Collin

Mid-Storm, just another Dyna.

@bjorklo

@Avante2001R

2.5mm motorplate made of airplane aluminum. :)
mid_ds_117.jpg

Two sets already gone, one conversion kit still available (perfect xmas yourself or lockdown project)  ;) 

@ruebiracer See, there are the metal braces for the rear side of the suspension mount which might help to save the mounts from cracking through hard impact. Great idear man! Thanks.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Avante2001R said:

Amazing!! Can’t wait :)

You will love this kit. It fits all so nice together with just a few new parts.

This is V13 of the motorplate:
mid_ds_118.jpg

Now the gearcover is totaly centered with the mainshaft. The bottom mount (which I dont use) should fit also, but not with my heavy (and tall) version of the suspension mounts. With the original ones it should fit fine. I cant test it right now but should do a drybuild. Even if you cut the lower mount the gearcover will be tight, its more about a little detail.

mid_ds_119.jpg

Double braced suspesion mount. I cant do anymore, its totaly to the limit now. Next level would be a Tamiya tank kit. :lol:

The rear bumper does not fit anymore, I have to cut 1.5mm at the top. No big deal at all.

Mid Dyna is ready for the track again!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@bjorklo

@Avante2001R

Another little bit, this are pa12 nylon SLS prints of rear bumper and connecors, already primer and black painted ;)

mid_ds_120.jpg

Unfortunitly I needed to "break" both connectors to paint them inside and took the "breaking-out-of-a-tree" feeling away. Life is hard, I know. :lol: 
Lathe is tuned and mainshafts will be done one nice evening in near future. The nice face of lockdown 2.0.

Cheerio my friends.

• Like 3

Congratulations @Collin, looks fantastic. Hope to hear of your successes with it at the track! :)

EDIT: I'm rather envious of your little lathe. Wish I had room for one here.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mud4fun said:

Congratulations @Collin, looks fantastic. Hope to hear of your successes with it at the track! :)

EDIT: I'm rather envious of your little lathe. Wish I had room for one here.

Track tests are successfully done, my Dyna DB211x and the Mid conversion are no more children toys, they are through puberty and well growen up :lol: Now is winterseason and with begin of next spring I am fully prepaired. The Dyna Blaster came a bit short this year also.

I organized space around the lathe, somehow my livingroom will be the new working room. And because of all the metal flakes I am cleaning very often now. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lalalal-Latheeee... its such a nice and meditating work, cant tell you how much enjoyed the last hours playing around with it. The days bevor I spent the time disassambeling the lathe, cleaning and readjusting it. Works like a charme.

mid_ds_121.jpg

Half way is done. Cutting threads next and fitting the hex with grub-screw, cutting both ends and its ready for coating. I will DIY copper-coat it with electrolysis. Thats what I can do on my own. Technically I could do the splines also but this will be the next level for me. Guys I cant tell you how happy I am to have solved this key-part for further mid motor conversions. :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/13/2020 at 8:06 PM, Collin said:

Lalalal-Latheeee... its such a nice and meditating work, cant tell you how much enjoyed the last hours playing around with it. The days bevor I spent the time disassambeling the lathe, cleaning and readjusting it. Works like a charme.

mid_ds_121.jpg

Half way is done. Cutting threads next and fitting the hex with grub-screw, cutting both ends and its ready for coating. I will DIY copper-coat it with electrolysis. Thats what I can do on my own. Technically I could do the splines also but this will be the next level for me. Guys I cant tell you how happy I am to have solved this key-part for further mid motor conversions. :wub:

Just Wow Tom! Looks super cool, what a result! And even trying to coat it at home, just unbelievable. Let us know your electrolysis setup, please! Just being back from 2 weeks business trip, I hope to find the time to do my Super Dyna wing, soon...;)

Kind regards,

Matthias

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

And even trying to coat it at home, just unbelievable.

Noo, not at home : ) Will do that in the workshop in the dirt area with the ventilation system. I will do it very simple with Copper sulfate and my lab - power supply. It just need a thin layer of copper to not start to rust.

