TrueBlue

WTD: Tamiya Avante QD Wheels/Tyres

WANTED: Tamiya Avante Quick Drive Wheels and Tyres.

I recently won the above car off eBay in an auction. While the car was pretty messy, it was just paint and dirt. However, the wheels and tyres are by far the worst part of the car. The tyres have zero tread on them, worn completely smooth, and the wheels are scratched and chipped badly (could save them though).

So currently looking for a set of 4 (front and rear) wheels and tyres for the Avante QD. The wheels don't need to be in perfect condition, as long as they can scrub up nicely. The tyres though, it would be nice if they are in good condition at least. I also believe the same wheels are used across several QD models, so they don't have to be directly from an Avante QD.

Also looking for a gearbox housing and front bumper if anyone has them, but the wheels and tyres are the most needed part so far. Let me if anyone has them and we can negotiate a price. Cheers.

M chassis tyres fit.

Wheels will be hard to find but they do come up sometimes.

Tony's Tamiya parts is a good place to start. 

What colour should the wheels be?.

I had discovered that M-Chassis tyres should fit, so those are going to be a possibility since QD tyres are hard to find.

I can find a few wheels on eBay, gold chrome plastic which look nice, but at £20 quite pricey. I also tried Tony's Tamiya parts recently and they had a lot of QD spare parts, but no wheels or tyres. The wheels can be any colour really. White, silver, black.. as long as they fit, and having the tyres would be a bonus. But I'll probably still go ahead and try some M-Chassis tyres as well.

Another member got some gold wheels for his qd thunder dragon. I'll mention him and see where he got them.

@Jimbothejetsetter any more of those gold qd wheels available anywhere??

New here, these are front only?. Less than 6 quid a pair

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-QD-Front-Wheels-NEW-46001-2-3-9-10/162649822728?hash=item25deaf5608:g:DioAAOSwRbtaKa4A

one pair here (presume rear) new with tyres but silly money 25 quid

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-43002-QD-Rear-Tire-with-Wheel-1-Pair-QD-Thunder-Shot-QD-Super-Sabre/392794369031?hash=item5b745e6c07:g:RbEAAOSw5BVeuCuB

edit just seen the style of the wheel is different so maybe the first ones linked to fit but are not right style? It may not matter to you though

auction postage a bit pricey

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TAMIYA-1-14-QUICK-DRIVE-R-C-43001-PAIR-Front-Tire-with-Wheel-SPARE-PARTS/164189302330?hash=item263a71ee3a:g:thQAAOSwZRFetA1~

Hm-hm, I found those wheels the other day. They are just the front wheels. I'd like to get the rear wheels and tyres, but yeah... a little on the pricey side. 

The auction front wheels are new to me, 1 bid so far which means they're gonna sell, no idea how much though. Postage is a bit up there though.

On 5/12/2020 at 3:21 PM, TrueBlue said:

I also tried Tony's Tamiya parts recently and they had a lot of QD spare parts, but no wheels or tyres

Drop Tony a message as he can order in parts if they are still available to him .

Rims and tires are hard to find, I may have a set of wheels but must check if they fit the Avante (front needs bearings) and I should have a gearbox.

That's very true. Rims are tiny bit easier to find on eBay at the moment, there's a few new rims there but tyres are like gold dust. Let me know what find find though!

On 5/12/2020 at 6:37 PM, wolfdogstinkus said:

Another member got some gold wheels for his qd thunder dragon. I'll mention him and see where he got them.

@Jimbothejetsetter any more of those gold qd wheels available anywhere??

I got them off EBay for a tenner, other sellers were asking £20! There were some new QD wheels with tyres on EBay recently. 

6 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

That's very true. Rims are tiny bit easier to find on eBay at the moment, there's a few new rims there but tyres are like gold dust. Let me know what find find though!

Sorry was a set for the older V1 version, tires are still ok though.

I run M chassis tires on my QD Avant, truck racing rear and rally block front.

Ah, no worries. Thanks for looking though.

I might go down the route of M-Chassis tyres in the end. Something different to the original, if you're running them then I guess they fit well. I was gonna try rally block for the rear and normal tread for the front.

How bad are the rims I do have some spare tires.

If you are on FB there is a QD group where I posted some pictures on alternative tires.

7HtSZocz7kquPinxq0vjq_AOB2YRLdNLb52BrJkp

Found one, F&R m Chassis tires.

• Like 1

Rims aren't too bad. A bit chipped but possibly repairable. Was going to maybe spray them white or black at some point, and keep an eye out for some rims.

The M-Chassis tyres look like they fit quite well in that photo. I tried finding the racing truck M-Chassis tyres, but all I could find were TT-01 and TT-02 tyres. Though one might assume those would fir the M-Chassis as well. May definitely go forward with the M tyres after seeing that photo.

But you said you also had some spare tyres? Are they QD tyres or M tyres, just out of curiosity?

QD tires

96723627_329452301357176_4870678267272626176_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_eui2=AeHWDKPrLHUaXalicocyLghXOkbNtfJfXu06Rs218l9e7aGd9_e2tshGXa6BmShuFjLA1b8L4yUxi2Q9wqJZRcHf&_nc_ohc=4tYCEjvCZXIAX-Q5Pve&_nc_ht=scontent-muc2-1.xx&oh=705c0f2906c3abb8b3b31fc0c35ff2be&oe=5EE70453

The TT racing trucks have m chassis rims hence the confusion.

• Like 1

Oh wow, that's a lot of tyre. All in good condition and complete with spikes.

I found out after a bit of research that the TT-01 racing trucks used the M-Chassis rims. So those are still a possibility for me to get, since they are quite common.

8 hours ago, TrueBlue said:

Oh wow, that's a lot of tyre. All in good condition and complete with spikes.

I found out after a bit of research that the TT-01 racing trucks used the M-Chassis rims. So those are still a possibility for me to get, since they are quite common.

Great on Tarmac and pavement not much on sand/gravel combined with front rally block at least looks good 😁👍

That's what I was thinking... trucks on the rear, rally block on the front. Not much off-road grip but will look good, as you say :D

On 5/15/2020 at 8:28 PM, TrueBlue said:

Rims aren't too bad. A bit chipped but possibly repairable. Was going to maybe spray them white or black at some point, and keep an eye out for some rims.

The M-Chassis tyres look like they fit quite well in that photo. I tried finding the racing truck M-Chassis tyres, but all I could find were TT-01 and TT-02 tyres. Though one might assume those would fir the M-Chassis as well. May definitely go forward with the M tyres after seeing that photo.

But you said you also had some spare tyres? Are they QD tyres or M tyres, just out of curiosity?

Hi there,

I'm also looking to fix the old thundershot QD from my youth... It looks like the rims are not to bad (as in the picture above) but, like mine, they don't fit bearings. Am i right? There is a terrible play in mine...

49 minutes ago, kinxkinx said:

Hi there,

I'm also looking to fix the old thundershot QD from my youth... It looks like the rims are not to bad (as in the picture above) but, like mine, they don't fit bearings. Am i right? There is a terrible play in mine...

The front wheels take bearings, standard 1150 type.. 2 for each wheel..

If you want to fit bearings in the rear, they are mounted inside the gearbox housing.  

I'll link you to a thread which should answer all your questions..

Or just @ me and I'll help if I can

This is the closest you'll get to the original tyres.. I'll provide a link in a minute.

cNYJszi.jpg