Sign in to follow this  
Hl0107

Tamiya Bruiser electronics upgrade recomendations

Hello guys, 

I just order a rere Bruiser and I was wondering if there is a good motor and esc combo for it maybe something water proof that can do some crawling.
The motor and servos that comes with the kit are good or its the best to buy something better?
Can you recommend me something that doesn't break the bank. 
I'm not looking for too much speed just a better electronics.

Thanks for your help,
Hector

I would be reluctant to change the motor. A stock silvercan can be run submerged underwater as long as you oil it afterwards but then if you ran a bruiser in conditions that were that wet you would probably need to take bits of it apart and clean it and regrease / oil it very thoroughly afterwards as well. There is a moulded plastic box that houses the servos, esc and receiver at the back of the chassis but this is more splash proof than water proof.

If you are going to change the motor to something with more torque you should consider the slipper clutch hopup - its worth buying anyway i think to provide some protection to the gearbox.

The rere kit doesnt come with servos you would need to buy them separately. At least mine didnt and i dont think ive seen a non XB kit with them.

Overall if you are wanting a capeable crawler that you can run in thick mud up a 50 degree bank in pouring rain im thinking the Bruiser may not be the best choice as there are other crawler kits out there with better weather sealing.

But - on the other hand in terms of build experience and how enjoyable and engaging it is to assemble the chassis and finish the body there is nothing else like it. I spent about four months on it - not rushing but I loved every minute of it.

• Like 1

Thank you Superluminal.
So I need an esc and two servos?
Maybe two Futaba S3004 or those new cheap ones that are red 20 kg, full metal, high torque and are all over amazon and the internet?
and for esc a Hobbywing QuicRun WP 1080.

Ive got a 1060 esc in mine as thats perfect for the standard silvercan motor and is waterproof.

I wasnt too fussed with waterproof servos as they also sit inside that plastic enclosure which is quite high up on the chassis. If they were getting wet it would probably mean the axles and gearbox were submerged which would seem to be a bigger problem to me.

• Like 1