• Thanks 1

Step by step, I am in no hurry. My little yellow helper is such a charme. :wub:

mid_ds_122.jpg

Now its only the m4 thread left and the m3 for grub screws on aloy hex. I am not shure if I cut the m4 on the lathe or with by hand. Will give it a try befor doing it on the good shafts, would be a pitty to destroy one of them.

mid_ds_123.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Collin said:

Step by step, I am in no hurry. My little yellow helper is such a charme. :wub:

mid_ds_122.jpg

Now its only the m4 thread left and the m3 for grub screws on aloy hex. I am not shure if I cut the m4 on the lathe or with by hand. Will give it a try befor doing it on the good shafts, would be a pitty to destroy one of them.

mid_ds_123.jpg

Great work Tom, absolutely stunning. The little lathe is even more than a lathe being able to make the 2-flat for the slipper!:wub:

Very good skills and toolings you bought the fine slots look excelllent. These will make more fantastic mid motor kits!

• Thanks 1

Anyone of you have doubts about using grub screw to keep the hex in position? I dont have any but would like to hear your opinion.

8 hours ago, Collin said:

Anyone of you have doubts about using grub screw to keep the hex in position? I dont have any but would like to hear your opinion.

I would have no doubt about it, Tom!;) It works on the pinion, too. In case, there still is Loctite 648, which fixes everything metal to metal.:D

But maybe you should ask your customers, who want the shafts!:)

Greets, Matthias

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Collin said:

Grub screw is fine after all we use it for motor pinions.

• Like 2

Great to hear you agree with me.

I brought six shafts to a local company for galvanic. My DIY copper coating dod not stuck to the bare metal. Probably it would have need some other treatment bevor. Now they will be nice and shiny finished and no way to rust. Pickup on Thursday.

Now its only the MCI decals I am waiting for and your kits are ready for shipping.

• Like 1

Nice little hand knitted custom conversion kits. I love my job :wub:

mid_ds_124.jpg

Because shiny and chrome is the new blue. :D

• Like 3

I built a new gearbox with new bearings and new internals, every shaft spins like the original one. I am very satisfied.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think so too. Maybe one of the best presents you can give to yourself. :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Collin said:

I think so too. Maybe one of the best presents you can give to yourself. :lol:

Can´t stop adoring mine, Tom. Unfortunately the cold weather stops me from finishing my wing.:wacko:

1 hour ago, ruebiracer said:

Can´t stop adoring mine, Tom. Unfortunately the cold weather stops me from finishing my wing.:wacko:

Leave it clear, put some Sitcker on and ready to run. Simple as it can be :lol:

Oh man, I cant tell you but some new projects are growing here. Just made some orders at Seidel and Tamico for basic spare parts of Super Astute and other standard parts. Oh lalaaaa... :wub:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Collin said:

Leave it clear, put some Sitcker on and ready to run. Simple as it can be :lol:

Oh man, I cant tell you but some new projects are growing here. Just made some orders at Seidel and Tamico for basic spare parts of Super Astute and other standard parts. Oh lalaaaa... :wub:

Probably I´ll leave a part of the wing clear, and paint the rest. I want the classic look, not the modern look without paint.:D

That sounds interesting Tom! Either you expand your product line on the Super Astute platform, or you want to adapt the slipper clutch of the SA on the Dyna Storm as option. That´s my best guess!:lol: Maybe I´ll should check Seidel, which parts are sold out now!;)

Curious as always, Matthias

45 minutes ago, ruebiracer said:

Maybe I´ll should check Seidel, which parts are sold out now!;)

Reverse engineering my shoppinglist? Keen and clever you are, young ruebiracer.:lol:

Super Astute is very related to the Dyna Storm in Tamiya evolution history. So its just logical to whiden the spectrum of posibilities for this bit.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Collin said:

Reverse engineering my shoppinglist? Keen and clever you are, young ruebiracer.:lol:

Super Astute is very related to the Dyna Storm in Tamiya evolution history. So its just logical to whiden the spectrum of posibilities for this bit.

Happy to be your padavan!:lol: The Dyna force is with you!