well, look!

mid_ds_092.jpg

mid_ds_093.jpg

mid_ds_094.jpg

mid_ds_095.jpg

mid_ds_096.jpg

mid_ds_097.jpg

mid_ds_098.jpg

Hmmm... the second shell I did in my life. First one was '93 and I started to paint from outside : )
I started very intuitv, removed the "Riders on the Sorm" sticker, would start with the sidepole decals, the whole block, a bit more at the rear to have them better alingned with the shell shape. MCI Decals have this small white line, just saw it after pealing the sticker off the paper but did not cut it off then. Would be nice if the print of the decals was just not that, otherwhise they are really well done. But I know from myself with printing parts, its not always perfect, but it works pretty well.

About the wing, its a 3d printed one and needs to be tested. There is still the clear one which is already cutted and drilled. Unpainted looks very sporty but some more of this blue could not harm. maybe with a very thin red line at the end. : )

And the front bumper is still missing... but I am really, really happy with how it all went out. Cant wait to run it, yeeeeyeeeee.....

 

Finally, "Trackless Tom" is on it´s way!:)

Looks clean and suptle, and it´s really your second shell Tom? Therefore the result is great, when I think of my second shell...:lol:

Was already guessing, where the "riders on the storm" is put on, but guess you have another duplicate for the second shell.

Really jealous abot your first ride, but after my vaccation I hope to continue on "muddy Matthew´s" ride!:lol:

Have fun running it for the first time and let us know your first impressions compared to the rear motor original!

Kind regards,

Matthias

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I really like the fact, that the springs you digged out are black!:) Brings a nice modern touch on the famous sleeved dampers. :wub:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, also dhe dark rims looks great with the rest. Indeed I have a second set of custom decals, so it does not hurt if one gets damaged when put on the wrong place. Also tis is a huge plus for repro decals on runner-shells. With an original set it would be really a thrill.

It will take some time for the first run, I need to get the bumper first which micht be at the end of this or next week. So you still can be the first when you catch up ; )

Btw. I will send you all my Muddy Matts I have left, 2 or three pairs at least.

Hah you got me, its my third shell. I forgot about the two-tone Blitzer Beetle I did some time ago with my EX. But she was a teacher so she is used to do this kind of stuff :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cant wait to finishe it. :D

Got some time to print a bit and some parts. I am curious about the kickup, will be a good test for material strenght :)

mid_ds_099.jpg

mid_ds_100.jpg

Well, just need to glue the tires and ready for the first run. But have no glue :unsure:  Monday then... :lol:

mid_ds_101.jpg

A colourfade of Dyna Red & Blue. Original, DS211X and midDS.

Project closed. Its done.

 

 

From now on Hop-Ups! ;) :lol:

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 8:35 PM, Collin said:

Fella @Tamiyabigstuff got one left for me which now most probably going back to @bjorklo

How much one thing goes around 😂

hehe, yeah hope so :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2020 at 3:51 PM, ruebiracer said:

Shame on my head, I remember you said in some of our first mails, that it was a TC member, probably I overread that it was Björklo himself!!!:D

@bjorklo

Thank you so much, for giving me this opportunity to build the mid storm! 

Kind regards,

Matthias

 

No problem :-) didn't know I wanted to build one at that time :-) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bjorklo said:

No problem :-) didn't know I wanted to build one at that time :-) 

Your new one is already here in my sparebox waiting for you. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 12:53 PM, bjorklo said:

No problem :-) didn't know I wanted to build one at that time :-) 

Cool, that you will also build one of thes Björklo!;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, had the first ride, first impression, first flip-over, first 3d printed rear hub broken. But bevor I mentioned that something was slipping around the drivetrain. Locked the Diff, nope, locked it even more, nothing.


MDC is a bit of a "little puppy"... if you take it off the shaft and back again, be 100% shure that all metal-discs totally sit on the flattened part of the mainshaft. Othervice clutch is slipping with "normal" setting of the nut.

Well, all this happened befor I went to the track. I hat a call with the head of a Club nearby and I can go there any time to have my testrun. Its all day-access there. Sounts good to me, now I have to find out how much I fit into that club thing, hmmm... we´ll see.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First track experience today and I have to say it was superfun! I will signe in imediatly, no more garden run, no more destructed flowers and no mad sister : )

First of all, the 13x2 brushed motor is far enough for my dirving skills now and I start very sensitiv, no jums, just rolling over the course. I dont want to destroy everything on the first day. But I immediatly mentioned there is a huge potential with thes mid Dyna once I got some track-driving skills.

This is some material I captured with my phone, so tell me what you can read out of it please. For me, I dont have too much experience at all, just my TR-15T in the parking lot and my Dynas in the garden. But for a vehicle it moves pretty nice around the corners and also feels stable when going straight forward. On thoes little jumps I mentioned that the weight ballance is really cool because the car wanted to go down with the nose on its own.

https://a-tom.org/tc/midDS_firstTestrun.mp4

:wub:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Collin said:

So, had the first ride, first impression, first flip-over, first 3d printed rear hub broken. But bevor I mentioned that something was slipping around the drivetrain. Locked the Diff, nope, locked it even more, nothing.


MDC is a bit of a "little puppy"... if you take it off the shaft and back again, be 100% shure that all metal-discs totally sit on the flattened part of the mainshaft. Othervice clutch is slipping with "normal" setting of the nut.

Well, all this happened befor I went to the track. I hat a call with the head of a Club nearby and I can go there any time to have my testrun. Its all day-access there. Sounts good to me, now I have to find out how much I fit into that club thing, hmmm... we´ll see.

Hey sounds great Tom, real track testing!;)

Don´t be afraid too much of the club thing, just take your time to get a taste of it. For sure some guys will initially tell you to buy the latest buggy of XY and that this old Tamiya is rubbish, but maybe there are some oldschoolguys too, who understand what you are doing and why. Vintage rules!:lol:

Yeah, MDC needs to sit properly. In a rush this can happen. Was the flipover the reason you search a wingmount?:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...