SuperChamp82

40th Ann 934 - Hop Ups

I spent far too long sitting on the fence about buying one of these but @Shodog (belatedly) won me over 😂

I’m good for the obvious hop ups - one way front diff, hollow carbon shafts, drive joint cups, front shafts and touring car turnbuckles / bushings / ball connectors etc - but would really appreciate views on dampers and power ?

The mainstream choice seems to be 2 packs of pink low friction dampers with a Sport Tuned motor - which is fine but left me wondering about TRF Big Bore, Fluorine Coated or Short (Hard Black) sets ?

Also what about a punchier SuperStock motor maybe with a better ESC - TEU 302BK ? Possibly even a Tamiya brushless set up - noting I like to keep things tied to the old red n blue !

Finally, does anyone know if the TA05 titanium screw pack is the closest match for bits ? 

Or if anyone here has a Tamiya CF chassis plate set - the 53195 one - they’d be prepared to part with ?! 

Thanks in advance 👍

I think that the ta02 is a great looking chassis and should be hopped up with period parts, I'm biased in that mine has all period hop ups and electrics. 

Black sport tuned looks good and not expensive but a Dyna-run or Acto tuned Touring motor would be the bees knees. 

53155 or 53280 dampers are nice as are the other super low friction damper sets purple, pink/silver, blue, blue/silver and black. 

You could do red turnbuckles and ball connectors with blue dampers to give you the "old n blue!" 👍

A CPR 160 and 2400SP battery pack to top it off! 

A carbon chassis set is a must😉

• Like 3

Buy the carbon chassis plates off the german dude from ebay.

He will make them 6mm shorter to correct the wheelbbase issue if you email to ask him. The quality of them was very good.

• Like 1

We’re def cut from similar cloth re period electrics + hop ups @svenb 😂

All of my builds and NIB have got to offer an authentic out of box experience - even down to options available at the time ! 

My issue with the 40th Ann 934 has always been the unnecessary wheelbase gaff - with the kit itself actually including enough goodies to remain good value. 

So, for me, easy (and long running) TA02 hop ups are great but electrics, power and dampers move more rapidly with time - with period choices arguably taking into account the 40th Ann was actually a 2016 car ?

That’s sort of why I asked about more modern options - TRF Dampers, better ESCs, Custom Pack batteries, Super Stock motors etc ?

Older TA02 hop ups are clearly superb - but feel a bit like pretending the TA02SW isn’t mutton dressed as lamb ... which it def is in 40th Ann form and, after a bit of an epiphany 😂 is no less desirable !

• Like 1

Agree with you about the 2016 rerelease, Super stock TZ with a TEU302BK or a tble-02 with a 10.5t tamiya brushless. 

Blue turnbuckles would go with the black and aluminium. 

And just for @TwistedxSlayer a full set of hex titanium screws 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks @svenb - I think 2016 deserves up to date Tamiya brushless 🤔

And great advice re the blue aluminium turnbuckles - although I think I’d have to measure then pick each up piecemeal unless there’s a blue / TRF pack ?

What was everyone’s view on dampers ? I guess the TA02SW will cope with any Touring car set - and am quite tempted by the TRF Big Bore pack ?

Would v much appreciated a quick PM when you get time @TwistedxSlayer re a pack of titanium screws ?

Thanks again all 👍

• Like 1

@SuperChamp82 me and @svenb have this thing on going about Titanium screws, I am not the best person to speak to about them, however @svenb is. 

Dampers, on the other hand, the chassis will cope with any touring car set, the TRF big bore set, is very good looking and if I could afford a set I’d stick in my TB01 shelf queen.

Is this build going to be a runner or shelfer? If it’s going on the shelf, I’d be tempted for the brushed Superstock Motor, if your going to run it then brushless all the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

😅 @TwistedxSlayer is unfortunately correct! I do have an unhealthy obsession with Titanium screws.

If you want I'll work out what you need, I'm sure all sizes would be available except maybe for the CSK 3x25mm that go through the bottom deck. Finding a set for another model and cherry picking from that is cheaper if possible. 

As for the blue turnbuckles it's 3 packs off 54247

Sven 

• Like 1

That’s good advice @TwistedxSlayer - thank you 👍

Hadn’t realised @svenb was having fun re titanium screw sets 😂

A quick view on the right sizes / packs for the 40th Ann would be very much appreciated sir ? 

I’m pretty much learning from scratch re Tamiya brushless rigs - largely because my modern stuff has just defaulted to Castle or Orion combos 

It may just be bad luck ? but a quick check on here suggests a few of us have had overheating and punch issues with both the TBLE-02 and 03 when paired with a 10.5t TBLM-02 ?

So, whilst this will be predominantly a shelfer, I always run my built cars once or twice a year on dry days to keep things ‘healthy’ - and have fun stripping them / rebuilding 😂 - so the SuperStock / 302BK pairing may be a better bet ?

Also - would you guys go Big Bore regular or Super Short for the dampers ? I also think both needs the bigger TRF ball connectors ?

Again, thoughts v much appreciated !

• Like 1

Went for the SuperStock TZ recommended by @svenb - now just need to find a NIB 302BK 😂

Any thoughts on dampers gents ?

And are the 53310 anodised universals worth the performance vs expense ? Plus are they the 39mm rear or 44mm front ?!

I’ve been quite careful not to drift into an overweight, blue bling crate but a more robust drive may be better aligned with the rest of the future build ? 

Thanks again 👍

Don't think you'd see the difference with the universals. Not got your usage anyway.

I'd go for a set of TRF shocks but not the Big Bores. I personally don't feel they are needed.

