Jump to content
junkmunki

De solv it grafitti remover no longer available

Recommended Posts

De solv it Grafitti remover, the one tool in the armoury of the model restorer that would remove old paint from plastic bodies with out damaging them, appears to have been discontinued.

All of the previous stockists are now saying they are not selling it any more, and every trace of it online has vanished. I even phoned up the manufacturer to find a stockist and was told that no one knew anything about it. Its almost as if it never existed.

Anyone know why?

More importantly, does anyone know of anything that does the job as well?

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PaulRC10 said:

Yep, great stuff! 
If you are UK based it’s still in stock in B&Q which is where I always get it, never in store tho (online only).  
https://www.diy.com/departments/de-solv-it-graffiti-remover-0-2l/258775_BQ.prd

B&Q in sheffield always have it on the shelf. It works wonders, still got nearly a whole can, hope its not discontinued!

The manufacturers website never seemed to list it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if it's tough to get with covid? Anything someone thinks could be used to make hand sanitizer seems to be out of stock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Wonder if it's tough to get with covid? Anything someone thinks could be used to make hand sanitizer seems to be out of stock. 

I think that’s more a threat to Whiskey (yes I’m Irish!) than it is to something that could do this to your hands...:(

 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaulRC10 said:

Yep, great stuff! 
If you are UK based it’s still in stock in B&Q which is where I always get it, never in store tho (online only).  
https://www.diy.com/departments/de-solv-it-graffiti-remover-0-2l/258775_BQ.prd

B&Q are not stocking it anymore. I checked with their head office. If you try and order it online, it says not in stock.

They are only stocking the sticky stuff remover which doesn't work.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, junkmunki said:

B&Q are not stocking it anymore. I checked with their head office. If you try and order it online, it says not in stock.

They are only stocking the sticky stuff remover which doesn't work.

J

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

You need this

 

Resized_20200503_142052_1179.jpeg

How quick does it work? How much of a bottle would it take to do a body? How much is it? And lastly, is it 100% lexan safe?

The good thing with desolvit was its quite cheap and works quickly. I did find one body that it wouldnt get the paint off though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes its perfectly safe on lexan. A little dabbed on a piece of kitchen roll goes a long way.

It saved my Avante body from the bin when i accidently picked up gun metal ps paint rather than the smoke.

I got it from Hobbycraft for about 6 quid but i thonk almost every model shop or hobby shop will have it.

Might take a while to strip a whole body but its definitely plastic safe and doesnt cloud it.

Its exactly the same stuff as the tamiya polycarbonate body cleaner but you get four times as much for a billionth of the price

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here. Almost ruined my Dirt Trasher with too old smoke grey spray paint. You can put it on a cloth or Q-tip and reach all areas of your shell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Yes its perfectly safe on lexan. A little dabbed on a piece of kitchen roll goes a long way.

It saved my Avante body from the bin when i accidently picked up gun metal ps paint rather than the smoke.

I got it from Hobbycraft for about 6 quid but i thonk almost every model shop or hobby shop will have it.

Might take a while to strip a whole body but its definitely plastic safe and doesnt cloud it.

Its exactly the same stuff as the tamiya polycarbonate body cleaner but you get four times as much for a billionth of the price

This is great info!  I buy the Tamiya Polycarbonate cleaner and when i do I treat it like liquid gold!  It's expensive and not everyplace stocks it, plus the bottle isn't that big.  I will be trying the Revell stuff next time I need some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used De Solve It on my body painted with Pactra paint - worked great. Probably some EU health and safety law killing off another great product. Guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local store said they never sold any of it.  Staff were all having a look when I used to order to store.  I wonder if it’s just not popular.  I bet if they renamed it ‘Paint remover for polycarbonate RC bodies’ it would sell out.  ;)  Total shame they are going to stop it.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its even disapeared from Amazon and ebay.... They stock everything, so if you cant get it on those sites, there's no hope.

It is very strange how it just disapeared.

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel sorry for you guys, you now have to deal with painted polycarbonate/lexan like we have too:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, mtbkym01 said:

I feel sorry for you guys, you now have to deal with painted polycarbonate/lexan like we have too:ph34r:

we can't even seem to get that Revell paint remover either :mellow: There is some for sale on eBay, but they ship from Europe, probably not a good time to order atm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I suggest having a look into this thread:

 

Edit:

 

And this one too:

 

 

 

Edited by GregM
Link added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yogi-bear said:

we can't even seem to get that Revell paint remover either :mellow: There is some for sale on eBay, but they ship from Europe, probably not a good time to order atm.

I know, I was going to show it to my mate to see if he can get it from the Revell distributor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderland are showing the revell stuff in stock if you are in the uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to get the original gel in a bottle formula from Screwfix,  but that got replaced by the can version, not sure if they still sell it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure there are others around and the oven/bbq cleaner works 

8Pa043O.jpg

I’ve used the Revell stuff brushed onto the shell of the neoscorcher and 15mins later it was peeling lovely 

ZQtBdfO.jpg
 

JJ

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Problemchild said:

I’m sure there are others around and the oven/bbq cleaner works 

8Pa043O.jpg

I’ve used the Revell stuff brushed onto the shell of the neoscorcher and 15mins later it was peeling lovely 

ZQtBdfO.jpg
 

JJ

 

Yep the hard bodies are not so much of a problem, but products for lexan (other than the Tamiya Polycarbonate Cleaner) are not available in Australia. @yogi-bear apparently the Aust Distributor for Revell doesn’t even list the part number for the paint remover, so my mate is going to ask the Rep.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a shame. I was actually thinking of buying some the other day as I had this exact thought -that it might not be available forever... Missed that opportunity. There's probably thousands of cans of this being destroyed somewhere after being recalled for whatever reason. 

For what it's worth, I noticed that this stuff feels a lot like brake fluid when it gets on your fingers, so maybe it is just the same chemicals (glycols) but with a thickener so that it sticks rather than being runny like brake fluid.

I always used to use brake fluid to remove paint from plastic models (polystyrene) with no ill effects but never tried it on polycarbonate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mtbkym01 said:

Yep the hard bodies are not so much of a problem, but products for lexan (other than the Tamiya Polycarbonate Cleaner) are not available in Australia. @yogi-bear apparently the Aust Distributor for Revell doesn’t even list the part number for the paint remover, so my mate is going to ask the Rep.

ah, that's probably why I can't find it anywhere. I wonder why they don't sell it down under. Keen to see how you mate goes too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...