TrueBlue

WTD: Tamiya Avante QD Wheels/Tyres

5 hours ago, wolfdogstinkus said:

The front wheels take bearings, standard 1150 type.. 2 for each wheel..

If you want to fit bearings in the rear, they are mounted inside the gearbox housing.  

I'll link you to a thread which should answer all your questions..

Or just @ me and I'll help if I can

This is the closest you'll get to the original tyres.. I'll provide a link in a minute.

cNYJszi.jpg

Many thanks ! I read some of your posts, very interesting for my "project". I'm quite a noob in RC but it looks like we have not the same wheels (and the same axle). Some pictures below : the axle is about 3mm diameter (nut 5.5mm) and the hole in the wheel about 9 mm (so, anyway, a 1150 doesn't fit). And it looks like there is no room for a bearing before the thread, and obviously not in the back. Something I don't get...

20210503_202816.jpg

20210503_202828.jpg

I think I'll try the cheaper rally block. Anyway, I bought some new front-wheels. F40 QD, found on ebay. I'm wondering about the gb-01 chassis tires(40111 and 40112)... Did you try them? Don't find sizes about them.

After that, I have to clean the transmitter (and weld some wires). And hope everything run good after that. At first, before I've opened the transmitter, there was a problem with the acceleration trigger (allways 100%). I broke and lost both  transmiter and car antenas. I'll Try to made some homemade antenas.

(by the way, your qd dragster is awsome... But I'm not  those upgrades suit my 6 years son)

3 hours ago, kinxkinx said:

I think I'll try the cheaper rally block. Anyway, I bought some new front-wheels. F40 QD

(by the way, your qd dragster is awsome... But I'm not  those upgrades suit my 6 years son)

I've heard that there were 2 production runs with slight differences to the later models but I haven't come across one yet..

I let my 9 year old boy drive the brushless Thunder dragon, he has a better chance of hitting 50mph than I do. Lol

I've only just discovered the Kyosho 14x model, but it looks like it's very similar to the Tamiya qd range.?. I could see the front arms are slightly different but the rest of the car looks like an exact copy?

On 5/3/2021 at 8:10 PM, kinxkinx said:

20210503_202816.jpg

20210503_202828.jpg

I've just started stripping a thunder shot and the front wheels are the same as the ones you have, I'm guessing it was an earlier edition as on the chassis plate, it says 1988,,  whereas my thunder dragon says 1989.. so I guess they improved the front wheels later on...

Afterall, I found a set of front and rear wheels. Looks good. Not to expensive (20€)

20210514_181730.jpg

• Like 1