• Like 2

Thanks @TwistedxSlayer - did some more reading + ended up agreeing with you.

Not enough hours running for the stamina / significant expense of universals to be worthwhile. 

And Big Bore Dampers would be too much - almost drifting into expensive bling for a kit that’s possibly pitched on the thrifty side ?

Ended up going for a much better priced set of 42102 TRF Special Dampers - and some softer red springs 👍

Is there a titanium screw bag set I should look out for @svenb ? 

Again, it’s really more for the build enjoyment than eeeking out race gain from a 20g ? weight saving 😂

Thanks again both.

• Like 1

Not so much of a "set" available, I'll work out tonight what screws are needed. 

Have you got the stabilizer set and adjustable camber links? 

I would have universal shafts, definitely if used👍 but the blue collar on the 53310 set is barely visible. 

Sven 

IMG_20200505_195001.jpg

• Like 1

The super short and big bore dampers don't need the larger trf ball connectors 👍

• Like 1

I've just had a quick count up of screws on my ta02. 

Round head

3x6mm x2

3x10mm x30(minus 2 if using a stabilizer set) 

3x14mm x4

3x18mm x2(if using a stabilizer set) 

Counter sunk

3x10mm x2

3x12mm x15

3x25mm x4

All this is assuming your using the hex head tamiya screws. Using earlier JIS screws a few would need to be slightly different. 

Sven 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SuperChamp82 said:

Thanks @TwistedxSlayer - did some more reading + ended up agreeing with you.

Not enough hours running for the stamina / significant expense of universals to be worthwhile. 

And Big Bore Dampers would be too much - almost drifting into expensive bling for a kit that’s possibly pitched on the thrifty side ?

Ended up going for a much better priced set of 42102 TRF Special Dampers - and some softer red springs 👍

Is there a titanium screw bag set I should look out for @svenb ? 

Again, it’s really more for the build enjoyment than eeeking out race gain from a 20g ? weight saving 😂

Thanks again both.

I think that's the same set of dampers that I fitted on my Ultimate TB01 build

• Like 1

Titanium list very much appreciated @svenb - thank you sir 👍

First glance on eBay suggests it’s also on the expensive side if you buy each piecemeal ?

Are there any Tamiya sets that take down the bulk + just leave a packet or two ?

And yes re the 53189 stabilisers ! Wasn’t aware of adjustable camber links though ?

@TwistedxSlayer - can you remember if the 42102 damper set used standard ball connectors / nuts or bigger TRF ?

If they’re normal 5mm, I’ll blow £10 on the blue aluminium hop ups for pure eye candy !

Oh - and can you fit the blue aluminium 1mm damper retainers so black plastic doesn’t spoil the effect ?

Thanks again both - v much appreciate you taking the time to educate me 👍

• Like 2

👍 No problems 

Adjustable camber links 53192 and 53191 adjustable steering links. 

The blue - 1mm spring retainers will work with the dampers. 

5mm ball connectors required for the damper set so bling away 😉

• Like 3

I'll have a browse through what I have to see if any titanium kits come near to what you want. 

Sven 

• Like 1

As mentioned by above! Standard 5mm ball connectors. I have some lovely black alloy ones on my build I found them stiff. I may need to rebuild mine at some point. If using the red springs as planned you should be fine.

• Like 1

Thanks @svenb @TwistedxSlayer - v much appreciated both 

@OCD is now helping me out as well !

I’m thinking smaller gearing for the TEU 302BK / SuperStockTZ car and bigger for the TBLE-02 / TBLM 10.5t brushless in the other - would that be about right ?

The consensus seems to be it best balances usual motor heat + current draw issues w/o popping either ESC ? 

So maybe 18t, 19t and 20t pinions on a 74t spur gear brushed and just 22t / 23t pinions on the same spur for brushless ?

The stock 21t pinion looks ok for both 👍

You’re a bad influence @svenb 😂

This is where my TRF 40th Ann ended up:

Tamiya Finespec Set 45059 

Tamiya Hi Torque Servo Saver 51000

Tamiya Aluminium Servo Stays 53596

Tamiya TBLM 10.5t Brushless 54611 

Tamiya TBLE-02 ESC 45057 

Tamiya ESC Fan 45063 

Tamiya LiFe Battery & Charger 55102 / 55103 

Tamiya 22T + 23T Pinions 50357 

Tamiya Carbon fibre chassis set 53195 

Tamiya TRF Special Damper Set 42102 

Tamiya Blue Aluminium Damper Retainers 54776

Tamiya Blue Aluminium Ball Connectors 53642

Tamiya Blue Aluminium Ball Nuts 53640

Tamiya On Road Spring Tuning Set 53163

Tamiya Aluminium King Pins 53197

Tamiya 4wd Suspension Shaft Set 53098 

Tamiya Rear Stabiliser Set 53189 

Tamiya Blue Turnbuckles 54247 

Tamiya One Way Front Differential 53200

Tamiya Universal Shaft Set 53310

Tamiya Hard Joint Cup Set (ball diff) 53217

Tamiya Hard Joint Cup Set (gear diff) 53218

Tamiya Hollow Carbon Gear Shaft Set 53164 

Tamiya Hi Speed Gear Set 47393 

Tamiya Pin Type Wheel Adaptors 53056

Tamiya 4wd Touring & Rally Urethane Bumper Set 53145 

Tamiya Blue 3x6mm Screws 42327

Tamiya Blue 3x8mm Screws 53766

Tamiya Blue 3x10mm Screws 53767

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed 👍

Don't forget the tungsten diff balls, aluminuim pressure plate set, aluminium front uprights and aluminium hub carriers 😳

I fancy a LiFe battery, where did you get yours from?